Infinity Interlude Mysterious Mystery

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
"Infinity Interlude 10 Bookshelf Speakers" a short story by Seth=L

When I was in my early teens I received a Denon pre/main amplifier (aka Integrated amplifier with no preouts:confused:). Shortly after receiving it I went and purchased a pair of Jensen C-JR bookshelf speakers from Circuit City for around $40-50. I thought it sounded great compared to my old Panasonic tuner/tape/broken record player thing. My source was a portable Sony CD player and I was just tickled pink with my little rig.

A couple years later I was drooling at Circuit City again because they had some sexy looking Infinity speakers on sale. I knew that Infinity made good speakers and that the prices they where selling these things at had to be a steal. I had compared them to some big MTX speakers for a similar price in their "sound room" and the little bookshelf speakers completely wiped the floor with the MTX which sported a 3 way driver configuration with a 12" woofer and horn tweeter. The Infinity speakers had better bass response, and the Infinitys could play high frequencies. Apparently the MTX had no highs?:confused:

I was convinced the Infinitys where exactly what I wanted. I told Mother all I wanted for Christmas was those speakers, I didn't care about any other gifts because they where the ultimate gift I could possibly receive.

Alas I was the happiest kid at Christmas. She had purchased the open box model which had slight damage to the grill, which she used her knitting skills to mend as best as it could have been.

Since then I have owned and used countless speakers. Just a brief look at what I've had: PSB Centuri 600i, BIC something or others, NHT 1.5, Athena AS-B1, Paradigm Studio 20v1, Paradigm Studio 100v1, M&K S-125 and probably a few others I am forgetting.

I always seem to find myself going back to the Infinitys, no matter how high up the chain in speakers I so far looked in.

The mystery is why haven't these speakers received more praise? Have my ears been catered by the IL10s for so long I don't wish to change to something else? I've gone through months without hearing them doing what they do best, and as soon as I hook them up and begin to listen I am reminded instantly how great they sound when I notice a sound stage that wraps around me and a strong central focus with vocals. They handle lots of power without the cabinet making all kinds of noise. In fact, that's been my biggest fuss with the M&Ks, the back panel resonates LOUDLY at certain frequencies and makes me think the speaker's drivers are malfunctioning. Other than that flaw for the M&Ks they have an amazing way of casting a sound stage and they center stage excellent as well, but they lack in terms of power handling and cabinet construction.

So am I just partial to the IL10s for personal taste only? Are they a fluke in the Interlude line, or can I expect the same amazing capability from the entire line? Or...are these speakers really as amazing as I think they are? The resale market for this series would indicate a lack of following. I've heard people talk good about the line, but nothing I've heard from Infinity (stock mind you, I'm sure WmAx's Infinity Primus Frankenstein speaker would be more than a worthy adversary) stacks up to the Interlude line.

I should probably try to find another pair of the Interlude 10s and send them to Chris for modification.:D

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Funny you should mention the IL line, Seth. I had a full set of Interludes, from the IL50 mains, an IL36C (still one of the best centers I've heard to date) and IL10s for surround back surrounds (had to make due with some OWS-1s for surrounds), these are essentially what I cut my teeth with when it comes to building a decent dedicated home theater quite a few years ago.

The IL50s, while very capable, didn't seem to completely please me for one reason or another. They seemed a bit reserved when it came to two channel audio, so I ended up selling off the whole set sooner or later. As I mentioned, the IL36c was a great center channel, dialog was spot-on and strong as hell, it handled any kind of vocals thrown its way without a hiccup.

As for the IL10s, while these oddly enough were in the least taxing location of my setup, were some of the best bookshelf speakers I've ever owned and can still say that to this day. I almost wish I had started out w/the IL10s, then built around them as they seemed to have the imaging and sonic signature I'd hoped for from the IL50s. Granted, these can hardly be called bookshelfs, they weigh a ton and are built like brick a brick sh*thouse. I hoped Infinity's future offerings after the Interlude line would continue in the IL10s footsteps, but unfortunately, that was not what I experienced. The Betas were fine, but just not up to par, IMHO.

If you were seriously considering other speakers in the IL line, I would suggest the IL60s, IL36c and IL10s. I briefly owned the IL25c, but it just got lost in the rest of the set, just couldn't keep up. I suppose it could with just IL10s, but the difference between the IL36c and IL25c was substantial.

I'm sure you'd be able to find others out there looking to try something different and if you know you like them, then that's what really matters, right? :cool: -TD

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'll likely try to find another pair of IL10s and a IL36c. A good center channel is hard to come by.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
I'm sure the IL10s will pop up without waiting too long. As for the IL36c, well that was hard to come by and that was when the Interlude line was just being replaced. In fact, I had to buy mine from direct from Harman Audio, close to the original pricing, I believe (~$330?). No complaints though, it was worth it.

There's actually what looks to be a decent Interlude set (IL40s, IL36c and IL10s) on fleaBay right now, unfortunately it looks like they aren't willing to ship. Also not sure if you'd want the black finish, I had the light maple and that as well as the oak finish were the better of the three... -TD

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Nice story Seth, but when I was a kid, all I wanted for Christmas was a Red Ryder BB gun, but my mom just told me, "You'll shoot your eyes out." ;)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Nice story Seth, but when I was a kid, all I wanted for Christmas was a Red Ryder BB gun, but my mom just told me, "You'll shoot your eyes out." ;)
I got the Red Ryder BB gun a few years after the Infinitys, I was not a normal kid.

A Christmas Story said:
"You'll shoot your eyes out."
LOL

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis