In need of some help choosing a 7.1 Speaker System

C

cc911563

Audiophyte
I am looking to buy a 7.1 Speaker System for my new townhome. The amount of room is not that large (normal townhouse living room). I already have the Onkyo TXNR801 THX Select 7.1-Channel Digital Surround Receiver and am looking for help for a great quality 7.1 channel speaker system that sounds great, especially with movies.

Please let me know if there are must need items (wiring, amps, etc.....)

Thank you all for your help.

~~~Audio Newbie~~~

gregz

gregz

Full Audioholic
Hi cc911563, there's a tonnage of speakers out there that would just love to have a home in a new townhome. :p

You'll probably get more answers if you narrow it down a bit. What's your approximate budget for the speakers, and do you plan to listen to music on this system as well? If so, what are your musical tastes?

C

cc911563

Audiophyte
OK Heregoes:

Price Range: Less than $2000
Music: Not that Important to me. I listen to just about everything but normally don't listen to much music in the house. More for movies than anything.

Any additional information needed?

cam

cam

Audioholic
cc911563 said:
OK Heregoes:

Price Range: Less than $2000
Music: Not that Important to me. I listen to just about everything but normally don't listen to much music in the house. More for movies than anything.

Any additional information needed?
In Canada, for $2000 you could probably work a Paradigm dealer into selling you a cc370 and 3 pairs of mini monitors v3's and a ps1000 v4 sub. With these speakers and your receiver you would be in home theater heaven. But if you don't have adequate room behind your couch forget about 7.1 and stick with 5.1. A well set up 5.1 is WAY better then a 7.1 with a room that will not accept it. In which case you will not need an extra pair of mini monitors so the money saved could go towards a bigger sub or bigger mains.

Last edited:
gregz

gregz

Full Audioholic
Like cam said, 7.1 is not always better than 5.1, particularly in a smaller room. And don't worry about "wasting" the extra amplifier channels on your Onkyo. Because all the channels share a common power supply, there will be more current available to the channels you are using (notice the power rating is highest when only two channels are used).

Since you're only going to be watching movies, you don't need super accurate speakers. In fact, since you live in a townhome, you (or your neighbors) probably don't want thunderous low bass. That's money saved! :)

I think you'd be well served with a less expensive speaker set, possibly a "box" system. Save $1200 to put into the system that you use to listen to your music.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis