In wall/in ceiling - expensive - fireproof

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
I've decided that the home theater room I'm designing would have a cleaner look with in wall surrounds. I ordered six speakers, four in ceiling and two in wall. All Elac Vertex 2's. I have a few questions concerning in ceiling/in wall speakers in general.

1. Why are in walls so expensive compared to their cabinet counterparts? They seem to be almost double the price.
2. Should I create a 1 hr fireproof box around the in ceiling/in wall speakers?
3. Should that fireproof box match the volume of a bookshelf cabinet?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I've decided that the home theater room I'm designing would have a cleaner look with in wall surrounds. I ordered six speakers, four in ceiling and two in wall. All Elac Vertex 2's. I have a few questions concerning in ceiling/in wall speakers in general.

1. Why are in walls so expensive compared to their cabinet counterparts? They seem to be almost double the price.
2. Should I create a 1 hr fireproof box around the in ceiling/in wall speakers?
3. Should that fireproof box match the volume of a bookshelf cabinet?
My opinions?
1. They cost more because they can. Lol
2. I wouldn’t worry about a fire box. If the house is burning down, it won’t matter.
3. A back box can be useful for bass extension possibly, and keeping the sound from traveling through other parts of the house. I would ask the manufacturer about dimensions.

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
1. So your view is that in walls are a niche product, and therefore an expensive one.

2. I agree, but I'm wondering about insurance companies. We all know they will look for any excuse not to honor a claim. I guess I can talk to an inspector.

3. Thanks. That's a good idea.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
1. So your view is that in walls are a niche product, and therefore an expensive one.

2. I agree, but I'm wondering about insurance companies. We all know they will look for any excuse not to honor a claim. I guess I can talk to an inspector.

1. Generally yes. Although there are some good ones. They tend to be expensive because of the better materials.
2. Good point. Maybe check with your agent.

3. Roger that.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

You certainly have to worry about building inspectors. Breaching the fire wall is against code, and rightly so. Delaying a fire getting into the highly flammable wall space is an important safety measure.

I can tell you the inspectors were very concerned about my activities in my home construction in 2019.

They were particularly concerned about my through wall center speaker. I made good and sure the through wall was sealed off which was not easy and took quite a bit of expanding foam.

The in wall system in the great room was pretty easy to seal. These are all enclosed speakers. In walls with no back boxes are just toys, and dangerous.

The ceiling speakers are in back boxes and carefully sealed from the ceiling space with gaskets. You really want to delay a fire getting into the roof space.

Here in Eagan MN, a pressure test is required to see how intact the firewall is. I'm glad to say my endeavors past on the first test.

In wall systems are not easy to design. I suspect that most are actually pretty terrible. Getting an in wall system to be a really good system and not "just good for an in wall" is quite a challenge.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis