In-wall Center with floorstanding LRs

R

radio3

Enthusiast
I am thinking of going multichannel Audio, but would like to retain the simple aesthetics of a clean pair of white stereo speakers. So I was thinking of adding in-wall speakers to a pair of Dali Oberon 5 floorstanders. I am sure there’s nothing controversial about using in-ceiling speakers for Atmos and in-wall speakers for the rear.

But would it be crazy to use an in-wall for my center channel? Do they perform very much worse than standalone center speakers (e.g. Dali Oberon Vokal)? I thought perhaps something like the Klipsch Reference Premier speakers (https://www.klipsch.com/products/pro-250rpw-in-wall-lcr-speaker) might perform excellently. I have Dirac to time align everything so I am not concerned about the small difference in depth of placement.

Any advice on the sensibility of using an in-wall center channel would be appreciated. I actually don’t even know how much the center channel is really used with upmixed music. I know if movies the majority of dialogue goes through them. What their actual workload in Dolby Surround upmixed stereo is, though, I have no idea. It would be invaluable to be able to make all the additional speakers disappear though, due to a variety of spatial and aesthetic constraints.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis