Improving current speakers with bracing/filler?

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
So I have Yamaha NS-50F front speakers , relatively inexpensive speakers that actually sound quite good to my ears
IMG_20210827_192628_copy_1076x806.jpg
IMG_20210827_192559_copy_660x879.jpg
IMG_20210827_192505_copy_749x1000.jpg
. Now I can't afford to upgrade them right now and if I do , anything that will be substantially better is fairy expensive here in NZ ie svs prime towers are $2499 a pair here . The various Polk's or Klipsch are around$1200 a pair but I'm sceptical they'll outperform the Yamahas enough to warrant the upgrade. So I'm looking at possibly improving what I have . Heres pics of the interior of the Yamahas. There's no cross bracing and only dampening material on one side strangely. As a side note the extra magnet attached to the rear of the motor is strange to me . Opinions ? A fools endeavour??

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The tricky part about adding bracing is it changes the internal volume of the cabinet. How much that will affect he sound is above my pay grade, but the more bracing you add the more volume you take up internally.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
The tricky part about adding bracing is it changes the internal volume of the cabinet. How much that will affect he sound is above my pay grade, but the more bracing you add the more volume you take up internally.
while I agree with that I think the Op's speakers could quite possibly be more affected by cabinet resonance and whatever detrimental sound it induces than internal volume concerns ??

if it were me I'd start saving my $$ for better speakers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
while I agree with that I think the Op's speakers could quite possibly be more affected by cabinet resonance and whatever detrimental sound it induces than internal volume concerns ??

if it were me I'd start saving my $$ for better speakers
Yeah, that's why I threw in "above my paygrade". Stiffening up cabinet resonances might be worth the cost of a little bit of bass extension, but I don't know enough to advise one way or the other.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Fibre fill isn't expensive but whether you would notice the difference with more stuffing is questionable. Adding bracing is likely not even possible. The only access is through the woofer opening. Agree with Mikado. Save your money for a proper upgrade. Maybe keep a close eye on the used market for a lucky find.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So I have Yamaha NS-50F front speakers , relatively inexpensive speakers that actually sound quite good to my earsView attachment 49949View attachment 49950View attachment 49951 . Now I can't afford to upgrade them right now and if I do , anything that will be substantially better is fairy expensive here in NZ ie svs prime towers are $2499 a pair here . The various Polk's or Klipsch are around$1200 a pair but I'm sceptical they'll outperform the Yamahas enough to warrant the upgrade. So I'm looking at possibly improving what I have . Heres pics of the interior of the Yamahas. There's no cross bracing and only dampening material on one side strangely. As a side note the extra magnet attached to the rear of the motor is strange to me . Opinions ? A fools endeavour??
Adding bracing will decrease volume and upset tuning. For reflex loading covering 50% of the enclosure is usually correct. Only a good model will guide you. If you add too much then you kill bass output. So absent a model, I would leave your speakers alone.

K

KNOTSCOTT

Enthusiast
Cross-bracing should help reduce panel resonance, but can also decrease volume a tad, so keep the brace diameter to a minimum. I'd also consider adding a bit more stuffing (wool, acousti-stuff, polyfill, or dense memory foam) to help absorb internal resonance. You can it in increments until you like it. Keep it away from the woofer cone, and port area. No harm done, and it's un-doable if you don't like it.

Upgrading the crossover components and wires can be fairly inexpensive, and can set the stage for better clarity in your system. I'd change the iron core inductors to heavier gauge air core, and change the cheap electrolytic caps to a poly film cap of approximately the same value. You could also add a very high quality small value bypass cap of something like 0.01uf to help improve treble. A lot of folks will say it won't make a difference....each change can be tough to detect by itself, but all totaled, if your system is good, it can be quite audible. One thing is for sure, if you leave what's there installed, it'll likely always be the weakest link in your system.

I suspect the extra magnet is a bucking magnet for shielding.

In the end, it's hard to say if these really worth much of a cash outlay or effort, but it could be a good learning experience for not a bunch of money.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My first set of speakers were some large bookshelf Yamahas. Despite their flaws, like thin cabinets and inexpensive drivers, they had a nice, pleasant voicing and sounded pretty decent but lacked any bass for their size. If the cabinet is a problem, bracing and stuffing will help a little, but you will not magically transform the speaker to sound better than it's capabilities.

highfigh

highfigh

Adding bracing will decrease volume and upset tuning. For reflex loading covering 50% of the enclosure is usually correct. Only a good model will guide you. If you add too much then you kill bass output. So absent a model, I would leave your speakers alone.
Bracing doesn't need to occupy much space- a simple 1/4" hardwood dowel will help and it doesn't need to be large diameter, just located properly and long enough to put some pressure on the cabinet to break up the resonances in each panel that would be affected.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Bracing doesn't need to occupy much space- a simple 1/4" hardwood dowel will help and it doesn't need to be large diameter, just located properly and long enough to put some pressure on the cabinet to break up the resonances in each panel that would be affected.
I was going to say that, but not sure how much these will really benefit. Looking at them, 1 or 2 between the side panels, which look like the least supported, might help. Will it help a LOT? Hard to tell. I would probably just line the walls with a layer of stuffing and be done with them.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Another piece of info for the files. Didn't know that bass reflex only calls for half the enclosure to be covered. I've read a lot of threads on DIY speakers and most fail to include enough details on how much dampening material is used and where to properly place it.

highfigh

highfigh

I was going to say that, but not sure how much these will really benefit. Looking at them, 1 or 2 between the side panels, which look like the least supported, might help. Will it help a LOT? Hard to tell. I would probably just line the walls with a layer of stuffing and be done with them.
Depends on the material used (the OP's photos show particle board), material quality and frequencies that are being excited. The latter is usually well above the fundamental frequencies that are produced by the woofer, but if they're multiples and strong enough, the midbass or midrange sound will be colored, to some extent. it would be a good idea to thump the cabinet in several locations and check the frequency, to see if it's really necessary. If it comes in around 500-800 Hz, the woofer isn't going likely to be the problem suspected by the OP.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Cheers !!! I'll leave well enough alone as they are fairly pleasant to listen too , especially coming from my old speakers , cerwin vega VE-12f. Definitely looking at upgrades . Polk S55 are $1400 nzd a pair here.... Avoiding Klipsch as the horn loaded tweeters are not my thing . Oh an interesting about the specific dampening material placement in ported enclosures , gotta do some reading!

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Heres a link to the Andrew Jones pioneers here in NZ . I wouldn't use the sub but seems like a good deal on speakers that would be an upgrade to the Yamahas. Review well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis