Impedance compatibility

S

Spathe

Audiophyte
Hi!

I want to upgrade my audio system based on JVC RX-5042 receiver [System].
I have a very little budget so I'm looking for Quest Q660 to replace the 2 surround speakers.

My receiver have 8 - 16 ohm but the Q660 are 6 ohm. I read that it should work for many receiver. But I'm not an expert, so I ask the expert :D Should I give it a try? Does it worth it?

Thank you very much.
It's my first time in this forum and I'm enjoying it :p

G

guess88

Junior Audioholic
the only problem you MIGHT run into is the receiver's internal amp running hotter, and possibly some more noticable distortion, but you probably won't notice it. You should gain a slight power increase due to the lower ohm load though. I'd mainly just watch the heat and make sure your receiver doesn't get too hot.

S

Spathe

Audiophyte
Thank you guess88, I will make sure my receiver doesn't get too hot!

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Spathe said:
I have a very little budget so I'm looking for Quest Q660 to replace the 2 surround speakers.
just checking here.. are you going to use these big towers for surrounds ? surrounds in an HT system aren't pushed much, and your receiver should barely notice them.

if you are running them as mains (or if you run alot of SACD or DVD-audio), which drive the speakers all the time, then you will need to be careful of the heat.

S

Spathe

Audiophyte
Leprkon said:
just checking here.. are you going to use these big towers for surrounds ? surrounds in an HT system aren't pushed much, and your receiver should barely notice them.

if you are running them as mains (or if you run alot of SACD or DVD-audio), which drive the speakers all the time, then you will need to be careful of the heat.
Yes, I want to use them for surrounds. It's mostly for music but I usually don't push my system to hard. I hope these towers will bring more "sound presence".

Thank you for the advices!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis