C

cropduster1

Enthusiast
Just wondering what kind of SPL #'s people can achieve with their systems. I have a Yamaha rxv-2500 with Axiom m-60's (I have NO subwoofer) and at 16'( my listening position) I was showing around 102-103 db, also I have a very large room with vaulted ceilings.

Is this a good number? I guess I'm looking for conformation that everything is performing up to par...

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
What 103 isn't loud enough? :eek:

With my Denon 3805 and Mirage 595is speakers I'm able to get over 100db at 0 on the volume control with several DVD's. But I don't ever listen to it that loud. Sounds like your system is working fine.

C

cropduster1

Enthusiast
I'm probably half deaf from airplane noise !!!

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
cropduster1 said:
I'm probably half deaf from airplane noise !!!
ya don't think it might actually be from listening to a receiver cranked up to 103 dB ?? :eek:

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
cropduster1 said:
I was showing around 102-103 db .... Is this a good number?

Multiple Choice Answers, please choose only one.

A. This is a test. A test of the emergency broadcast station in your area. If this had been an actual audio emergency you would have been instructed to insert your ear plugs and kiss your butt good bye.

B. Can you hear me now?

C. What? Can you speak up sonny, I am a bit hard of hearing.

D. Damn, what was that explosion?

E. Wow.

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
With the mic in the listening position and me in the next room with the door closed watching the RTA, 120db was no problem.

It's kind of like taking your car out one time to see what it will do, but there's really not much point in the exercise as it's dangerous.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Az B said:
It's kind of like taking your car out one time to see what it will do, but there's really not much point in the exercise as it's dangerous.
But that's what makes it fun. :D :D :D

C

cropduster1

Enthusiast
O.K., I get it!! It's pretty loud. Even though I didn't state it I was actually wondering if this SPL sounded correct. I had just bought a Radio Shack analog SPL meter and had no way of knowing if it was calibrated correctly.

But thanks for the funny replies....

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
so cropduster - are you happy with your M60s? I was looking at them but I was afraid the bass response might not be as big as I wanted unless I spend $1000 for the axiom sub too.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Whether it's a good SPL depends a lot on what frequency you're measuring. 102 dB @ 20 hz would be pretty good. The same figure at 60 hz, well, probably enough but not a really impressive figure. Bear in mind that if you stand in 5 different spots around the room you'll get a range of numbers that might be 15-20 dB different. You typically get some room gain at the very low end, and room modes will create peaks and nulls thru out the room.

In my med-to-largish room I can get about 120 dB @ 20 hz, measured in the spot where I do all my listening. I use 2 pretty large subs with a pretty good sized outboard amp to get that, but it's some serious grunt. If you can hit 102 thru most of the range from 20-80 hz, that should suffice for most stuff.

C

cropduster1

Enthusiast
Larry,
I am very happy with the m-60's, I too was worried about how much bass could be produced from such a small set of woofers(2). I grew up in the lots of bass in your car days so it took some adjustment to hear the music as it was intended to be.I sometimes throw in some Metallica and it sounds great. But I think I will be purchasing a sub soon(maybe SVS) just to catch the really low stuff and to take the load off the Axioms.

Rob,

The SPL #'s I was getting was playing music and were what the speakers were maintaining, meaning the needle never dropped below that level, but the peak was a little higher.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis