I'm not in my 20s anymore...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know of anyone who goes to a Chiro on a regular basis and were cured- they always need to go back for more adjustments. While I agree that our skeleton needs to be in alignment, jerking an yanking parts in a completely unnatural direction and force really bothers me, especially if it's the neck.

Another part of many videos that really annoys me- they raise both feet, to show that one leg is longer than the other and after manipulation, they show both feet as the same length, but the camera angle is completely different and wrong.
Seriously?

Do you audition audio gear over YouTube as well?

;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What part made you ask "Seriously?"

Why would I use bad audio to audition audio equipment?
Citing YouTube videos is pretty pointless. Any Chiropractor posting YT Vids, frankly, is more quack than Chiropractor. I would fire my Chiro if I learned he was posting YT vids!

We don't have to agree on Chiropractic care. I will again for the record state that it isn't for everybody. Cool?

I'm fine with you not being into it, but if you haven't tried it or discussed the practice of it with a skilled practitioner, using YT videos to back up your commentary is much the same as auditioning audio gear over YT.

Regardless, I didn't come here specifically to advocate for Chiropractic care, rather to support my buddy CB. As far as I'm concerned, we can be done with this topic... and should be unless CB wishes to discuss it more.

Peace.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Citing YouTube videos is pretty pointless. Any Chiropractor posting YT Vids, frankly, is more quack than Chiropractor. I would fire my Chiro if I learned he was posting YT vids!

We don't have to agree on Chiropractic care. I will again for the record state that it isn't for everybody. Cool?

I'm fine with you not being into it, but if you haven't tried it or discussed the practice of it with a skilled practitioner, using YT videos to back up your commentary is much the same as auditioning audio gear over YT.

Regardless, I didn't come here specifically to advocate for Chiropractic care, rather to support my buddy CB. As far as I'm concerned, we can be done with this topic... and should be unless CB wishes to discuss it more.

Peace.
They make a helluva lot of money on YT- My point is, I have yet to know someone who was able to stop going to a chiropractor. As I posted, I know the spine needs to be aligned, but I don't like the violent way they perform some movements. I never said I think they're quacks. Also, I have seen reactions from orthopedic surgeons who were shocked by treatments involving a Y strap, called a 'ring dinger' by some.

Don't take it personally.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Any back pain- I tweaked the lower at the lumber yard and have re-injured it, but I have a couple of ribs that slip out of place and it helps those, too. Before the roller, I could un-tweak it, but only if I could get it to relax enough- I lay on my back and push downward on my hips to provide a bit of traction and then, slowly cross my right leg with the left and vise-versa. When it goes back into alignment, I do it without a hard jerk and all I hear is a slight click, then repeat for the other side. After that, I pull my knees toward my chest, to stretch the back muscles.

I have watched chiropractors on YT and don't like the violent way they manipulate peoples' spines. They say it has to be unexpected in order to prevent the patient tensing ahead of the motion, but prefer massage. They also have a device called a Y strap and if I were to go to a Chiro and they try to use that, it's gonna be ugly. I have seen other videos of Orthopedic Surgeons watching this device being used and they were shocked that it's allowed.

I read, a long time ago, that after doing back bridges (laying on the stomach and lifting the arms and legs), the muscles are more relaxed than before- I tried it and it can help. It hurts while doing this, but it can help.

I knew a nurse who had chronic back problems and she aggravated it while a group of us were at a beach while camping- she grabbed the towel under a huge guy and jerked it, to try to get him to roll over and the jerking is what caused the problem.

Age can be 'just a number', but at some point, people stop doing strenuous activities and then, they try to lift something heavy- it rarely goes well. I'll be 67 in about two weeks and I was on my extension ladder yesterday, to clear out a downspout. I used my 'Little Giant' knockoff ladder which weighs roughly 80 pounds and had to carry it more than 50', just to move it from my garage, then had to extend it and raise the legs. I'm also 6'-2" and would never try this if I hadn't continued to lift heavy objects or if I wasn't as tall because it's awkward enough at my height- it would be much easier for it to tip over from a lower position. If I had worked at a desk for years, I wouldn't be doing this stuff but I look at it as exercise without using that kind of equipment.
I have a desk job, but I’ve always stayed active outside of work. I always lift weights and walk a lot. Except when the doctors say I can’t. Even when I had chemo I did what I could. Being fit was probably the main reason I survived all the chemo and surgeries I needed to get clean.

highfigh

highfigh

I have a desk job, but I’ve always stayed active outside of work. I always lift weights and walk a lot. Except when the doctors say I can’t. Even when I had chemo I did what I could. Being fit was probably the main reason I survived all the chemo and surgeries I needed to get clean.
I'm genuinely surprised that I can just pop out of bed in the morning, considering what I have done. Working in car audio/alarms, crawling around in peoples' homes in basements, crawl spaces, attics and in businesses- cranked my right arm back like it was on a slot machine, lifting more than I should, using my hands like I could get replacements anytime I want.....all things considered, I can't complain about the little aches and pains. If I start to feel bummed about it, all I need to do to come to my senses is look around- plenty of people have it a lot worse.

highfigh

highfigh

True at that.
I was feeling like a victim one day and that stopped as soon as I saw the guy behind the counter at an ACE hardware store with an artificial leg.........That's right, it's all about me......:rolleyes:

Last month, I was in the parking lot at a grocery store and watched a woman's cart roll away when the wind started blowing. She tried to chase it but couldn't go fast enough and fell, pretty hard. Didn't look like she had done any activity like that in decades, but it was her first reaction and with my leg, I understand that because I have done similar things without considering the problem. I ended my phone call while the cart guy and someone else tried to help her to her feet but they couldn't. I went over and asked how she felt after hearing her say that she had recently undergone open heart surgery and if she was feeling worse because of the fall, I would have wanted to call 911 but she said she was OK. I told her to grab my hands and to put her feet against mine, so they wouldn't slide as they had, previously. I started pulling her up and needed to tell her to lock her legs- we got her up quickly. Even then, I used my left leg as the anchor when I should have used my right because I can't push off as well with that one and I needed the others to help because that knee almost buckled.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
all I need to do to come to my senses is look around- plenty of people have it a lot worse
Yes indeed, you are right about that. I was talking to my neighbor and was telling me about his dad, who recently passed at 84. He had collapsed vertebrae, multiple surgeries, and 9/10 pain daily since the 80s. He wound up taking the max daily dose of opioids till his death. Sounds like a life of horrid suffering. Currently, my pain varies between a 2-7 but it's no 9/10. So I have to be grateful for that.

I'm in a conundrum now about whether or not to use neuropathic pain meds and painkillers to help improve quality of life or live with the pain. I'll rough it out and I'll wait 1.5 years. If after two years the back still bothers me a lot, and if I'm still in a 5-7 pain daily, throw in the towel and take the drugs. As someone who quit smoking, drinking, etc... cold turkey, I can say that addiction is scary and something I've experienced and overcome. If I go down the meds route I'm essentially accepting becoming an addict for improved quality of life. Is that worth it to me? Right now I'm learning towards yes.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes indeed, you are right about that. I was talking to my neighbor and was telling me about his dad, who recently passed at 84. He had collapsed vertebrae, multiple surgeries, and 9/10 pain daily since the 80s. He wound up taking the max daily dose of opioids till his death. Sounds like a life of horrid suffering. Currently, my pain varies between a 2-7 but it's no 9/10. So I have to be grateful for that.

I'm in a conundrum now about whether or not to use neuropathic pain meds and painkillers to help improve quality of life or live with the pain. I'll rough it out and I'll wait 1.5 years. If after two years the back still bothers me a lot, and if I'm still in a 5-7 pain daily, throw in the towel and take the drugs. As someone who quit smoking, drinking, etc... cold turkey, I can say that addiction is scary and something I've experienced and overcome. If I go down the meds route I'm essentially accepting becoming an addict for improved quality of life. Is that worth it to me? Right now I'm learning towards yes.
`
For neuropathic pain meds, Gabapentin showed up at the top of the list for pharmacological guidelines. My cardiologist has me on that.

Buprenorphine is something I was able to get prescribed but that was more about finding somebody willing to prescribe that. That script replaced 9 Percoset pills per month that I was taking as needed. It was basically to give me what I called a couple of free rides per week out of work after a taxing day. Anyway the Buprenorphine provides 24/7 pain relief preventatively, instead of dealing with the pain after it hits.

I have been treated by 3 different chiropractors in my life. One was a one time visit that provided no relief. The other two were wildly different in their approach. The last one I dubbed "The Bone Crusher". They did their job in correcting things and teaching me enough to make it through the next 30 years after the first guy and like 2 or 3 years since the last guy. Point being that I have been treated by a chiropractor and am now better without having to go in perpetuity. Maybe I'm the only one ...

This is weird but I think I pulled a glute that messed with my back and leg worse than anything I've experienced in the past. It was hard to tell what was messed up so ... I demanded an x-ray. That showed that I had vascular calcification which got me over to a cardiac surgeon for some chest cutting. That led to an opiate dependence and withdrawl which was easily mitigated with a taper dosage. Anyway, dependency isn't addiction. It's on the way to addiction I guess. I just never liked the high enough to deal with the hang over of opiates and the constipation. I'm afraid of the hang over and constipation. Withdrawal wasn't fun either. I guess I'm afraid of that too. But I haven't resorted to selling my body for drugs.

Between your age and the advances in medical tech, I think you'll come out the other side of this in good form. At least that's my hope for you.

I can't not mention weed. Not for your back but for your headspace. Works good with opiates too, they say.

Note: I do drywall for a living. NOBODY should listen to me.;)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Note: I do drywall for a living. NOBODY should listen to me.;)
On the contrary. You can mention drugs like Gabapentin and Buprenorphine, even spell the names right and provide reference lit about them.

You've not only learned a lot about chronic pain and pain meds first hand, you can also write about it. That gives others a good idea of what's out there.

You should charge other drywall guys for your pain med consults.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis