if cost were no object!

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
i know we all dream or window shop for the gear we would love to own but common sense & or a lack of fundage prevent's buying it,im curious if cost were not a factor what gear would you pick for the all out no hold's barred performance rig.

if possible please list rough price's for each component:)

hifiman

hifiman

Audioholic
I don't know the model number, but Martin Logan makes these top of the line speakers that are incrediblely huge. This pair of speakers comes in a total of 4 cabinets, two for the electrostatic transducer, and two for the woofers. I think they sell for around $80,000 grand a pair. I would need to have three pairs for a six-channel HT, plus a room big enough to house them. Then I want all of the other equipment in a large closet hidden out of sight. And just for giggles I want to take a trip down to CC and buy the cheapest Sony or JVC A/V receiver to bring home and prominently display in my new home theater. It wouldn't be hooked up to anything, but I'd have it included on a macro for the remote so it would turn on with the rest of the system and give the illusion I'm using this to drive my ultra expensive speakers. Since no one I know has any idea about A/V gear I can just picture them being impressed by the sound of the $200 receiver and rushing out to get one. :)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
2 sets of 7 speakers:
set one ... B&W Nautilus (the conk shell looking speakers) USD 22500 each
set two ... Most Expensive Electrostatic of Martin Logan

2 of each of these:
Velodyne DD-18 (USD 4000)
Axiom EP 600 (USD less than 2000)
SVS PB Ulta/2 (USD less than 2000)
Velodyne SMS-1 for each (USD 750)

power for these 2 sets:
7 digital amp monoblocks from Rotel (RB1091) 1500USD each I think
and
RB1090 x 4 2000USD each

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
This isn't crazy by any means, but is what I would be satisfied with for years(prices may not be right).

Fronts - Energy Veritas V2.4i's $5500 CAD
Center - Energy Veritas V2.0Ci $2000 CAD
Rears (all 4) - Energy Veritas V2.0Ri $2000 CAD PR.
Subwoofers (all 4) - Velodyne DD-15 $~3500US EACH
Receiver - Yamaha RVX 2600 1500 CAD
Amps - Rotel RMB 1095, Rotel RB 1092 $N/A
DVD player - Deno 5910 $4500 CAD
Display - Mitsubishi WD-73827 73" 1080p DLP TV $N/A
RealTraps - Mondo Room Kit $2299 US

BlueJeans Cables - ~$200, maybe more.

Something like that..

SheepStar

Last edited:
Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
It doesn't matter, because everything will sound great in my 22,000 square foot Mansion

even then probably 7 RBH T3's & 2 Velodyne Signature 1812's for a HT, a stereo pair of VPMS-3 supertowers, and a new iPod.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I'd have multiple dedicated 2-ch rooms for different types of speakers, as well as a dedicated multi-channel music room and a dedicated HT. Two channel rigs would use all Boulder 2000 Series electronics with Bryston power conditioning. Digital Sources would be a Wadia transport with 27x D/A converter and a Boulder 2020 D/A converter. Hi-Rez source would be Denon 5910 (or something better if I could find it). Vinyl Source would be a Rockport Technologies Sirius System III, paired with a Boulder 2008 Phono Preamp. Speakers would be flagships from the following companies:

German Physiks
Magnepan
Martin Logan
Wisdom Audio
B&W
Linkwitz Labs
McIntosh
Vandersteen
Wilson
JM Lab

The multi-channel music room would include a set of my favorite speakers from the above list. Amplification would be by Boulder. Processing would be provided by TacT. Subwoofering will not be necessary as each speaker will be full range.

The dedicated HT would use custom-made speakers using the Klipsch RF-7 tweeter and Seas mid-bass drivers. Electronics will be a full compliment of Halcro Logic components. Subwoofering would be multiple DD1812 Signature subwoofers, as well as a custom dual infinite baffle subwoofer using at least two 15-driver sets of Peerless XS 12" drivers. The IB sub array would be powered by a rackfull of QSC amps. The projector would be the finest 1080p model I could find (probably the new Sony). The screen would have adjustable masking to allow for different screen ratios depending on the movie. Video processing would be accomplished by a standalone video processor (not sure which brand is best as of now).

Lastly, all furniture would be chosen to match the decor, and, in the case of the movie room, would be the best theater seating money could buy. All theater seats will also feature a pair of heavy-duty bass shakers each.

WHEW! That's quite a load of money.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
well here goes my dream rig.

speakers would be 2 pair of the 'gryphon poseidon tower's at $225,000 a pair.
http://www.gryphon-audio.dk/content/product.asp?ProductID=27

amp's would surely be 2 pair of tube research gtr 800 monoblocks at $160,000a pair.
http://www.higherfi.com/tube_research_gt800.jpg

cd player would be the goldmund reference at a measly $90,000.
http://www.goldmund.com/products/eidosreference/

preamp would have to be the new mcintosh tube/solid state preamp at $30,000.
http://photobucket.com/albums/d91/highfihoney/?action=view&current=IMG_0291.jpg

even though i dont use vinyl since were spending monopoly cash the turn table would be a goldmund vaccume reference,priceless:D
http://www.higherfi.com/goldvacs.jpg

kia303

kia303

Junior Audioholic
Well if money were no object, actually this would be attainable if I did not have three little girls, I would get this for around $70k.

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/corvette_pace_car.asp

Hey, it does have a BOSE sound system for music!

The pace car this year will actually have more horsepower(505) than the cars running at Daytona(450 due to restrictor plates). 0-60 in 3.7 seconds and 198MPH top speed, that should put a smile on almost any audio enthusiasts face.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
just two items for me:

a 60 to 70 inch RPTV that actually inputs a 1080P signal
a single BlueRay/HD-DVD player that mates up to the above...

throw all the money at Sony and Toshiba and tell them to get their act together....

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Krell makes a complete set of speakers, amps, and subs, their most ultra high end. I would get a pair of those for my stereo setup. Then get another 8 pairs for my home theater setup.

Genesis makes some amazing speakers. I would get a pair of their flagship, and get a couple of Accuphase flagship SACD players, preamps, monoblocks, power conditioners for that stereo setup.

Then I'll have a stereo setup consisting of some flagship flat panel speakers, paired with some Mark Levinson electronics.

I'm not as much into the video aspect, so I'll stop there.;)

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
If money were no object I would probably go with the following:

DIY speakers using Seas Excel drivers in well designed/built boxes with cherry veneer and a high gloss finish. I estimate the price to be around $5,000 including all materials. This one will hopefully become a reality some day.

Subwoofers would be DIY as well. I would probably build 2-4 large subs using Ascendant Audio Alliance 18" drivers and sufficient pro amps. Cost: $1,000 - 2,000

Amplification would be provided by pro amps. Even with with no budget constraints I wouldn't splurge on "HT" amps that cost many times more. Carvin, Behringer, and Crown would be candidates. Cost: $600 - $1,500

Cables would be DIY using RG-6 except for the HDMI cables which would DVI-Gear or BlueJeans.

I would get the best pre/pro I could find. I have no idea what that would be because I have never researched any other than the Outlaw models. I can't see myself spending more than $4,000 on one.

A three-chip DLP projector shining on a Stewart screen would be my display choice. The cost? Probably around $20,000. If, by chance, large scale OLED displays (100+ inches) become available that would be the ultimate display.

I would build an HTPC with as much storage as I could fit into the CoolerMaster Stacker case. I would store every type of media on it and use it as a server for a whole-house media system. Iwould keep the PC in a seperate room along with most of the equpment and have a DVD drive accesible in the HT room. It would cost $3,000+

Room treatments would also be DIY (see a trend here?) and the room itself would be constructed as perfectly as possible for home theater.

The rest of the house would have strategically spaced in-wall/ceiling and bookshelf speakers and multiple subwoofers for distributed media as well as PC's/control modules for many zones. I would have several "secondary" systems in bedrooms and family rooms.

I would have a fully furnished wood shop with a top notch sound system and all the luxuries for building all of this stuff.

I hope, some day, to make at least some of this stuff become a reality.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis