I'm confused on the difference between 3D audio and 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound

P

pilecarls8

Audiophyte
Recently I've been wanting to get into gaming with 3d audio. The problem is, I sort of know that the difference between it and virtual surround sound is that you can hear sound above and below you as well as all around you but when researching headphones and games and such, I am always worried companies might misleadingly use 3D audio as a way of saying more realistic surround or something along those lines. The headphones I want to buy have THX Audio (PewDiePie Razer Nari Ultimate) and I'm not sure whether or not that means better surround than normal, that it feels like more than 7 audio channels or whether or not it actually is 3D audio. As far as I know it's the third but I want to be sure. Right now I have the Gold PlayStation headset which has 7.1 VSS and I want to upgrade to the other headset I mentioned. I don't have much money often and I really want to make the right decision. I just wanted to know whether I can trust manufacturers and companies when they say their product has or supports 3D audio and if any of you can help me better understand what the differences are, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sorry the post is so long, it's a habit of mine to say a lot when I could say less.
10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254 happymod

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This for speakers or headphones? Sounds like headphones (and there's a specific subforum for that as well as for gaming). I'm not much of a headphone user let alone gamer.....is 3D someone's specific codec/format? I've heard of Auro 3D and similar to that are Atmos and DTS:X....something for speaker layout consideration. I'd think with headphones they're simply algorithms for an effect that's a bit different than normal surround modes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis