I'm taking the plunge...

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Some people aren't all that smart, someone may pick up my harmone one and want to watch tv, and still not be smart enough to push the touchscreen where it says watch tv... but with very little instruction they can be easily watching movies in no time, it just depends on how easy you want to make it. I could put a folder on my desktop that would show all the movie files on all my computers when opened and tell them to just double click the movie they want to watch. I don't have it setup quite that easy, but it isn't hard at all the way I have it setup right now.

itschris

itschris

Some people aren't all that smart, someone may pick up my harmone one and want to watch tv, and still not be smart enough to push the touchscreen where it says watch tv... but with very little instruction they can be easily watching movies in no time, it just depends on how easy you want to make it. I could put a folder on my desktop that would show all the movie files on all my computers when opened and tell them to just double click the movie they want to watch. I don't have it setup quite that easy, but it isn't hard at all the way I have it setup right now.
I don't disagree with that and putting a shortcut on the desktop would certainly make it "easier." I think for my wife and daughter, it'd probably just be easier for them to have one place to go to wacht movies, listen to music, watch their recorded TV, or show their pictures to their friends. Having one unified place, albeit an imperfect one, may still be the best overall solution. I guess I'm also putting the cart before the horse here a bit too. I gotta get this damn thing built and all my music re-ripped.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Well you and DefTechGuy have your storage spread out across multiple partitions right? If this is the case IDK if you have all the partitions linked to a single location or folder in some way or not. If not there are several ways to do this, some easier than others. You can create Symbolic links which is really easy to do with an app called WinbolicLink.

You can also do this through DFS and folder redirection. Just an FYI if you didn't know to make your life easier.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I guess it can't be too easy when you have 24TB of storage for BDs.:D

It's easier when you just have ONE folder or HDD.

I made just one Movie Folder for my 7 yr old daughter and put all her cartoons on this 500GB HDD. She watches her movies on a daily basis without any assistance from me.

itschris

itschris

Well, I guess it can't be too easy when you have 24TB of storage for BDs.:D

It's easier when you just have ONE folder or HDD.

I made just one Movie Folder for my 7 yr old daughter and put all her cartoons on this 500GB HDD. She watches her movies on a daily basis without any assistance from me.
Wait until I tell my wife your 7 year old little girl is smarter than her. If you guys don't see any posts from me tomorrow, call the police and tell them to search for a guy with a fireplace poker stuck up his a$$!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wait until I tell my wife your 7 year old little girl is smarter than her. If you guys don't see any posts from me tomorrow, call the police and tell them to search for a guy with a fireplace poker stuck up his a$$!
But please do tell your wife that she is smarter than my 6 yr old daughter who does ask for assistance once in a while.:eek::D

And we'll send the Audioholics Ambulance if we don't hear from you.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Some people aren't all that smart...
Yeah, really.

No matter how "simple" you make it, someone's going to screw up anyway.:D

If you have just ONE HDD and you can't figure out how to double-click on the name of the movie you want to watch, then I have no words for you.:D

itschris

itschris

Yeah, really.

If you have just ONE HDD and you can't figure out how to double-click on the name of the movie you want to watch, then I have no words for you.:D

Unfortunately, it's not smarts, but willingness. She's huddled over by the fire... yes a raging fire in the fireplace... here in FL... I don't know whether to break the news to her now or wait until later when there's nothing sharp or hot she can hit me with! :D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Well you and DefTechGuy have your storage spread out across multiple partitions right? If this is the case IDK if you have all the partitions linked to a single location or folder in some way or not. If not there are several ways to do this, some easier than others. You can create Symbolic links which is really easy to do with an app called WinbolicLink.

You can also do this through DFS and folder redirection. Just an FYI if you didn't know to make your life easier.
I have image files on different hard drives on different PC's, but I can see them all in one location thanks to Windows 7's libraries. I have a library called Movies, and have all the folders containing my movies show in that one location, it's quite simple and works perfectly.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, really.

I work in IT and one of my buddies at work has a sign that says "if you make it idiot proof they will just build a better idiot". Truly an epic statement when him and I have to work with "users" all day. :)

I have image files on different hard drives on different PC's, but I can see them all in one location thanks to Windows 7's libraries. I have a library called Movies, and have all the folders containing my movies show in that one location, it's quite simple and works perfectly.
So you are accomplishing it through folder redirection. Cool, I know AcuDefTechGuy is new to the PC realm so I just wanted to bring it to you guys attention. There is usually a better way of doing things in IT as there is always a million different ways to skin the cat so to speak.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So you are accomplishing it through folder redirection. Cool, I know AcuDefTechGuy is new to the PC realm so I just wanted to bring it to you guys attention.
Okay, so what are you guys talking about - Folder Redirection?:D

How does this work when you have 10 external HDDs?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I work in IT and one of my buddies at work has a sign that says "if you make it idiot proof they will just build a better idiot". Truly an epic statement when him and I have to work with "users" all day. :)

So you are accomplishing it through folder redirection. Cool, I know AcuDefTechGuy is new to the PC realm so I just wanted to bring it to you guys attention. There is usually a better way of doing things in IT as there is always a million different ways to skin the cat so to speak.
I don't think I'm doing folder redirection, I am using the libraries in Win. 7. By default there is only one location for the library, but it gives you the option to add multiple locations to the library so that you can see files from different directories either on the same pc or on a network.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think I'm doing folder redirection, I am using the libraries in Win. 7. By default there is only one location for the library, but it gives you the option to add multiple locations to the library so that you can see files from different directories either on the same pc or on a network.
I'm going to have to play with this.:D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
It's a great feature, I use it for movies, music, documents, whatever... it's nice being able to keep things organized and see everything from mulitple locations all in one window.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis