In-wall volume control issue

U

Unregistered

This is the first time I have wired a house, mine, for multi-zone and wouldn't you know it, I have problems.

Here is the basic setup for the seperate zone: Yamaha RX-V650, Philips CD player, Niles in-wall volume control, BA outdoor speakers.

Here is the problem: when I connect to the receiver A position front speakers (just for testing purposes) which run through the wall to the in-wall volume and then out to the BA's, I get sound - which is a good start. However, when I try and push the volume on the reciever up so that I can get a lot of volume on the BA's, the receiver shuts down. When I turn it back on again, I get a "check speaker wire" error.

OK, so maybe I have a short somewhere, so I decide to bypass the in-wall volume control and wall jacks and hardwire everything, no problems. I then reconnect the wall jacks, no problem. Then I reconnect the in-wall, problems. Check the impedance switch (although it isn't necessary since I have only one set of speakers outside) and according to the manual it is set correctly. Thinking maybe I have a bad in-wall control, I put a new one in, same problem. I can run fine at lower volumes but once I try to feed a decent amount of power to the in-wall from the receiver, it shuts down. Note the Niles in-wall is rated for 100 amps. Hoping there is something simple I have overlooked. Thanks

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
This might help

It sounds as if you are causing the thermal protection to trip.

Have you tried this:

Set the Volume control at 50% / 12 o'clock position and set the volume at the receiver at 50% then adjust the volume control. Also make sure the polarity is correct + to + and - to -

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis