I'm building a 2way speaker project...but.....

T

taatoo

Audiophyte
hi, i'm a newbie, i'm trying to build a 2-way speaker project. i decide to use VIFA's XT25 as 1" tweeter, but i don't know what's that mid-low speaker. It is 5". what' about VIFA's P13WH-00-08? ANY suggestion?? THANK YOU!!!

PS: i've seen this below:
"Respondents who've heard XT25 and measured it tell me its distortion numbers could be lower and that it likes a high crossover frequency, more suited to a 3-way than a 2-way design"
is that true??

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
taatoo said:
hi, i'm a newbie, i'm trying to build a 2-way speaker project. i decide to use VIFA's XT25 as 1" tweeter, but i don't know what's that mid-low speaker. It is 5". what' about VIFA's P13WH-00-08? ANY suggestion?? THANK YOU!!!

"Respondents who've heard XT25 and measured it tell me its distortion numbers could be lower and that it likes a high crossover frequency, more suited to a 3-way than a 2-way design"
is that true??
Hi taatoo

In speaker building, I'm pretty much a newbie too. Most newbies, including myself at one time, mistakenly think that they ought to come up with their own design for a DIY speaker. You may be a lot happier with your first efforts if you build a design that has already been tested and trouble-shot by someone more experienced.

I found reading articles at this web site were helpful for me:
http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/default.htm. There are several projects listed there that have already been through the design and trial-and-error trouble shooting process. There a many other websites that offer other tested recipes for 2-way DIY speakers. I could name a few if you are interested.

I also found this article (Finding the Optimum Crossover Frequency) to be especially helpful: http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Articles/xover article/xpointmain.htm. It demonstrates a design process where you first choose a woofer and cabinet type/size, then choose a crossover frequency, and after that, choose a tweeter.

The Vifa XT25 tweeter you mention is widely considered to be excellent. Polk builds some 2-ways (the LSi series) with this tweeter that are very good. Because the XT25 has a 4 ohm impedance, you should aim to use a woofer that has a similar impedance. The P13WH-00-08 has an 8 ohm impedance. You will run into difficulties with crossover design and performance that are easily avoided by keeping driver impedances similar.

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
taatoo said:

is that true??
Have you been over to talk with the guys at Madisound forum yet. They are superb. You might even find the measurements you're looking for. A couple guys seem to do that sort of thing on a regular basis.

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/discuss.cgi

-Bruce :D

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
I too am a newbie and just completed a design for a 2-way speaker using the XT19 and a Peerless CXS series mid-range. I'm very happy with the results. You may want to check out the XT19 and save a couple bucks, because in my research, it's performance was very similar to the 25s and may actually hav ea better off-axis response.

I'll be posting the specifications from my project soon.

T

taatoo

Audiophyte
thanks all.
i've finished my soundbox this weekend.
my soundbox only got 5" cavity. so i have to choose 5" speaker. i use a 3.9 ohm resistor in series connection with xt25 to match that p13wh. the crossover i design is very easy 12db one without correctional parts, but i used double MIT caps. one crossover only have 2 caps 2 inductances and 1 resistor. I find they sounds very good. but i wonder is that better to add resistance correctional parts to my crossover. i don't have much money left now, haha.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
taatoo said:
plus, my crossover frequency is 2.9khz
At a 2.9kHz crossover the Vifa P13 WH that you mentioned seems like it would work. It costs $41 each at Parts Express.

You migh also consider the Peerless 850108, somewhat less expensive at $33 each. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=297-630&DID=7 . I've used the next larger (6.5") speaker from the same CSX line from Peerless in a 2-way and am very pleased with it's sound.

T

taatoo

Audiophyte
Xt25

Nominal impedance [ohm] 4
Voice coil resistance [ohm] 3.0
Nominal power [W] 140
Short term max power [W] 950
Long term max power [W] 400
Operating power [W] 5.3
Sensitivity [dB] 91.5
Frequency range [kHz] 1.5-40