J

jdbwolverines

Audioholic Intern
I don't know if this is exactly the right section to be posting under, but it seems the closest. Let me know if not and I will move it.

Anyway, my sony MDR-EX71, finally broke and I am looking for a new pair on in ear style headphones. They were my first set of headphones that were above the free with music player/crap level that you usually see and I greatly enjoyed them. (at 29.99 which I paid for them I would recommend them to anyone). For my new set I would like to get an even better set somewhere in the $100 to $125 range. Some that I am looking at are the Shure E2, Etymotic ER-6, Sennheiser CX 300 and the Ultimate Ears super.fi 3. If anyone has and experience and opinions about any of these of other models you think I should look into, I'd love to hear it.

sbader2

sbader2

Junior Audioholic
I have a pair of Shure E2c earphones and absolutely love them. If you get them use the foam pads, they work a lot better than the rubber.

D

Davidt1

Full Audioholic
I bought the Sennheiser CX300 to replace my Sony earphones a month ago. It sounds much better than the Sony. In addition to sounding clean and refined, the CX300 is very efficient. It takes just a few clicks on the volume control of my mp3 player to play loud. I am very happy with it.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I love my e2c's! With this type of can the key to good bass is a tight fit. They need to really grip the ear canal to have the leverage necessary to go deep. The great thing is that since they block outside noise you will find yourself listening at lower, less damaging volumes and enjoying it more.

sbader2

sbader2

Junior Audioholic
Those UE-10s look pretty damn cool. Only $900 :)

I think that youre gonna get a bunch of different answers in this department. A good recommendation would be to try and find a place with a good return policy. Maybe then you can try out a couple... Just a thought.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
sbader2 said:
I have a pair of Shure E2c earphones and absolutely love them. If you get them use the foam pads, they work a lot better than the rubber.

I have the E2c's and use the rubber inserts. When cutting the grass (read: sweating:)) they do slip out a bit. I still like them, as the foam one's do not last as long, for me they last a couple uses then I have to replace them. With a tight seal, they pump the bass nicely. I am amazed everytime I use them.

Pat

sbader2

sbader2

Junior Audioholic
Mine last longer than that, problem is when they do get bad I'm too lazy to replace them anyway.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I also have E2C's, but I don't really like them. I found the Altec lansing Inmotions to be better.

SheepStar

J

jdbwolverines

Audioholic Intern
Thanks everyone for the input. I found a few stores around me that carry a some of the models I am looking at with reasonable return policies so I am just going to get a few and test them out.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
I've had the Etymotic ER-6s for a year now. I fly a lot, so they get a good workout. I tried the more expensive models, but sent them back - the ER-6s sounded just as good, IMHO, for less than $100 on line. The $300 plus buds might sound slightly better, but not enough to justify the price difference.

Of course, that's just my opinion - I could be wrong...;)

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
Geno said:
I've had the Etymotic ER-6s for a year now. I fly a lot, so they get a good workout. I tried the more expensive models, but sent them back - the ER-6s sounded just as good, IMHO, for less than $100 on line. The $300 plus buds might sound slightly better, but not enough to justify the price difference.

Of course, that's just my opinion - I could be wrong...;)
My opinion also, the Etymotic ER-6s are comparable to the much more expensive models only cheaper:)

geoh

farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
I've used the Shure E2c for 2 years now. I use the rubber inserts for plane rides and the foams for everyday. I needed to get used to them for the first few tries. Love them now. I get spare foams from stores that sell the Shures they usually have a few spare bags from their demo units.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis