Immersive stuff (real deal or not)

A

_audiouser_

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I saw the pics of the new Immersive stuff showed at CEDIA.

Looks cool, but what I find funny is immersives claim to fame was the first (affordable) DCDI video processor from a PCI card.

&quot;Replace your expensive scaler with a Holograph&quot;

Now they want build expensive scalers. &nbsp;They seem to be well on their way to being a high end &quot;exotic&quot; vendor. &nbsp;It also shows the difference between &quot;high end&quot; and everything else is just a brand name. &nbsp;Oh well, it's only a matter of time before someone else moves in to fill the void.

Which brings me to another thought, &nbsp;how long before the really big consumer tech players (MSFT, NVDA, ATI, Dell, INTC) move into this market with convergence products. &nbsp;To be honest I don't see how most HT technology companies are going to last unless they change their business model (AKA planning for 100 points in the MSRP and exclusive dealer sales zones).

&nbsp;The current audio industry distribution model reminds me of the old computer VAR &quot;Channel&quot;. &nbsp;Dell took the stupid Value Attenuated Reseller out of the picture and people flocked to them like moths to a light. &nbsp;Outlaw is looking down the right path (to stay alive), they just need more/the right products. &nbsp; &nbsp;

Just a thought or two.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi,
I was one of the Beta testers of the original HOLO3D PCI card which needed a 10bit vid card (preferably ATI) to work.

It has an SDI input and Immersive also sold me an SDI modded rp82. &nbsp;The combination works great for me but I was 1 of only 2 RPTV users in the test. &nbsp;The real winners with these products are the FP users as it gives them so much flexibility.

Right now I scale my cable/ld/dvd and svhs to 1080i.
One of my first comments about the card was that it made ntsc watchable on a large screen tv.

They now have a new version which works with a daughter card that allows the scaling of the pc's dvd player and you don't use the vid card.

Your comment about vid card manufacturers is right except for the fact that it's the gamers their interested in.
ATI tokened in a component dongle which transcodes 480i p and 1080i. &nbsp;It has a setteng for 540p that they have yet to enable and it's been a year already. &nbsp;The only problem that I find with the dongle vs a KD transcoder is that you can't use an A/B switcher to go to the monitor, you have tobe directly connected to the vid card and the dongle only works with certain ATI cards.

Anyway Tom Strade the owner/pres of Immersive is a pretty sharp guy with alot of cutting edge ideas.

My thought is that we're getting more and more HD programming all the time so once you have everything in 1080i will 1080p be that important. Anyway if you already have a cutting edge PC running XP you can probably find some good deals on the original.

Peter m.</font>

A

_audiouser_

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Peter,

The HTPC is a good thing, &nbsp;my HTPC isn't really cutting edge, but it gets the job done (Radeon 8500 with an ATI-TV Wonder). &nbsp;I've got it hooked into my HDTV via the vga port (yup my Pioneer has a DB 15).

good stuff</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis