Infinity's Primus 360 or JBL Northridge e80's?

M

makaveli

Audiophyte
This is my first post and I would like to get feed back from the Audioholic community. I'm looking to purchase speakers in the US and have them shipped to Australia. I've narrowed it down to either the JBL Northridge E80's or Infinity's Primus 360. I've read many positive reviews on both speakers but most of the negative reviews on the JBL Northridge series have come from this site. I think the reason for this is because the US is spoilt for choice and has better value for money then Australia. In Australia the JBL E80 retail for $1299 (US$1006), JBL E90 $1499 (US$1162), JBL E100 $1599
($US1239), JBL E60 $999 (US$774). My amp is a Pioneer VSX-815 which retails for bout $899 Australian (US$696) but I bought it for much cheaper on ebay. So u can see how much we're being raped in Oz when it comes to paying for AV equipment:( . I've seen the E80's on the net for around US$150 and the Infinity's for just under $US200, i think none of those prices incl shipping. So if any one can recommend some good places on the web to first purchase the speakers @ the most competitive prices. And/ or if they can suggest any other speakers that would cost under US$300 incl shipping within the US (I have relatives in Oregan & Hawaii). And also if any one has any idea how much it would cost to post/ship from the US to Nrth Qld/ Australia. I have a friend who works in AV who says the JBL's sold in the US r the same as the ones sold in Australia so they should work here no problems, but not sure bout the infinity's, but I don't imagine there being any dramas.

Cheers:)

Makaveli

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
JBL doesn't get a bad rap from everyone here, :rolleyes: . I think there are still 2 or 3 of us fans hangin' around. I also generally enjoy the sound of Infinities. I have owned both brands.

Look for the ebay seller harmanaudio. This is the best place for good JBL speakers at a fair price. That's JBL's refurb/return sales outlet. I've gotten speakers in the past from them...that were NEW, not refurbs, but at refurb price. They're a reliable seller.

For Infinities, they can be had from the same ebay seller (HK owns both companies), or many other outlets. Circuit City has just engaged in an outrageous sale of Primus 150's for $39usd each! :eek: I've seen sales on the Primus in many locations...just do a google search. These speakers have pretty stylish specs and with cheap/minor mods as suggested by Audioholics member WmAx, can be very fine speakers.

Good luck.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
It's a nice suggestion RJ but the Harman Ebay site won't ship outside the US. I know the hard way, I really wanted a Harman receiver, and we in Canada get the shaft on Harman prices (not as bad as those in Australia, but close).

Sorry, not trying to be a downer, but I didn't want you to get your hopes up the way I did before readingg the disclaimers on the ebay page.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Takeereasy said:
It's a nice suggestion RJ but the Harman Ebay site won't ship outside the US. I know the hard way, I really wanted a Harman receiver, and we in Canada get the shaft on Harman prices (not as bad as those in Australia, but close).

Sorry, not trying to be a downer, but I didn't want you to get your hopes up the way I did before readingg the disclaimers on the ebay page.
Dang, my bad. Thanks for the clarification, Takeer. :(

M

makaveli

Audiophyte
I appreciate your responses. And after browsing many US sites I have realised that many do not ship outside of the country:( . So my genius plan was to have them shipped to my aunty in Oregan and then have her post/ship them to me in Oz. Do the infinitys sound good withou the mod cos i probably wouldn't attempt that.

cheers

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
Whoa buddy, taht amp is nowhere near that price in US, as I bought it for $216 New.

M

makaveli

Audiophyte
No, no. The VSX-815 retails in Australia for $899 and I just converted that figure into $US to show how much it would cost someone from the US buying over here. It was basically just to show u how much consumers in Australia are being raped up the arse for AV equipment. By the way i bought i on ebay for bout $555 inclu shipping which is bout US$430 . And since I dont live in the US I cant buy it for the price u mentioned.

Cheers

Makaveli

M

makaveli

Audiophyte
I mite have to correct myself VSX-815 is bout $799 (US$619) and the
VSX-915 is $899 (US$696). But there pretty much the same amp. But u can c the difference where paying over ere to the US, and to me thats an injustice.

Cheers

jegs

Audiophyte
If I had to choose between those two I would go with Infinity. JBL is a great speaker company but their entry level stuff is just that. Although the Infinity Primus series is also entry level they have gotten great reviews since their intoduction. I believe they are the better of the two as far as cost vs performance goes.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
jegs said:
If I had to choose between those two I would go with Infinity. JBL is a great speaker company but their entry level stuff is just that. Although the Infinity Primus series is also entry level they have gotten great reviews since their intoduction. I believe they are the better of the two as far as cost vs performance goes.
Well, I have owned speakers from such companies as Cerwin Vega, Paradigm, Athena, Acoustic Research, and etc. BUT currently own the Primus 360's for my fronts, the C25 center, and the 150's for rears and I am more than happy. The Primus speakers truly are unbelievable for the price. I highly recommend them.

manofsteel2397

manofsteel2397

Audioholic
i would go with the infinitys am big fan of them i owned the discontinued models up from primus the alphas sound very true to form

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis