Is 6.1 really worth it? (or stay with 5.1 ) ?

E

enigma

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Well, I just bought a new reciever. It´s a dennon avr 1603. I have recieved multiple complaints from friends telling me I should of bought a 6.1 dts es / dd ex reciver instead of a normal 5.1
Does it really make a difference? Is it worth it? and the costa of buying ANOTHER speaker?</font>

<font color='#000000'>I think it depend upon the room size and configuration. The format support for 6.1 is important, but your room may not work well with the addition of a 6th speaker... I know I am building a home and my room was not suited for 6.1, so I nixed the rear center in favor of better positioned 5.1.</font>

E

enigma

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>so adding a 6th speaker is not &quot;killer&quot; as many people believe?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>what i have been told by many people in the industry
is that hollywood is still mixing all new movies in 5.1!

6.1 + 7.1 etc. is all just more effects and hardware sales from the component manufacturers (quadraphonic sound like in the 70's).

that seems to be the audiophile position on the matter.

5.1 is still industry standard but we will see what the future holds???</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I would look at the perponderance of DVDs encoded in 5.1, the 4 that actually have 6.1, and then the potential for using 7.1.  When I was doing my research, it seemed to me that 5.1 or 7.1 was the way to go...6.1 has already become a non-player.  (no, I'm not saying there are only 4 DVDs in 6.1, but the number is rather small).</font>

E

enigma

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>hmm... seems like 6.1 and 7.1 is just to get peoples hard earned money ehh? hmmm</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>My own spin on this is just that 2 fronts + 2 rears + 1 center
(+ subwoofer) is my limit on a setup.

For audio, I like 2-channel SACD, or 44.1PCM, or analog.
For video, anything 5.1 is fine. &nbsp;DTS is good enough, and
the DVD-A is a nice progression. &nbsp;

But vendors, (are you listening?), I am just not going to
put up another pair of speakers in my video room.
Stop the madness!!! &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>I Currently have the whole 6.1 setup. Let me give you my input on the whole debate. I have matched speakers all the way around, all the same distance, and in the recomended circle formation. I have noticed the you do get a fuller sound with the center rear, but I do think you loose some imaging effect in the rear. I noticed things tend to collapse to the middle. With the just the two speakers in the rear you get a better panning effect than you do with three. If you don't have the room to set the rear in the correct location, you may want to wait on the upgrade to EX/ES. Spend some time playing with your rear (huh,huh, I said rear)speakers and get a good image out of them, and you should not need the EX/ES. Although DTS ES is discrete, they make the matrix version as well, same effect as EX. Hope this helps, remember just my opinion.
</font>

G

GermanMan

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>IFF the viewer is one person, you; and you are seated in the perfect location, then you only need 4 speakers and a subwoofer to cover the whole arena - the front center is not needed either if the left and right are properly mixed.

However, the additional speakers are very helpful when there are more folks sitting in the room that are not in the magic location - if you sit to the left or right of center, then a center front does help to re-anchor the center where the actual display device is.

With rears, it can be the same thing, having more helps when you have folks sitting in less ideal locations. &nbsp;If its a rear middle effect, but you happen to be sitting close to the rear left speaker, then it will sound like a rear left effect and you miss out on much of the rear right. &nbsp;Putting &nbsp;a channel in the middle of the rear (or two) can and should help to improve the audio experience for theose friends and relatives that do not get to sit in YOUR seat in the center of it all.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>When I upgraded my receiver I went with the 6.1(onkyo) because my room lends itself to having a center rear.  I personally am very pleased with it.  I think it adds a transition effect.  Although it's true there aren't many titles out with DTS-ES or DD-EX, when you find them it's great.  Having said that, I don't think I would upgrade for this reason alone.
</font>

G

GermanMan

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Another aspect of 6.1 or 7.1 that has not been addressed, as it is not yet a reality, but may become one if you keep your equipment till it breaks or truely becomes obsolete - 6-15 years or who knows....

Home Theater PC - While there are few DVD's that currently support 6.1 or 7.1 &nbsp;- what about game software supporting these formats and feeding out DTS ES streams? &nbsp;Not now, but what about 3-4 years from now? &nbsp;Things to consider if you are buying a new receiver now that you plan to use for a decade or more.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis