If you could buy Monster cables...

B

BUDdHOLLY

Audiophyte
for 60% off would you buy them, or still go with something different?

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
BUDdHOLLY said:
not after that USA Today article. those guys are either totally evil or in mass denial,take your pick...

M

MAX661

Audioholic
I would becauce they are excellent cables at that price point! that is what I pay for mine.

W

woodman

Enthusiast
No, I would not buy Monster products at any price. I don't view that company and its founder as the type of business people that I would want to receive any of my cash. I think that their business model is immoral, gross, and disgusting to put it rather bluntly!

Such business tactics were commonly used in the music promotion biz many years ago, until it was outlawed. It was called "payola" and deemed to be an unacceptable way of doing business. Now, here it is again - another "sheep in wool's clothing" come back to haunt us yet again. If the public only knew just where all of their dollars actually go when they purchase Monster products, they would probably avoid buying them in the first place.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Considering the markup is well over 100%, you can probably still do better. Read here for more info.

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
BUDdHOLLY said:

Monster. NO WAY! Overpriced regular wire at any price. Plus they are beginning to think their name gives them the right to behave liike one. -Bruce :mad:

Peppy

Peppy

Junior Audioholic
I hate Monster cable mostly because they are way too much over price,over rate and never inspire trust. I bought only 2 cables from them, 2 X 25 ft sub cables at $20 each. What about that USA Today acticles ? can I read it some were ? Just what to validate my bad feeling about them .

Thanks

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Repeat after me,

Blue Jeans Cable
Blue Jeans Cable
Blue Jeans Cable

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
No.

Now, if someone GAVE them to me, then that's another story. I would hope he didn't pay for them, though.

Peppy

Peppy

Junior Audioholic
For me , it's have been "Acoustic Research" for my video\audio cable. Good price and good quality cable. Too bad there are harder to find around here(Kingston,Ont, Canada) For speaker cable, banana plug ; I go and send ever one who ask me to "Solen" from St-Hubert (south to Montreal) There again good quality, excellent price and very good services.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
The USA Today article is in the "Steam Vent" forum...................

I certainly wouldn't buy any speaker wire bearing their name & only interconnects if I had absolutely no other choice...............hasn't been an issue so far.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
markw said:
Now, if someone GAVE them to me, then that's another story. I would hope he didn't pay for them, though.

Now if someone payed me to take it, I might consider it for a split second :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I always use Monster for raw cable runs as they have a superior product to a lot of the competition and consistent quality from batch to batch.

For interconnects I'm all about custom making cables, though I do have a box full of Monster Cable. Working in custom home installations, customers with crazy $$$ would install all new top of the line Monster Cable (not sold by me) and the old cables were to be removed by the installing company (me). So, I have a lot of very good Monster Cable that I won't be using for much of anything I imagine. Well, maybe I will use them - they are good cables, especially at the price I paid.

NEW at 60% off? Still a rip off. I would love to see a review of some really (REALLY) cheap RCA cables that you see in Wal-Mart and Target and Radio Shack. The $2.00 or $5.00 ones. That would be interesting to compare to all the compeitition.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
BMXTRIX said:
I always use Monster for raw cable runs as they have a superior product to a lot of the competition and consistent quality from batch to batch.

For interconnects I'm all about custom making cables, though I do have a box full of Monster Cable. Working in custom home installations, customers with crazy $$$ would install all new top of the line Monster Cable (not sold by me) and the old cables were to be removed by the installing company (me). So, I have a lot of very good Monster Cable that I won't be using for much of anything I imagine. Well, maybe I will use them - they are good cables, especially at the price I paid.

NEW at 60% off? Still a rip off. I would love to see a review of some really (REALLY) cheap RCA cables that you see in Wal-Mart and Target and Radio Shack. The $2.00 or $5.00 ones. That would be interesting to compare to all the compeitition.

Here are a couple of cable tests with blister packs:

http://www.pcavtech.com/abx/abx_wire.htm

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
Never will I spend another dime on a Monster product. I would pay more. Actually you can do much better per dollar elsewhere anyway. Their business practices stink.

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Now if someone payed me to take it, I might consider it for a split second :D
Maybe you could use them for tie downs or something...... :rolleyes:

inmypjs

inmypjs

Junior Audioholic
Monster cable at 60% off?! The only reason people dislike Monster cable is that they charge too much for their cables (just like boutique cables...well maybe they consider themselves one of those). But I'd rather have the Monster cable for 60% off than a RadioShack wire for the same price.

Last edited:
S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
OK guys... time for you to admonish a newbie. I recently decided to build a home entertainment system in my home office (15" x 19"). I have a 73" Mitsubishi Diamond Scan in there so I decided to mate it with set of Definitive Technology 7001 SCs, 3000 C/L/R and BPXVs, a B&K 507 HS2 receiver, Sony DVP NS-999ES DVD/SACD, Yamaha DV SL100 DVD (for PAL DVDs) and a Monster HTS 5100 Power Center.

On the other side of the room I have my desk setup which is a Dell XPS Generation 4, Sharp LC26GD6U 26" LCD, Panasonic DVD S97S w/ HDMI, Xbox w/ Xenium Ice, PS2 w/Matrix Infinity, Monster HTS 2000 MKII and Klipsch Promedia 5.1 speakers.

I have the HDTV cable and video game signals running to both TVs via 2 Zektor HDS4.2 switches.

Anyway, after buying all of this equipment I realized I needed all new cables. The speaker cables for the Definitive's were chosen by the consultant at the store at which I bought the speakers. They were expensive, but I heard them in use at the store... they sounded great and looked like they were extremely well made.

When it came to the massive number of cables I needed to hook up all of my components I decided to do a bit of internet shopping. For the 40" component video and coax audio runs across the room I bought the highest grade cables from Impact Acoustics. So far so good...

Now I had to buy the rest of my cables... this is where I sinned. I decided to buy mostly Monster M series cables and a few Z series. My total bill (not including the speaker and Sonicwave cables) was approximatley $3,500. So far everything looks crystal clear. The B&K is not in yet so Im not sure about the acoustic end of things.

I have to admit, I was not aware of the article on Monster's businesses practices. I was aware that Monster products were extremely overpriced, however I was always under the belief that their high end cables were solid products. In restrospect, I might have gone with other brands, but given that what is done is done, did I really buy sub-par products when I bought the M line of Monster cables?

Last edited:
M

MAX661

Audioholic
Monster products are not sub-par at all, they are just very over-priced and the company is shall we say "cutthroat". These are the reasons why people around here tend to stay away from them.

For $3500 you over-paid quit a bit, but dont feel as if your cables are sub-par, because they are far from that.

If everything looks and sounds good to you, then I suggest you forget about the money you spend, because there is nothing you can do about it now and just enjoy your system. Sounds like an awesome setup.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Max.... thanks for the reply. I do feel a bit stupid for paying so much, but as long as they are high quality cables, I'm not going to regret it. When I build the AV system for my living room I'll be sure to do a bit more research on the cables.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis