Integra DTM 40.4 need a repair shop suggestions

S

Superprohero

Audiophyte
Please delete if not allowed. I think my speaker wires touched and fried my Integra. No sounds, kicks on and off, no display. Looking for suggestions on who can repair this? I'm in central Indiana and need to find a repair shop. Google wasn't much help.
Thanks for all your help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Many local repair shops are gone these days that deal with electronics and somewhat the nature of the electronics sometimes limits what such a shop can do with availability of parts. I'd see who Onkyo currently has in the way of repair centers, may not be local, tho. At least they will have a shot at service info/parts needed but for a unit that old it may just be time for replacement. That age range of Onkyo also had issues with network/hdmi boards....was it ever repaired under the extended program for that issue (the program ended in 2018) ?

S

Superprohero

Audiophyte
Many local repair shops are gone these days that deal with electronics and somewhat the nature of the electronics sometimes limits what such a shop can do with availability of parts. I'd see who Onkyo currently has in the way of repair centers, may not be local, tho. At least they will have a shot at service info/parts needed but for a unit that old it may just be time for replacement. That age range of Onkyo also had issues with network/hdmi boards....was it ever repaired under the extended program for that issue (the program ended in 2018) ?
I just bought it used and it looked like a brand new unit. The guy said it's literally been used a handful of times because he travels a lot and by the looks of it I don't doubt it. All features worked great except this unit doesn't have HDMI. The same thing also happened to an old Sony a friend gave me and an old Kenwood that I've had for years. It's because there is an issue with some older Cerwin Vega speakers that blew all these amps. I'm getting the speakers fixed before I connect anything else to them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Accessories for Less is an authorized dealer and Onkyo service center, though I don't know how you would go about initiating a request with them.

When there is an issue, the speaker usually fries first, not the amp, but crossing the wires while the unit is on is definitely a way to fry the receiver. Unstable power and bad ground in the system can also contribute to repeated issues.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Accessories for Less is an authorized dealer and Onkyo service center, though I don't know how you would go about initiating a request with them.

When there is an issue, the speaker usually fries first, not the amp, but crossing the wires while the unit is on is definitely a way to fry the receiver. Unstable power and bad ground in the system can also contribute to repeated issues.
When did A4L start servicing anything? Are they certifying their own refurbs now?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just bought it used and it looked like a brand new unit. The guy said it's literally been used a handful of times because he travels a lot and by the looks of it I don't doubt it. All features worked great except this unit doesn't have HDMI. The same thing also happened to an old Sony a friend gave me and an old Kenwood that I've had for years. It's because there is an issue with some older Cerwin Vega speakers that blew all these amps. I'm getting the speakers fixed before I connect anything else to them.
Avrs have come with hdmi for a very long time now but if yours is without hdmi its older than I thought! May make it more repairable too. Onkyo is in transition in several ways now due changes in the US particularly in both ownership and distributorship and I expect service as well altho I do still see this still up even tho not sure Onkyo USA info is valid under the recent acquisition by VOXX. Might call Onkyo/Voxx for info? How much they support older gear could be interesting....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When did A4L start servicing anything? Are they certifying their own refurbs now?
I am pretty sure they are an actual service center, not just a reseller. I am not sure you go through them though, you may need to contact Onkyo directly and then it ends up there. Not sure.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am pretty sure they are an actual service center, not just a reseller. I am not sure you go through them though, you may need to contact Onkyo directly and then it ends up there.
They don't have anything I saw in a brief look at their site. They've long held out they are simply resellers and not the service center confirming factory refurb status. Just don't see them doing that particularly as its such a different business.....but always a possibility too I suppose.

Got any links to look at?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They don't have anything I saw in a brief look at their site. They've long held out they are simply resellers and not the service center confirming factory refurb status. Just don't see them doing that particularly as its such a different business.....but always a possibility too I suppose.

Got any links to look at?
No, was looking at their site and I don't see anything about service either. Maybe that was an incorrect assumption on my part. It could be that they deal with the service centers and resell the refurb items coming out of those centers. I just bought my AV7705 from there

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, was looking at their site and I don't see anything about service either. Maybe that was an incorrect assumption on my part. It could be that they deal with the service centers and resell the refurb items coming out of those centers. I just bought my AV7705 from there
Yes, that's how it works....believe Panurgy was the service center certifying for D&M products last I checked but Sound United might have changed things.....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Please delete if not allowed. I think my speaker wires touched and fried my Integra. No sounds, kicks on and off, no display. Looking for suggestions on who can repair this? I'm in central Indiana and need to find a repair shop. Google wasn't much help.
Thanks for all your help.
That is a recycling job. The power transistors are likely blown and now shorted. There is likely other collateral damage. It will cost you more than it is worth to identify the problems and then find parts are no longer available. You will then have to pay the tech for a unit that still does not work, and it won't be a small sum. Repairs are now pretty much DIY for those sort of units. It takes experience a lot of test gear. Worse it absolutely requires a service manual, and those are almost never available. That is why service techs are pretty much extinct. Industry did a really good job of making their tasks impossible.

S

Superprohero

Audiophyte
I think it's fixed!!! Thanks for all the advice everyone. It was pretty disappointing to have just bought this and it sounded so good to just recycle it. After reading your comments about the issue likely being on the power board I took the unit apart. To get a closer look I removed the power input board and looked at all the caps and resistors looking for something burnt. I did a MM test on the two caps and didn't detect anything wrong. So I went to inspect the main board and another board was in the way so I removed it. After visually inspecting all the caps, etc nothing could be seen fried. I put it back together and decided I was going to store it until I could maybe one day run into someone willing to look at it. For some goofy reason I decided to plug it in to see if it smoked from my reassembly and IT STARTED UP!! So I took my old Cerwin Vegas apart and did multimeter tests on all speakers and they all checked out OK. Oddly I found one tweeter and two mids that had what looked like the polarity of the wires wrong. I corrected that then did a final MM test and all seemed ok. Hooked it all back up and it's been playing flawlessly for over an hour now!! I can't speculate on why it works now. I'm fairly new to the more technical electronics repair so I don't know if discharging a capacitor released something or what. Whatever it was, what a blessing because this thing rocks for a shop stereo. Since it's in a shop I mounted it in a vented server case with filtered fans creating a positive airflow in the case.
Thanks again everyone!
20211001_154212.jpg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis