In-Wall Speakers- Looking for Good Value; NOT BEST

D

dugndeep

Audiophyte
Working on finishing a 18x35 basement. The Home Theater will be in one half; 18x17. I have owned small HTIB systems by Polk and Energy and have been happy with them- So as you can tell, I'm not looking to break the Bank; Just get something good. Focus is HT, music is 2nd. My budget is under $2k. I have a good Yamaha receiver already and a PL200 Sub.

Some of the systems I am considering are (front/center/side/rear)-7.1
Polk (265LS/255LS/80FXLS/80FXLS)-$2000
Aperion (6LCR/6LCR/L6/L6)-$1200
Premier Audio (626/626/PA8C/PA8C)-$900
RBH (A610/A414/A615/A615)- $1255
*prices are close estimates.

I have also looked at Monitor Audio and some others; but the list can get exhausting.
But I'm starting to feel like I'm shopping the low end of the good stuff; and questioning whether I should just drop down to the Polk RT level-$1000; or maybe hold out and spend more.

I welcome your thoughts to my "parents with young kids" shootout of in-wall speakers- No $1000 each speakers here

Thanks
D

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Look at some good Boston VRi speakers, on close-out pricing.
7 each for your surround sound, will keep you under $2000
BOSTON ACOUSTICS VRi580 8in 2-way In-wall Speaker NEW Each | Accessories4less

Note:
MUST BE PURCHASED IN PAIRS (qty will be automatically adjusted to 2 speakers when adding to cart)

The minimum is 1 pair - however if buying 7, then put the number (7) in the cart
and it will tabulate to 7 each speakers.

They use to list for $550 each.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If it were me, I would be looking at Klipsch's THX in-walls. Here is a $2k system I would go for:
3 x Klipsch KL-2650-W In-Walls for the front stage.
4 x Klipsch R-2650-W In-Walls for surrounds
That is a bit over $2k, but AcousticSoundDesign has room to maneuver on pricing, offer them $2k for the entire package, I am betting they will bite. I think a Klipsch THX In-wall system will get you a far more theatrical experience for the price. I think it's also worth looking at Atlantic Technology and Triad, both names are will respected for high performance in-walls. Hsu has in-wall versions of their HB-1 speakers, which don't look bad. Another $2k in wall system that promises to be good:

3 x Atlantic Technology IWTS 10 LCR In-Walls for the front stage
4 x Hsu HIW Horn In-Walls for surrounds

You might also think about just getting some kind of package deal with Hsu and getting one of their subwoofers. Their mid and higher end subs will be leaps and bounds better then your BIC sub and that will make a big difference in your listening experience, especially in a room of that size. If it were me, I would see if they would swing for a 7 in-wall speaker package with a couple VTF2 subs for around $2k shipped. What's could be beneficial about the VTF2 is the driver is facing down-ward, so it isn't exposed and vulnerable to curious children. If you get a good Hsu sub, just sell your BIC sub or move it to another system, it would be a hindrance to the performance of a Hsu system.

D

dugndeep

Audiophyte
I really appreciate the help- Thanks for the recommendations.
The one issue I have is that my rears and backs Must be in-ceiling.

Thoughts:
Atlantic- I like those fronts, but would need to go with their ICTS 6.1 inwalls ($130each)
HSU- Love their stuff; but they don't carry inCeilings (but may need to consider upgrading to their sub)
Klipsch- This was on my radar (they have a 2650ic); but I thought I was going higher end with the other products (even considered 5800)
BA- Looked at this solutions VSi580 and 580T- but didn't think the fronts would be strong enough.

So should I pursue these new setups? Are they better than my original groups?

D

dugndeep

Audiophyte
I also thought this Klipsch setup could be a slight stretch option:

Would just need to add another rear set

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I really appreciate the help- Thanks for the recommendations.

BA- Looked at this solutions VSi580 and 580T- but didn't think the fronts would be strong enough.
What is your definition of not strong enough?

I can hear a telephone ring in a room your size!

D

dugndeep

Audiophyte
Very true.. guess I meant full... Love the price.
I also was told to check out RSL's W26 and C34- they are on sale right now.

Damn.. I know I'm going to spend more... but love it

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis