iRule iOS and Android WiFi Universal Remote Control System

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Thanks to all that great gear I review, I have another problem on my hands: getting all those devices to talk together. That requires a pretty deceit remote. You see, while the average consumer upgrades once every couple of years, I have to upgrade every couple of weeks. And that kind of amps up my remote control needs. So needless to say I need a good remote. A couple of months ago we ran through a couple of batches of Bluetooth and IR remotes. But we only touched upon what we consider to be the next generation of remotes, the most powerful - the WiFi remote. This is a system that connects into your existing WiFi network and then allows your iOS or Android deice to control your equipment without the confusion or hassle of Bluetooth or the errancy or line-of-site issues of IR.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/yaMZWTYwLxk" frameborder="0" height="253" width="450"></iframe>​

Discuss "iRule iOS and Android WiFi Universal Remote Control System" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
itschris

itschris

Talk about service... I just posted questions about this in a new post yesterday. So basically, the Global Cache box get all your equipment on your network. You just setup iRule on your iPad, setup your equipment, create your macros, and that's it?

It seems like exactly what I've been wanting. I almost bought a new Harmony RF this weekend, the I had the buy the RF box, etc... and after looking at $400+ I thought to myself that I really don't think I should have to spend that much to make my system more usable. Granted, I want a good looking slick piece of equipment that does it, but still.

I think this may be the way to go.

Last edited:
internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
Now this is interesting... more information and system setups?

I have a Harmony RF remote and I love it. It works extremely well and I have pretty much no issues. HOWEVER, I'm looking for a second and third solution for remote control capabilities in other rooms. RF is too far away and I was looking at the Harmony WiFi and iOS solution.

This, however, is very interesting to me and I'd love to learn more about potential solutions. Right now, I'm using a Niles IR distribution system. My main system is centered around an Anthem AVM 50v. However, with this solution, could I theoretically plug this into the Anthem's RS-232 port and then use the Anthem's IR built-in distribution block to communicate with my non-RS-232 sources??

Also, and this is probably a basic question, can I setup TASKS like I can with the Harmony and other remotes like WATCH TV, or WATCH BluRay and automate the status of all devices in the task? That is inferred, I take it, by the presence of Macros?

Basically, I'm very intrigued by this solution as a better option than the Harmony and would welcome some additional discussion on this topic.

It's a bunch of work, but it is infinitely customizable. I'm actually working to port my system to a 7" Android tablet. It's a bit clunky on the programming side when it comes to making any adjustments to your base setup or copying commands.

internetmin> as for tasks, yes you can set these up since you can customize the icons and macros to do whatever is required. I've set up mine to work in the context of "Watch TV", "Watch BD", "Watch Netflix", etc...

B

bgrounds

Audioholic Intern
roomie remote

You should take a look at this controller - comprehensive and easy to use...

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
Thanks for the reply

Clint,

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to dig into this a bit more.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Sony Android S Tablet is another option. You can get a used one for $200-250 or brand new for $320-$350.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005FXYJZY/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1352821795&sr=8-2&keywords=Sony+s+tablet&condition=used

In addition to the WiFi remote capability (Denon/ Marantz/ Onkyo/ Integra/ Panasonic, and others), you have the traditional IR Universal Progammable remote function that lets you program and control any IR device. I control my BenQ projectors with the Sony tablet via IR. No other hardware to buy. And extremely simple to program and use.

The Sony S comes with the IR Blaster built-in. More importantly it comes with an awesome proprietary universal remote app, which you cannot get anywhere else. It allows you to change the names of the remote keys and program the functions of those keys.

Did I already say the IR remote on the Sony is EXTREMELY easy? Extremely simple, yet extremely functional. I even use my Sony tablet to remote my old Karaoke machine. :D

Another cool thing with Android, which you cannot get with iOS yet, is the Unified Remote app that turns your Android into a WiFi keyboard for your HTPC or any PC. So no need to buy another wireless keyboard for your HTPC.

LogMeIn is another cool tool on both Android (paid) and iOS (free). It allows you to remotely control your PC from anywhere.

I also control my home thermostat on my Android and iOS even on vacation in Cancun or Hawaii. :D

You can also control your home alarm system, surveillance cameras, lightings on your Android and iOS if you have the hardware.

DenPureSound (RIP) had like 12 cameras and alarm system controlled from his Android.

Of course, you can surf the web, email, calendar, To-Do List, Docments, Print to Printers via WiFi and so many other functions on the Android and iOS. I love being able to print wirelessly to my printers (doc, PDF, web, pictures, etc) directly from my iPad.

So I think stand alone remotes is old news. The Android and iOS tablets are the future.

Last edited:
W

wiyosaya

Audioholic
Thanks for the article. I currently have a Pronto TSU-7500, and now that Prontos have gone the way of the dodo, I am on the lookout for other solutions.

I've not used either of these personally, however, other solutions I am aware of are Command Fusion and Open Remote. Both of these run on iOS or Android with Open Remote also able to run in a browser. Open Remote allows customization for the target device, i.e., phone, tablet, browser, etc.

One thing I really miss from the Prontos is the Graphical Designer. IMHO, Open Remote's designer is lacking. I especially dislike the fact that the Open Remote designer is web based. At this time, I'm leaning toward Command Fusion unless something better comes along.

One other thing, at least some of Samsung's Galaxy Tabs are supposed to have built-in universal remote capability, however, I have no knowledge of such beyond my stating this.

That said, all I need is the time to do this for my system. :eek: It would be great if there were a translator for Pronto design files, however, AFAIK, no such translator exists.

A

AaronCF

Audiophyte
At this time, I'm leaning toward Command Fusion unless something better comes along.
Hi All, Aaron from CommandFusion here. iViewer (the app in question) is certainly very powerful, it does have a bit of a learning curve....but once you familiarise yourself with it you will love it.
We have a short quickstart video available here from our website (I cant link due to not enough posts)

Just as an example of what is possible, also check out the video on Youtube titled: EVE - Promotion Video

Im here to answer any questions if you have them - feel free to PM me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis