Imperial 8 Marantz Speakers

M

mcchesiii

Audiophyte
I have a pair of Marantz Imperial 8 speakers that my friend gave because he thought they were old and worn out. The dimensions are 19" x 27". They have a 12" woofer, 3 midranges and 2 tweeters plus 2 ports. Though I repaired them by replacing all the cone filters that had dry rotted, I just wonder what kind of sound I should expect to get compared to newer speakers and when they were new. Can I get 75-80% of the original sound?

Also, based on the configuration of tweeters, midranges and woofers, are these defintely Imperial 8's?

Lastly, what would these have cost new? Just curious.

Thanks,

Ches

S

sdniel

Audiophyte
I have a pair of Marantz Imperial 8's. They were and still are kick *** speakers, especially since they are over 30 years old. I have a Marantz 4270 quadraphonic amp that still puts out clean sound. I need to replace the foam in the speakers though. Sounds like you have Imperial 8's as they have 2 tweeters, three 3 1/4" mid range and one 12" woofer.

My Marantz amp, which weighs around 50 lbs dropped off a shelf about 5 feet tall as the plastic supports broke in the middle of the night. Thought someone was breaking in. Amp still works 100%, even after being dropped! They don't make 'em like they used to.

S

sdniel

Audiophyte
Was curious where you got the repair kit for the cones? Need to repair the foam and maybe could get a repair kit from the same place.

Thanks,

sdn

S

Scoteh

Audiophyte
Ches, I'm a little late in repying to your post, but you definitely have Imperial 8's by your description. I've had a pair that I bought new in 1975. The grills were destroyed by my ex (spray polish ate the foam up) and I eventually had to have the foam on the woofers and the mids replaced. Luckily at the time I had a guru that took care of such things. Sadly, though, he has disappeared, and I don't know what happened to him. Regardless, if you get the speakers straightened out, you'll love them. You can't really compare them to "modern" speakers, in my opinion. The 8's have great controlled bottom end (not sub woofer stuff), kick-tail driving mids, and nice clear highs. Put on Ted Nugent's Stranglehold, turn it way up, and you'll know exactly what I mean. They do NOT make speakers like this any more. Those heavy, solid, insulated cabinets don't expand or contract like cheaper cabinets. That has a lot to do with keeping the frequency response nice and steady. I'm sorry I wrote a book, but I'm pretty passionate about Imperial 8's. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.
Scot

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis