I'm confused on if my Yamaha schematics and def tech 7001s are true bi amp

M

Mikek

Enthusiast
image.png
My Yamaha rx-a3000 schematic I'm using def tech 7001s for front set with a built in sub according to this diagram if I choose to hook it up like it shows is it considered tri amp if I do it exactly. Or if I take my front right and left channels to appropriate speakers one set under each red and black post. Is that still called bi amp. The schematic shows swapping the channels on each tweets and mids? I'm seeing that would be tri once again just asking

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
View attachment 17789 My Yamaha rx-a3000 schematic I'm using def tech 7001s for front set with a built in sub according to this diagram if I choose to hook it up like it shows is it considered tri amp if I do it exactly. Or if I take my front right and left channels to appropriate speakers one set under each red and black post. Is that still called bi amp. The schematic shows swapping the channels on each tweets and mids? I'm seeing that would be tri once again just asking
These are the BP7001SC?

No, you cannot tri-AMP these speakers. That would send twice as much current in to the drivers.

These speakers are inherently bi-amped, due to the built in subwoofer.

Your owners manual has instructions for bi-WIRING these speakers, which only involves one amp channel, not two. Bi-AMPing could damage your speakers!

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
View attachment 17789 My Yamaha rx-a3000 schematic I'm using def tech 7001s for front set with a built in sub according to this diagram if I choose to hook it up like it shows is it considered tri amp if I do it exactly. Or if I take my front right and left channels to appropriate speakers one set under each red and black post. Is that still called bi amp. The schematic shows swapping the channels on each tweets and mids? I'm seeing that would be tri once again just asking
You can bi/tri-amp these speakers, "THE GOLD JUMPERS WOULD HAVE TO BE REMOVED!"

BUT.... this would be what is known as "passive bi-amping" meaning that you are still using the speakers internal crossover and when using the same amp to accomplish this it will not change your sound at all. (The only time passive bi-amping "may" give you a different sound is when using two completely separate amplifiers that have different sound signatures, and it still may not sound any different)

The only connection besides just speaker wire that may change the sound of these speakers is to utilise the low level/LFE connection, but that is something completely different.

Just leave the jumpers in place and simply use speaker wire from the Fronts terminal on your receiver only.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
You can bi-amp these speakers, "THE GOLD JUMPERS WOULD HAVE TO BE REMOVED!"

BUT.... this would be what is known as "passive bi-amping" meaning that you are still using the speakers internal crossover and when using the same amp to accomplish this it will not change your sound at all. (The only time passive bi-amping "may" give you a different sound is when using two completely separate amplifiers that have different sound signatures, and it still may not sound any different)

The only connection besides just speaker wire that may change the sound of these speakers is to utilise the low level/LFE connection, but that is something completely different.

Just leave the jumpers in place and simply use speaker wire from the Fronts terminal on your receiver only.

No, the manual clearly states Bi-WIRE, and makes no mention of bi-amping. The speaker would be bi-amped due to the subwoofer section having its own amp, plus the channel of the receiver going in to the back.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
What is the goal?

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
No, the manual clearly states Bi-WIRE, and makes no mention of bi-amping. The speaker would be bi-amped due to the subwoofer section having its own amp, plus the channel of the receiver going in to the back.
No offense but your first post is inherently wrong also, by bi-amping speakers you're not sending twice as much current to them, amps don't push power, speakers draw power, the only way to draw too much power to a speaker with too large of an amp is to ask the speaker to go beyond it's design limits.

As far as bi-amping these or any speaker, if it's designed to be Bi-Wired, it can be Bi-Amped, as long as you take the necessary precautions, in the case of these it's removing the jumpers.

These speakers have in essence many connection options:
- Speaker Wire Only (most advised) with all the jumpers in place.
- Speaker Wire + Low Level full range input to the RCA connection.
- Speaker Wire + LFE to the RCA connection.
or
- You can pull the jumpers and Bi-Amp or Bi Wire them.
- And repeat either of the RCA connections mentioned above.

The only difference between using the Mid/Low speaker level connection is that the signal is split between the Mids and the Sub amp, the Subs internal amp is then working off of a higher level signal to operate the Sub, using the RCA connection simply sends the more preferred low level power into the Sub amp and severs the speaker level connection to the amp with internal switching.

Bi-amping or Bi-wiring, still won't achieve anything sonically since your still using the speakers internal crossover, but it certainly can be done of the individual wants to.

The only way to truly get the full benefits of bi-amping is with the use of active or separate crossovers for each driver section.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own both BP7000SC (fronts) & BP7001SC (surrounds).

At one point, I did tri-amp them. :)

That was when I thought passive bi-amp & tri-amp actually improved SQ. But I was wrong. It improved nothing. It was utter waste of time and amps.

IMO, for most AVR, the best hookup is a single wire to the speaker.

For guys with Denon/Marantz AVR w/ Dynamic EQ, I would do Single wire + LFE.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I'd just like to apologize to the OP. I didn't expect for this to turn in to a flame war!

Assuming safe volume levels are maintained, you can plug in as many amps you'd like. Your instruction manual gives specific direction for bi-wiring, to ensure that their product is always provided safe amounts of power. You DO run the risk, by plugging in multiple amps, that you can over power your speakers. Which is why Klipsch protected themselves by only giving instruction for bi-wiring.

Hope this provides you the help you were looking for, and that you keep coming back to share in the community!

M

Mikek

Enthusiast
Ok. Thanks to all. I was really confused how the schematic showed on the AVR splitting a channel into 2 speakers each. Never saw that before. I was going back and forth with a friend who is a 2 channel audiophilest and wasn't making sense with the schematic I had. I'm not going to bi amp I was just making sure what I was saying made sense didn't understand the or ever see that kind of diagram. I always thought mono block way was a bi amp terminology but the schematic showed something strange

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Believe it or not, we are here to help! Stick around!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis