Intriguing Sub designs

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Not sure if this was previously talked about but I came across this youtube video "7 crazy subwoofers"

Some intriguing designs, especially the rotary fan design claiming 1-30hz above 100db. I mean, science right? It makes sense, I did some research and am pretty intrigued with the idea. If you built a rotary sub in the back of the room with some sealed subs in the front, IDK just sounds like it would be amazing.

So why am I writing on this, Just wondering why speaker companies aren't looking towards science more? Thinking outside of the box. Would love to see new things that work, I mean the price on that rotary sub isn't there obviously but just like any technology, as it progresses price should fluctuate and progressively become more affordable to the average Joe.

Anywho, just thought this was cool and wanted to share it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The rotary sub has come up before... did they mention in the video that it basically requires it’s own room to operate in? ;)

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Yeah, at least one of the videos I watched stated the room thing and I get it however I just thought it was intriguing and feel companies should think outside of the box. Phoenix gold designed a car subwoofer called the cyclone subwoofer back in the day. Kind of the same concept. With all the possibilities with science and all the big brains in this world I just think we could develop some new tech that would work.

On another note same thought process, I read an article where they've developed a battery that would last some ridiculous amount of time beyond any of our lives. Of course partially radioactive but still, people thinking outside of the box. Sure it starts as some ridiculous idea and some crazy price but eventually it's the norm and at an affordable price.

Like I said before just intrigued at the concept/s

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not an expert in driver design by any means. The biggest challenge is that converting electrical impulse to soundwave still requires a diaphragm to move air. The Rotary Sub accomplishes this by completely different means, but as was said in the video, it effectively loses all efficiency by 30Hz... at which point you switch back to some form of conventional pistonic device which will move air as a soundwave.

Even the most revolutionary tweeter is still just a very fancy AMT complete with its own set of problems:

Perhaps one day when the dyson "blade-less fans" actually don't have blades and there is a way to create air impulses maybe we will see non-pistonic drivers or similar devices that require a vibrating membrane to transduce electricity into sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, couldn't make it but a minute or two into the video. What are the seven subs?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry, couldn't make it but a minute or two into the video. What are the seven subs?
They are all direct radiators effectively, except for the rotary...
There was a dual Velo with a 12" and 8" driver, the big @ss aluminum cone YG Indestructable, the Stackable RELs, the 6-Driver paradigms, the rotary, there was also some 6-diaphragm construction operated by two motors that Alpine turned into something for cars... Oh, and a 55" driver. I think that's it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They are all direct radiators effectively, except for the rotary...
There was a dual Velo with a 12" and 8" driver, the big @ss aluminum cone YG Indestructable, the Stackable RELs, the 6-Driver paradigms, the rotary, there was also some 6-diaphragm construction operated by two motors that Alpine turned into something for cars... Oh, and a 55" driver. I think that's it.
Thanks, sounds not all that interesting but then I was already familiar with the rotary sub (which to me is the most interesting in this bunch). How did Rel get in there? What on earth is interesting about Rel?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks, sounds not all that interesting but then I was already familiar with the rotary sub (which to me is the most interesting in this bunch). How did Rel get in there? What on earth is interesting about Rel?
There really wasn't much interesting about most of them. The RELs were about their stackable flagship subs and hoiw they are designed to operate at different frequencies as you move up the stack. *shrugs

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This Tymphany is what Alpine turned into something... but this is what dude was showing in the vid.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Basically two of which were much different, the others were just exotic
I have low tolerance for many (maybe most) audio related videos :). Exotic I don't know.....

There really wasn't much interesting about most of them. The RELs were about their stackable flagship subs and hoiw they are designed to operate at different frequencies as you move up the stack. *shrugs
Wow Rel suggesting dsp and use of variable crossovers? Might have to grit my teeth and look at Rel's literature on that....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Rotary subs have been around for a while now. I did not too long ago learn some more about them when I stumbled across a couple of videos. They work a lot differently than I'd previously thought. Pretty cool, but also comes with some impracticalities.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis