I would love Atmos advice: To do or not to do

J

JimAShaw

Enthusiast
Because of my home situation, my sound system consists of ALL in-ceiling speakers (SpeakerCraft AIM8 Fives) for a 7.3 system.

I just got off the line with SpeakerCraft and was told that I could add two wide dispersing speakers in the ceiling that would really work well as Atmos speakers.

Before I spend a ton of money for good speakers, do you think there would be any noticible difference in sound addition by adding Atmos speakers in the ceiling when ALL the other speakers are also in-ceiling?

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I don't have a scientific answer, but I would say "no" ATMOS creates a vertical plane difference (i.e. sound coming from different heights) so if all you speakers are already in the ceiling and pointed down, then I don't think you would get any of the benefits.

my $0.02

J

JimAShaw

Enthusiast
I don't have a scientific answer, but I would say "no" ATMOS creates a vertical plane difference (i.e. sound coming from different heights) so if all you speakers are already in the ceiling and pointed down, then I don't think you would get any of the benefits.

my $0.02

That has been my thought also. I was excited when SpeakerCraft said it would help but for some reason I didn't trust their answer to me.

That is why I started this thread.

Thanks for your input.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
That has been my thought also. I was excited when SpeakerCraft said it would help but for some reason I didn't trust their answer to me.

That is why I started this thread.

Thanks for your input.
They're just trying to help solve your problem, not educate you. I have all speakercraft speakers in my theater and they are great, but mine are in wall with the exception of the atmos speakers.

I can tell you one thing. If you decided to go atmos with your all ceiling speakers, it would sound different than it does now. Not necessarily better.

I have a 5.1 setup of their ceiling speakers in my living room too so I know how you feel. It's good, but my theater is better.

J

JimAShaw

Enthusiast
They're just trying to help solve your problem, not educate you. I have all speakercraft speakers in my theater and they are great, but mine are in wall with the exception of the atmos speakers.

I can tell you one thing. If you decided to go atmos with your all ceiling speakers, it would sound different than it does now. Not necessarily better.

I have a 5.1 setup of their ceiling speakers in my living room too so I know how you feel. It's good, but my theater is better.

I am tempted to try it. I already have two holes in the ceiling where they will go (a few years ago I tried passive in-ceiling subs in those two spots--bad, very bad). My receiver will play Atmos. All I would have to do is buy the speakers, give it a try and if it didn't work, return the speakers.

Then I'll be satisfied by knowing for sure.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would say no. As said, it’ll sound different, but not necessarily better, and definitely NOT sound like an atmos soundtrack.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I am tempted to try it. I already have two holes in the ceiling where they will go (a few years ago I tried passive in-ceiling subs in those two spots--bad, very bad). My receiver will play Atmos. All I would have to do is buy the speakers, give it a try and if it didn't work, return the speakers.

Then I'll be satisfied by knowing for sure.
Just make sure any speakers you buy can be returned in a 30 day window. Then you can really make sure it's what you want.

I'm willing to be the results won't sway you into keeping them. The Atmos effects would be practically unnoticeable

J

JimAShaw

Enthusiast
I just got back from Best Buy and explained what I was thinking and Yes, I will have 30 days to return the two speakers.

They are SpeakerCraft AIM8 Fives Series 2. Retails for around $700 each.

Starting to get a lot of feedback stating it really won't work.

Now I am questioning what I am considering and probably won't be even worth the time spent testing it.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm thinking if all of your speakers are in ceiling adding atmos speakers would just mean more noise from the ceiling.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It is situations like this that prompted Audioholics' misgivings about Atmos in the first place. Dolby Atmos is not simply additional channels. It is a sound mix scheme that can create discreet channels of sound based on the assumption that your speakers are correctly located. It does nothing for a system where the speakers are not positioned correctly. This is one of the reasons why I link to the Atmos Home Installation Guide as much as I do. Atmos is attempting to create a certain kind of sound field. For a system where all the speakers are in the ceiling, that sound field can not exist. Adding Atmos speakers to a system like that will do nothing to improve the sound of that system.

The guys at speakercraft were jerking your chain, they will say whatever it takes to make a sale. If you want to make your system sound better, use speakers that are level with your ears. That will make your sound system a thousand times better than adding Atmos speakers.

Last edited:
J

JimAShaw

Enthusiast
It is situations like this that prompted Audioholics' misgivings about Atmos in the first place. Dolby Atmos is not simply additional channels. It is a sound mix scheme that can create discreet channels of sound based on the assumption that your speakers are correctly located. It does nothing for a system where the speakers are not positioned correctly. This is one of the reasons why I link to the Atmos Home Installation Guide as much as I do. Atmos is attempting to create a certain kind of sound field. For a system where all the speakers are in the ceiling, that sound field can not exist. Adding Atmos speakers to a system like that will do nothing to improve the sound of that system.

The guys at speakercraft were jerking your chain, they will say whatever it takes to make a sale. If you want to make your system sound better, use speakers that are level with your ears. That will make your sound system a thousand times better than adding Atmos speakers.

ShadyJ

I really thank you for your input.

Yes, I realize having the main speakers at ear level is the perfect placement but in my case they have to be in-ceiling.

And because of that, it looks like what I have going is as good as it's going to get.

My system consists of five in-ceiling SpeakerCraft AIM8 Fives and two in-ceiling SpeakerCraft Time5's used as Wides...
(SpeakerCraft Time5)

On the ground I have two HSU 10" midwoofers (to help fill in the thinness of in-ceilings) and one SVS 13-Ultra sub.

It does sound good but as I become more of an Audioholic, I am trying to see if there can be an improvement without changing out the in-ceilings.

From the Feedback of members, it looks like Atmos is something not worth trying in my case and I am starting to agree 100%.

I thank you all for your input

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Because of my home situation, my sound system consists of ALL in-ceiling speakers (SpeakerCraft AIM8 Fives) for a 7.3 system.

I just got off the line with SpeakerCraft and was told that I could add two wide dispersing speakers in the ceiling that would really work well as Atmos speakers.

Before I spend a ton of money for good speakers, do you think there would be any noticible difference in sound addition by adding Atmos speakers in the ceiling when ALL the other speakers are also in-ceiling?

Atmos 100% will not work with in ceiling bed channels. If you can’t put at least a 5.1 system on the floor, then you can’t do atmos. Why can’t you use regular speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
You cannot have both speaker-level speakers and height-level speakers in the ceiling. It won't give you an accurate Atmos effect.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Most movies being made these days are crap, the ones even remotely worth watching won't be improved by atmos. Rather than waste time & $$$ I'd concentrate on the front soundstage and good subwoofers. But hey if someone is super rich with a home in which to experiment go for it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I just got back from Best Buy and explained what I was thinking and Yes, I will have 30 days to return the two speakers.

They are SpeakerCraft AIM8 Fives Series 2. Retails for around $900 each.

Starting to get a lot of feedback stating it really won't work.

Now I am questioning what I am considering and probably won't be even worth the time spent testing it.

I'll be getting some of those to finish up my Atmos install. I'm using on-wall speakers for now.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic

Here’s the link I like...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis