Ideal placement for a 5.1.2

J

Joey641

Audiophyte
Hello, this is my first post and I am trying to set up my first dedicated theater room. I will only have one recliner since my girlfriend has another tv in the living room with a sofa for both to watch.

This is the floor plan (pictures attached) for my spare bedroom and wondering if this is the most ideal placement for it. Room measures 12ft11in X 11ft11in, there are two windows behind the tv where I will have thick curtains. Should the three front speakers be farther from the front wall even if the recliner would end up closer to the back wall?

I guided myself from the recommended placement from the dolby website but it doesn't specify the ideal distance from walls.

System:
Pair of JBL 530 for LR ( JBL sale $300)
5 JBL 520c for Center, 2 Surrounds and 2 top Atmos ( JBL sale $100 each)
Monoprice Monolith THX 12" Sub
Dennon AVR-X3500H ( On Sale for $450)

Attachments

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Good call on the thick curtains, glass is not at all friendly to sound reproduction!

Every room is different. But it makes it alot easier when you only need to satisfy one pair of ears. I think your proposed placement looks good, but you'll want to spend some time listening.

Start with the Front L,C,R - adjusting distance to wall boundaries so that the speakers are as close to 'disappearing' in to the room as possible. (with music, you can adjust your receiver between stereo 2 channel and surround sound so that the center can be used. Generally, try to keep tweeters close to ear height)

Don't move the Front L,C,R further in to the room than need be. Start with your proposal, and try to find the seat location that sounds most enveloping.

After the Front 3, try your subwoofer in multiple locations. At bass frequencies, the room dictates what you can hear, and literally, when you can hear it. You will want to play around with that subs placement to determine where it sounds the best, at your seat.

With your listening location well defined, then add your surround speakers. Share some pics, and Enjoy!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Looks to me like the placements you selected will be good. The hard one will be the sub since your room is basically a square, and the chair looks like it will be close to the middle. Try the subwoofer crawl and spend a little time with it. Should be good.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis