internet purchase gone bad

G

gacatfan

Audiophyte
i have been buying over the net from ny vendors for years and finally got burned. thought i was being careful. even did a bbs.org check on company prior to ordering. asked the important questions: do you charge the card before ship? will you check your stock? ups tracking number?
usa warranty? i ordered a yamaha rx-v2400 from camerasandelectronics.com ben at ext 218 told me that the unit was in stock, would be shipped the next day. the only thing they did was bill my credit card the next day. after 3 weeks and repeated calls to rosa, ben and michelle, i am told they don't know about posting refunds but "someone will call me" i filed a complaint online at bbs.org and of course disputed the charge with my company. i have heard they are associated with abe's of maine. also found out that yamaha only recognizes warranties from authorized dealers. heading to sound advice unless someone else can advise me.

live and learn

J

jjadams

Enthusiast
I buy my electronic gear off of sweetwater.com and cabels of of bettercables.com, if they *don't* have a W.A.T.S. (Wide Area Telephone Service) they don't get a order from me. I buy of of Amazon and DDDVD because they 'do' have WATS lines. WATS is a free call from purchaser and collect call for the seller, if they are established than they will have one; if not they 'fly' by night. :)

D

Dr. Anthony

Audioholic Intern
We were ripped off too

gacatfan -

I understand exactly what you are going through. I was ripped of myself some time ago by these New York e-lectronics dealers. We hated it so much we made a place inside our bbs to help stop others from being swindled. If this forum will allow it I will post the link. There is info about people like us, info on all of the bad retailers and who to avoid and who to trust as well as links to help us get back our money. We want everyone to know that you can do something about this rather than sit back and be taken.

People think that the BBB is the place to go for information on bad companies. Thats just not true. I would listen to my peers and listen to objective reviews from other people who dealt with the store online than any certification that a company paid money to obtain a good rating or to join.

If this link is inappropriate I am sorry but we don't want to see another audiophile or videophile taken advantage of anymore. We need to do something about this and we are taking an active roll allowing people to post their stories in the hopes that others would learn from their mistakes and network.

The link is HERE in the "buyer alert" section.

We hope this helps sombody out there.

Good luck.

G

Gatorchong

Audioholic
Sorry to hear about your experience, but here's some advice that I have recieved and I'd be glad to pass it on. If you come across a website offering any kind of good deal on electronics, check the address they give and if it's anywhere in or around New Jersey, PASS! Not to offend anybody who lives there but this came from somebody who works for a consumer protection firm who has recieved countless complaints about companies that mysteriously pop up in New Jersey. They're probably just the same people who have 25 different company names. They're usually not authorized dealers for anything they sell which means that you get no warranty or support from the manufacturer. So there's really no telling where they get these products. I'm sure there's exceptions as this is kind of a broad statement, but it's just something I was told.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
That Sucks

I haven't had any problems from buying online (except from one ebay scum bag, took me for a wooping $10)...but of course I don't buy much off line.... But here is what I know:

1) Check them out
2) Check out a physical address/location
3) If they are selling it cheep...you get what you pay for
4) Check to see if they are an authorized dealer/distributor...if not stay away the warranty won't be good.
5) AUTHORIZED AUTHORIZED AUTHORIZED

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis