Integrated amp or Separates?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd not worry too much about the amplification but rather better speakers first....

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
I'd not worry too much about the amplification but rather better speakers first....
While the sentiment (comparing his speakers to other speaker options) is reasonable, again, the man just bought the speakers and he likes them.

Don't tell him the purchase he just made is the part he needs to replace right now when he doesn't have a functioning amplifier and wants to make a smart investment there.

What I hear in the OP is that he was largely satisfied with his old stereo system until it started crapping out on him. Let him grow.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While the sentiment (comparing his speakers to other speaker options) is reasonable, again, the man just bought the speakers and he likes them.

Don't tell him the purchase he just made is the part he needs to replace right now when he doesn't have a functioning amplifier and wants to make a smart investment there.

What I hear in the OP is that he was largely satisfied with his old stereo system until it started crapping out on him. Let him grow.
Then again there's little to the idea that an amp will make a significant difference....and speakers are a better way to spend money than on an amp. YMMV

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
Then again there's little to the idea that an amp will make a significant difference....and speakers are a better way to spend money than on an amp. YMMV
But again, he's upgrading from a non-working amp.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure an amp that works is an immediate and noticeable upgrade from one that doesn't.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But again, he's upgrading from a non-working amp.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure an amp that works is an immediate and noticeable upgrade from one that doesn't.
In terms of a receiver/integrated amp/separates not much there, tho....they'll all work fine. Amp is not much unless you want something weird like tubes or something....

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
In terms of a receiver/integrated amp/separates not much there, tho....they'll all work fine. Amp is not much unless you want something weird like tubes or something....
So, that's kinda the point. He's asking for advice on what he should do to replace a broken amp, and he's trying to make a smart choice on what is probably a substantial spend.

You are right, down the road, he'll probably want to upgrade those speakers before he replaces his amplification again. My thought was, if he goes separates, then he can, for example, decide to replace his speakers with something that might be less efficient but more pleasant sounding, and thus he could just swap out the amp with a bigger one that can feed those hungry beasts. Or he might go for ultra-efficient horns, where he'd want to play with tubes a little. Or any number of other combinations.

You might disagree. Feel free to present your counterpoint. But don't start with "you should replace the speakers first" when he needs a working amplifier. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So, that's kinda the point. He's asking for advice on what he should do to replace a broken amp, and he's trying to make a smart choice on what is probably a substantial spend.

You are right, down the road, he'll probably want to upgrade those speakers before he replaces his amplification again. My thought was, if he goes separates, then he can, for example, decide to replace his speakers with something that might be less efficient but more pleasant sounding, and thus he could just swap out the amp with a bigger one that can feed those hungry beasts. Or he might go for ultra-efficient horns, where he'd want to play with tubes a little. Or any number of other combinations.

You might disagree. Feel free to present your counterpoint. But don't start with "you should replace the speakers first" when he needs a working amplifier. ;)
A working ss amp is basic, tweaking preference another. A dedicated power amp can have advantages in changing out pre or pre-pro. Hungry beasts? WTF does that mean, they're unusually low in impedance/phase angle needs or ?

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
A working ss amp is basic, tweaking preference another. A dedicated power amp can have advantages in changing out pre or pre-pro. Hungry beasts? WTF does that mean, they're unusually low in impedance/phase angle needs or ?
"Hungry" as in a less efficient speaker needs more power to generate the same volume.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not sure where you're going with this kind of weird nitpicking, but have fun. :)
Where were you going with "hungry" instead of a more accurate description of actual issues? Good luck with your vague audiophool type stuff.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
Where were you going with "hungry" instead of a more accurate description of actual issues? Good luck with your vague audiophool type stuff.
Yeah, this definitely feels like you're mad you got called out for not reading the OP and you're taking it out on me.

I got broad shoulders, I can take it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, this definitely feels like you're mad you got called out for not reading the OP and you're taking it out on me.

I got broad shoulders, I can take it.
LOL glad you can :) I was clear all along IMO but maybe not in yours. Maybe you believe in audio things I don't....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
At the moment my thoughts are either:
1) Yamaha S-701 Integrated Amp (about $800)
or
2) Marantz MM7025 Amp and Parasound Zpre3 Preamplifier (about $1450 for both).
If I remember right, someone suggested the R-N803. That is a receiver that has some bass management feature and the build in DAC is better than the one in the A-S701 that is a so called integrated amp. In my opinion, the R-N803 is a much better value overall. The amp sections of the two are extremely similar.

If you prefer the separate route (I always do), you may want to consider Hypex amps (such as VTV amps) that typically offer much better specs, for less money, and most importantly more output power than the Marantz MM7025 for future proofing.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You haven't heard of speakers referred to as 'power hungry'?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is this mainly a question of Pride of Ownership or Reliability? :D

In terms of Sound Quality, I think any of the Integrated Amps, Separate Preamps/Amps and AVRs will sound equally good, especially in Direct or Pure Direct modes.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
We're not on the beach, fellas, so stop crabbing.

To get back on track, let's continue with features that the OP may want to consider. A feature that I personally value is loudness eq.

The Yamahas mentioned have the classic variable loudness control, which allows the user to control how much eq is applied independently of the volume setting. This is one of the most practical and useful approaches, and it's nice that Yamaha has kept it around.

The Outlaw employs its loudness eq similar to how Adcom used to, a subtle amount of eq that diminishes as the volume control is increased. Although there is no independent control or trim/offset setting, this approach is still useful.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
We're not on the beach, fellas, so stop crabbing.

To get back on track, let's continue with features that the OP may want to consider. A feature that I personally value is loudness eq.

The Yamahas mentioned have the classic variable loudness control, which allows the user to control how much eq is applied independently of the volume setting. This is one of the most practical and useful approaches, and it's nice that Yamaha has kept it around.

The Outlaw employs its loudness eq similar to how Adcom used to, a subtle amount of eq that diminishes as the volume control is increased. Although there is no independent control or trim/offset setting, this approach is still useful.
That variable loudness is something I asked all of the reps for the other brands we carried, for years. Nobody did it- not sure if Yamaha has some kind of patent or if the others just don't understand why it's better than a switch.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis