jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Do any of you guys have much experience with in-wall speakers? I have the Andrew Jones Pioneers right now, but I might be moving soon and I'm thinking of in-walls for the TV room.

I was thinking of mounting the TV to the wall, and putting a pair of in-wall speakers to the left and right. All wires hidden. Then some in-walls or in-ceilings for the surrounds for a 4.1 setup.

I'm quite satisfied with the sound of the Pioneer speakers I have now. I was less satisfied with a Polk Monitor setup I had previously. My concern is sound quality from the in-walls. I don't need much volume, but I do want clarity and some measure of accuracy. I've never actually listened to any decent in-walls and I don't think there's anywhere I can go to do so.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Jonnythan,
Have you considered on-walls, there are several out there (Def Tech Mythos as one example). They are designed to be mounted with fairly low profiles (a few inches); yet having the advantages of non-permanent mounting (i.e. no large cut-out holes) and enclosures designed to take advantage of the wall surface?
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I'm quite satisfied with the sound of the Pioneer speakers I have now.
It’s pretty difficult to design a good-sounding in-wall speakers, given that sheetrock is prone to resonating and as such makes a poor enclosure. In-wall speakers that sound as good as the Pioneers will probably run you at least 2-3 times what you paid for them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The Pioneers were cheap, so I wouldn't mind spending a few hundred on a pair of in-walls.

I don't know how they actually sound, though. Does anyone have any experience with in-wall speakers for TV/movie use?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the links, but it seems the only in-wall review AH has done is the Paradigm SA-25. They were well liked, but they're also $1000 a pair.

I suppose it implies that in-wall speakers can be decent, which is good, though it seems they only tested with music content.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Any speaker that’s good with music will be fine for home theater.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Any speaker that’s good with music will be fine for home theater.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I don't quite agree. My NHT SuperZero speakers are fantastic for music. Detailed, accurate, articulate. They didn't quite work for home theater. They didn't have the dynamics and felt a little constrained. I kept the NHTs for music and use the Andrew Jones Pioneers for home theater now.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Okay, so tiny little speakers might not be up to the task for home theater. You can keep that in mind when studying the reviews for regular speakers, but I have no idea how that plays out with in-walls. They're in a class all their own (and I don't mean that in a complimentary fashion).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For an affordable in-wall with some dynamic range, check out the Hsu HIWs. Basically just an in-wall version of the HB-1s. Should be pretty good, but I wouldn't expect greatness from an in-wall until you can afford some of the better Atlantic Technology or Triad in-walls, or something on that level.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Oh wow, I didn't even know HSU made in-walls. Thanks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis