Install auto on/off relay inside active speaker

O

okcorrell

Audiophyte
Hello,

I wanted to reach out for some help to some seasoned DIY audio people.

I have several 5" Monoprice powered monitors paired up with apple airport express' for a makeshift multi room system. It works perfectly as each book shelf speaker is independently powered for each small room, but they are always on, even while not in use.

I have another pair of AudioEngine book shelves used as the primary audio solution for my living room and those automatically shut off when not in use, which is an amazing feature. Is there anyway to install this signal sensing relay in these Monoprice monitors I have? Does anyone make this part that I can solder in or do I have to make it myself? I would prefer installing something inside the cabinet (DC) as it would be easier and more aesthetically appealing. I am not looking for an inline plug that would plug into the wall first.

I have experience in basic wiring with access to soldering tools and I am more than happy to pop the cabinets open to install this circuitry myself or to give more detailed information about the hardware I am working with.

Any leads or recommendations in where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Aaron

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Dunno. You might have better luck asking over at Parts Express Tech Talk forum.

Previous post should get you started though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn't monoprice have a forum also? PE probably has more traffic though, and those guys are speaker tweakers :)

I replied to you again at HTF, the second option I listed there may or may not work as I don't know how the strip determines when it can turn the outlet to a device off.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Just go with a signal sensing power strip or outlet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis