If a tree falls in a forest, will I see a difference on my projector?

B

Ben325e

Audiophyte
So I am playing the part of poor college student right now, and I picked up an Epson projector from a buddy for $250. Right now I am running just a standard video cable to the projector from my DVD player, and the picture quality is ok.... definitely not great. It's an Epson Powerlite S1+ with a resolution of 800 x 600. There are 3 different video inputs: standard video, S-video, and component video hookups. I called a couple of etailers for a component video cable, and they are going to run me at least 80 bucks, because I have to have a breakout cable (basically, the component input is in the form of a 21 pin monitor input, but a breakout cable goes from 21pin connector to Y/Pb/Pr)
My question is, will I notice a difference going from standard video to S-Video or component video? Or is my systems major limiting factor going to be the resolution on my projector?

Thanks for your help!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
One thing you could try.

Remember, this is not a high resolution, high brightness system to begin with. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear no matter how much money you throw at it.

S-video cables are not expensive and the quality is close to that of component, particularly in this case.

You could try one and see how it works. You should see a fairly noticible improvement. If you don't then I wouldn't even think of going the component route.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Component with DVD and a progressive scan player should give you a fair improvement in quality.

Go to eBay and search this: 15 pin to component cable

The first hit I got was this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64631&item=5744539675&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Which will serve you absolutely fine (I looked up your projector) for component video.

Please check the number of hours on the bulb and you may wish to purchase the DVE or Avia calibrating DVDs for your unit to really get the most out of it. If the bulb has a lot of hours on it, then it may be dimming which definitely starts making video look like crap. You got a great deal, but a new bulb may cost you as much as the projector... Is it worth it? Absolutely! My projector started looking very, very poor for the last 100 hours or so of bulb life, the new bulb made me remember how stunning the projector looked the first day I installed it. A new bulb is like getting a brand new projector.

Also, if you are just viewing on a white wall, then consider getting at least an inexpensive screen off of eBay which will show you a little improvement over the wall.

Lots that you can do to improve image quality with that little thing so make the most of it. Definitely keep in mind that it is designed as a business projector with lower than average contrast and a little better brightness than most home theater projectors. At the price it runs, it is very likely that the on board processing for video is just a few beers short of a six pack as far as quality goes. But, as said, you got a great price.

B

Ben325e

Audiophyte
thanks alot guys. I am definitely interested in a new screen, and that will come in the next 2 months, so thanks for the tip BMX. I checked out projector central, and to my surprise a replacement bulb is only $175 (the saving grace of my mediocre projector....)
I'll keep an eye out on ebay, and let everyone know how things turn out for me.....

Thanks!

ben

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis