Is it just me? Or is it just a (cough*) Denon

A

AKA-Boss

Audiophyte
Hello everyone, and a Happy New Year to all.
Being my first post here, I'd like to first start off by thanking everyone involved in providing such an outstanding website. Thanks!
So...is it just me? Or is Denon really nothing more than disposable garbage? In the last 15 yrs I have owned a total of 4 Denon AVR's. Every single one of them unexpectedly, and suddenly took a you know what.
AVRX5200W. 2 grand new. 3 years later, I'm standing in the living room. My friends sitting on the couch when I got a knock at the door. Glanced at the screen. Picture was there. Asked, "who is it?", and as I went to go get the door, i looked back over at the screen and the picture was gone. Figured my buddy may have accidentally changed an input with the remote. Negative. So, to wrap up this lengthy post, I'll ask you guys this...Is Denon really that much of a piece of #2???
I've tried everything. TV recognizes the ps4 on it's own input menu select. On screen menu for the Denon shows up. Speaker calibration gives pink noise on all channels. So they're obviously taking to each other. What gives? Has anyone else experienced this with Denon in general? Or is it just me? Any advice or suggestions would be very greatly appreciated. I'ma die overhere w/o my precious Atmos lol. Thanks again everyone
Btw, system is composed, or was composed, of/with a Denon AVRX5200W as my preamp, Emotiva UPA-700 powering the mains, Pioneer Eite A-35R for the overheads, Samsung UHD 4k player, PS4 pro, LG 65UB9200 for the monitor and B&W FPM5, Klipsch center, Eclipse surrounds, and Axiom Sub along with Dayton Audio UM18-22 in a full marty.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Have you done a factory reset? It is listed on page 287 of your owners manual.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might even start with a soft reset (just unplugging it for a bit, good first try at least....you'll lose settings on a full reset).

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Might even start with a soft reset (just unplugging it for a bit, good first try at least....you'll lose settings on a full reset).
He can save all his settings on a flash drive. Only takes about a minute to save or restore all settings.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He can save all his settings on a flash drive. Only takes about a minute to save or restore all settings.
Denon's reload of Audyssey can be done that way now and reloaded that quick? That would be a significant improvement over my 4520 and saving Audyssey settings....reloading Audyssey on mine takes a coupla minutes....let alone any other account settings on apps etc.

A

AKA-Boss

Audiophyte
Holy, my goodness! Wow! I would not have expected such fast replies. I'm flattered.
Yes Sirs, I have tried the reset. Both soft and with the keys on the face of the reciever. Hold pwr while standing on 1 foot and scratching butt, etc etc. But all jokes aside, respectfully speaking, yes. I have tried reset and also the initial setup from the on screen menu, but to no avail. Hopefully I can (with your help of course) figure out this "hiccup", but I fear it's not one. However* the USB thing is new to me. Aswell as the Audessey reload. The manual was poorly written, nonetheless better than no manual of course. I guess what I'm really wondering here is if this is a common thing for Denon AVRs in general. Something along the lines of "bad caps". I mean the picture was there on sec and, poof. It's gone. HDMI surge possibly? And if I may, how would I go about reloading Audessey? I will most definitely try your suggestions regardless of whether or not i tried once before, as soon as finish up with this post. Needless to say, I am very appreciative for your replies and suggestions. Thanks guys! You're awesome, really .
I'm still curious about the Audessey reload though. Any links possibly you can share, Mr. Lovin, and Paul? Or a quick run down of the procedure? Once again, thank you*

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a 4520, the download/reload of Audyssey settings onto my computer (via IP access) is in the manual. I also have an older 3808 I bought used from another AH member. Both work fine. Are you abusing them in some way? Got plenty of ventilation and not being overdriven somehow? I had a roommate a few years ago, he had an older Denon for a very long time I know....can't say I've ever heard of anyone with luck like yours. I did have two bad refurbs from A4L on the 4520 before just going with a new unit, tho. They're consumer electronics so there are going to be bad ones occasionally, but I haven't heard anyone with a story quite like yours....what specific models were they? All purchased new? What kind of speakers have you been using with them (other than your listed ones)?

A

AKA-Boss

Audiophyte
No Sir, I take very good care of my audio equipment. My kids and my friends know not to even as much as think about touching my speakers and God help anyone that attempts to place a glass on one lol. That includes touching the remote. We all know proper ventilation is critical, so indeed it was and is addressed. Unit was new out of the box. No refurb. Speakers varied over the years. From Yamaha NS-777 being the lowest ohm speakers, pulling 6 ohms. Followed by Klipsch R-15M and B&W FPM5. They were always connected to the Emotiva UPA-700 though. Only speakers connected to the Denon were 2 overheads for the Atmos. The other 2 went to a Pioneer A35-R. Only 2 overheads and the subs went to the Denon. Could the amps have caused this? I'm tempted to open her up and check for any blown capacitors on the hdmi board. I haven't yet because, to be honest, I havent spoken with Denon about this yet.

A

AKA-Boss

Audiophyte
As for the other Denons, it was a long time ago. I don't recall what model number they were, except that they were stereo receivers. Speakers A and B basically. No particular bells or whistles. It was the "pre-toslink" era.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No Sir, I take very good care of my audio equipment. My kids and my friends know not to even as much as think about touching my speakers and God help anyone that attempts to place a glass on one lol. That includes touching the remote. We all know proper ventilation is critical, so indeed it was and is addressed. Unit was new out of the box. No refurb. Speakers varied over the years. From Yamaha NS-777 being the lowest ohm speakers, pulling 6 ohms. Followed by Klipsch R-15M and B&W FPM5. They were always connected to the Emotiva UPA-700 though. Only speakers connected to the Denon were 2 overheads for the Atmos. The other 2 went to a Pioneer A35-R. Only 2 overheads and the subs went to the Denon. Could the amps have caused this? I'm tempted to open her up and check for any blown capacitors on the hdmi board. I haven't yet because, to be honest, I havent spoken with Denon about this yet.
Had to ask! The older Denons (generally before they became D&M Holdings) had a pretty good rep and mostly thru the avr era they have too IME and from what I've read generally on fora/audio groups. Doubt the amps would have anything to do with it particularly. Sometimes gear has hdmi handshake issues but that's normally more in the start up sequence. All connections are solid? Try swapping cables around? Try differing inputs? I'd definitely contact Denon, particularly if under warranty.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did stumble across this, but decided to come out of the shadows and ask you guys first
That's difficult to read, but looks like a listing of reset procedures for various models....does the one you used from your manual match or not or ?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hello everyone, and a Happy New Year to all.
Being my first post here, I'd like to first start off by thanking everyone involved in providing such an outstanding website. Thanks!
So...is it just me? Or is Denon really nothing more than disposable garbage? In the last 15 yrs I have owned a total of 4 Denon AVR's. Every single one of them unexpectedly, and suddenly took a you know what.
AVRX5200W. 2 grand new. 3 years later, I'm standing in the living room. My friends sitting on the couch when I got a knock at the door. Glanced at the screen. Picture was there. Asked, "who is it?", and as I went to go get the door, i looked back over at the screen and the picture was gone. Figured my buddy may have accidentally changed an input with the remote. Negative. So, to wrap up this lengthy post, I'll ask you guys this...Is Denon really that much of a piece of #2???
I've tried everything. TV recognizes the ps4 on it's own input menu select. On screen menu for the Denon shows up. Speaker calibration gives pink noise on all channels. So they're obviously taking to each other. What gives? Has anyone else experienced this with Denon in general? Or is it just me? Any advice or suggestions would be very greatly appreciated. I'ma die overhere w/o my precious Atmos lol. Thanks again everyone
Btw, system is composed, or was composed, of/with a Denon AVRX5200W as my preamp, Emotiva UPA-700 powering the mains, Pioneer Eite A-35R for the overheads, Samsung UHD 4k player, PS4 pro, LG 65UB9200 for the monitor and B&W FPM5, Klipsch center, Eclipse surrounds, and Axiom Sub along with Dayton Audio UM18-22 in a full marty.
With 4 failures, I would have to start wondering about the quality of the power delivered to my home! You may have something external to the AVR that is causing problems for sensitive electronic devices.

With that being said, Yammy is the best reliability brand.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have to agree with the post before mine- where are you located and how many bad thunder storms do you have in your area? If you're in Florida, get better power protection- ALL brands have more failures in Florida because of the storms, according to tech support from the brands I have called, as well as one of the few companies that are authorized to service most brands. BTW- a storm doesn't need to be overhead to have an impact on a different area.

Do you see the Denon's menu on the screen?

I installed a Denon AVR in 2006 and replaced it a few years ago only because it didn't have enough HDMI inputs. I installed another one in their 3rd floor system in 2011 and an older model in their exercise room in 2014- none have had problems, even though they're all connected to the main system so they can play the same source music. I have been in the room with the main system and when lightning struck outside, I heard a loud snap in the same room near the ADT cellular transponder, but none of the equipment I had installed has had problems.

Hard to say what caused this without knowing the quality of your power, house wiring, etc.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
That receiver has two HDMI outputs. Did you try both?

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Denon's reload of Audyssey can be done that way now and reloaded that quick? That would be a significant improvement over my 4520 and saving Audyssey settings....reloading Audyssey on mine takes a coupla minutes....let alone any other account settings on apps etc.
Yes, I always save my new settings. A backup or restore takes about a minute. Very easy to do.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Holy, my goodness! Wow! I would not have expected such fast replies. I'm flattered.
Yes Sirs, I have tried the reset. Both soft and with the keys on the face of the reciever. Hold pwr while standing on 1 foot and scratching butt, etc etc. But all jokes aside, respectfully speaking, yes. I have tried reset and also the initial setup from the on screen menu, but to no avail. Hopefully I can (with your help of course) figure out this "hiccup", but I fear it's not one. However* the USB thing is new to me. Aswell as the Audessey reload. The manual was poorly written, nonetheless better than no manual of course. I guess what I'm really wondering here is if this is a common thing for Denon AVRs in general. Something along the lines of "bad caps". I mean the picture was there on sec and, poof. It's gone. HDMI surge possibly? And if I may, how would I go about reloading Audessey? I will most definitely try your suggestions regardless of whether or not i tried once before, as soon as finish up with this post. Needless to say, I am very appreciative for your replies and suggestions. Thanks guys! You're awesome, really .
I'm still curious about the Audessey reload though. Any links possibly you can share, Mr. Lovin, and Paul? Or a quick run down of the procedure? Once again, thank you*
See page 168 of your owners manual. It describes how to both save and restore all settings on your receiver. It only takes about a minute to either save or restore all of your settings.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I have owned 4 Denon's now (and a Yamaha and Onkyo) and never had any issues...only reason I got new ones was for the new tech (HDMI, Atmos, etc.). I have 2 of them running in my house now. I would go back to slipperbidness and look to other issues. I have all my equipment on surge/UPS and never had any issues. In Colorado we had rock solid power to the house, but here in San Antonio we get a lot of brown/black outs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis