Integrated Amp v.s. Receiver???

S

Stella C

Enthusiast
Hi, it's me again!! basically, is there any difference between an integrated amp and a receiver??

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
You mean besides the fact that the receiver can receive radio signals?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
An integrated amp is invariably a preamp and 2 channel amplifier.

A receiver can be stereo (2ch) or surround (5.1 / 7.1 / 9.1 / 11.4 etc) and more specifically, the definition of a receiver involves a radio tuner.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
what he said - ^^^

But I will say that if your chasing a premo 2 channel setup, you will get a better soundstage presentation and SQ from a integrated 2 channel over a receiver... depending on the choice of product...

I have yet to hear a receiver - ie pioneer, yamaha, denon, or what have you that doesn't have a plain ol collapsed sound stage.
I recently implemented a 2 ch HT bypass with a Parasound 2100 preamp, and the SQ and soundstage is huge in comparison - with the push of a button I can go back and forth - its an extremely noticable difference.

Last edited:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
An integrated amp is invariably a preamp and 2 channel amplifier.
That is wrong. And it has been wrong for a long time. For example:

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/4140.html

(I could have gone older with a mono integrated amplifier for my example instead.)

An integrated amplifier is a preamplifier and a power amplifier in one cabinet. It can be any number of channels, just like a receiver can be any number of channels.

A receiver is a tuner, preamplifier, and a power amplifier in one cabinet.

There are also some tuner/preamp combinations, without power amplifiers.

As for the quality of each, it is totally dependent upon what the manufacturer decides to stick in the cabinet. Any can be good or bad.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Again, disagreement while shooting the breeze is expected.:D

I've owned 3 Denon POA-1000R integrated amplifiers (IA). I've owned preamps, amps, AVRs, pre-pros too.

The Denon IA was just the preamp + amp inside one chassis. No HDMI, no Optical or Coaxial connectors, just plain stereo preamp + stereo amp.

So you ask which one sounds better?

In Direct mode (no DSP, no Tones, no EQ), and all volume level matched, they all pretty much sound the same. You most likely can't tell the difference. And guess what, they all pretty much MEASURE the same in terms of FR, SNR, THD, Crosstalk, etc.

But, once the component applies some sort of DSP, Tones, EQs, all bets are off!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Again, disagreement while shooting the breeze is expected.:D

I've owned 3 Denon POA-1000R integrated amplifiers (IA). I've owned preamps, amps, AVRs, pre-pros too.

The Denon IA was just the preamp + amp inside one chassis. No HDMI, no Optical or Coaxial connectors, just plain stereo preamp + stereo amp.

So you ask which one sounds better?

In Direct mode (no DSP, no Tones, no EQ), and all volume level matched, they all pretty much sound the same. You most likely can't tell the difference. And guess what, they all pretty much MEASURE the same in terms of FR, SNR, THD, Crosstalk, etc.

But, once the component applies some sort of DSP, Tones, EQs, all bets are off!
I am of the same opinion base on my own,friends and relatives experiences. With due respect it is my belief that people who hear difference, even huge difference, between a decent receiver (mid to high range Denon, Yamaha etc.) and integrated amps in pure direct mode, equal volume driven within their design limits, are most likely result of Placebo effect and will invariable fail in a controlled DBT, or even just a simple BT.

Of course that's just my belief but at least it is base on known scientific evidence such as lab measurements as well as real life experience of people I know and who are not audiophiles. There are people who could hear difference between a $30 and $3000 pair of interconnects and between an amp out of the box and one that has been broken in after X hours so what can I say... I guess this is a hot topic that will never die on forums but it is important for new comers to hear view points and shared experiences from both sides so they won't be mislead one way or another.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis