Infinity Alpha/Beta series?

D

dbworld4k

Audiophyte
Hello everyone, I finally got fed up with my craptacular Panasonic SCHT-900S HTIB (I know I know.. an HTIB omg how could I?)

Anyways, I got around to buying an Onkyo TX-SR602 receiver, coupled with a line of Infinity's Alpha speakers (alpha 50 fronts, alpha 20 surrounds, C37 Center, and Alpha 1200s sub). Was this a good setup? I also got the reciver + speakers for about 1700$ USD.

So was this a wise move, or should I have bought something else in this price range?

plhart

Audioholic
How is anyone supposed to answer such a question? "Was it a wise move?" You bought 'em. That is for you to decide.

What I can tell you is that many of the Infinity Alphas were originally designed and sold in Europe. They did not go through the requisite "peer review", double-blind testing process in Harman's MLL in Northridge, CA prior to manufacture.

When I started to design each of the Infinity Beta models which were to replace the Alphas we were able to fairly easily "beat" their sound in each size category. The Alpha cabinets were very, very well constructed. It was the quality of the drivers utilized that were not, IMHO, up to the level of the Betas' drivers. Past that, though the European engineers didn't have access to Harman's world-class test facilities in Northridge, note that in Europe the line was quite well received.

If they sound good to you that's all that matters. If you want better sound try reading some of our numerous articles on room acoustics.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis