In Wall-Ceiling Atmos speaker recommendations please

olddog

olddog

Audioholic
I am building a new home and need some in-wall/celing speakers for Atmos on a Denon X3300W. Celings are catherdral style so at a slant. Been looking at the Polk 70RT,-Micca M series,-and the Klipsh R 5650, Klipish CDT-5650 (I like the way the speakers can be swivled as the celing is at a pitch) , Polk RC 80I (this one is the one of choice at the moment due to quality and price)
Thanks for any input.
Room size 25x30

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Are you asking just about the height speakers, or are you asking for all the channels?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In-walls and in-ceiling speakers are quite "permanent", so you might choose brands that are highly regarded - JBL, KEF, RBH, Revel, NHT, Monitor Audio.

I would also recommend choosing ceiling speakers with bigger and more dynamic drivers. For example, 8" woofers over smaller sizes.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have a pair of Polk rc85 in a special room of my house. They work very well but I also have 4 rsl C34e’s in a slanted ceiling. They have a 15deg baffle and is one of the reasons I chose them. They also are much better than the polks.
I tend to agree with acdtg in the larger driver thing, but I have found my rsl’s to be very very good. And the CS is first rate.
My side surrounds are jbl studio in walls with dual 5-1/4 woofers. These are also excellent and I got them open box for 369.

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
Hi All,
I apologize to post an add-on question, but I have been looking for posts discussing in-ceiling vs on-ceiling speakers. Would installing speakers within a ceiling have a negative effect on sound? Would mounting a small bookshelf to the ceiling provide better sound? Would mounting bookshelves right against the ceiling create its own distortion? Most Atmos/ceiling speaker posts I have found are 3+ years old. I am sure improvements have been made since, but no one is posting?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Unless you have a really tall ceiling I would go in-ceilings which is what most people do for the atmos speakers. I went with 8" polks and they sound great.

olddog

olddog

Audioholic
Thanks for the input
The celings on the HT room are slanted on one side as the peak break starts going down to the open kitchen. Max peak height 12' speaker height left 8' both over seating and rear-right 15% SLANT- 10' same. front and celing speakers 12' spacing.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have a pair of Polk rc85 in a special room of my house. They work very well but I also have 4 rsl C34e’s in a slanted ceiling. They have a 15deg baffle and is one of the reasons I chose them. They also are much better than the polks.
I tend to agree with acdtg in the larger driver thing, but I have found my rsl’s to be very very good. And the CS is first rate.
My side surrounds are jbl studio in walls with dual 5-1/4 woofers. These are also excellent and I got them open box for 369.
Hey I've been impressed with my C34e's as well what frequency can they handle I've heard they can do 80hz but I'm wondering with those dual 4 inch woofers in them

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I am building a new home and need some in-wall/celing speakers for Atmos on a Denon X3300W. Celings are catherdral style so at a slant. Been looking at the Polk 70RT,-Micca M series,-and the Klipsh R 5650, Klipish CDT-5650 (I like the way the speakers can be swivled as the celing is at a pitch) , Polk RC 80I (this one is the one of choice at the moment due to quality and price)
Thanks for any input.
Room size 25x30
In answer to your question I have 4 RSL C34E's in my setup like William I love them. Although normally I'd recommend a bigger driver like others are saying I can really vouch for the C34E's. They sound great.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey I've been impressed with my C34e's as well what frequency can they handle I've heard they can do 80hz but I'm wondering with those dual 4 inch woofers in them
80hz seems great to me. My math could be wrong but two 4.5” drivers is more surface area than a single 8”. Plus you have the benefit of splitting the thermal and acoustic loads between two drivers vs one.
What are yours set at?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
80hz seems great to me. My math could be wrong but two 4.5” drivers is more surface area than a single 8”. Plus you have the benefit of splitting the thermal and acoustic loads between two drivers vs one.
What are yours set at?
Audyssey set them at 110hz for the fronts 90 Hz for the back but I'm playing around with them now.

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
Surface area = Pi R squared
4.5 inch = 2.25 squared = 5.06 X pi = 15.9 sq inches
8 inch = 4 squared = 16 X pi = 50.25 sq inches
What I lack in audio knowledge, I make up for in Geometry!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis