I want new bookshelves, but I don't need them. UGH!

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hey all,

Hope everyone has been doing well during this past less than delightful year.

Bring cooped up had its benefits for various hobbies though I suppose, such as audio listening for pleasure and not just background noise. I spend a lot of time at my desk on my PC workstation and generally like to have music playing while I read or write or do various work.

I think I want to get some new bookshelf speakers, strictly for music. I currently really enjoy my Polk Monitor 30's & 40's in near field on an Emotiva A-100 Mini-X 50 watt amp signal from my Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (tube pre-amp output). I don't need new bookshelves. I realize these are entry. But they're checking most of the boxes for me, so I've just not bothered to climb into something more costly over the years and I've had them for about 10 years now. But, I'm always "window shopping" like probably everyone here, curious how something might sound, be better, or whatever we get metaphysical about.

The problem is, I like too many things and it's probably mood based. Sometimes I want a clinical experience; I want to hear the most minute flaw in the recording or detail (such as inhalation before the next words, toe tapping with an instrument, the reverb of the hammers in the pinao, etc). Sometimes I just really enjoy the non-perfect extra sound that comes with the audio from a good recording that gives it a more human feel and is less of a perfect synthetic representation. And then to go to the other pole, sometimes I just want a syrupy gooey soupy warm experience without hearing edgy treble and everything just sounds casually good. It's hard to get that in one pair of speakers, without equalization (which I'm fine with doing!). I usually do not use a subwoofer when I'm listening to most music, so I think I would prefer a pair of bookshelves that are pretty competent for most music without a sub. This is near field listening in my office for context.

Things I'm listening to a lot lately: Queen & Journey's greatest hits, The Cranberries (and her side projects), Donald Fagen, Louise Rogers, Sonata Artica, TimeCop 1983... I know, it's all over the place. Everything is mood based right?

So I'm curious, based on that, does anyone have any recommendations either way? Reading reviews, some are so clinical that it's just measurements and that doesn't really represent the above perfectly. And then there are totally subjective reviews where it's just basically they like it or they don't and compare to things you may not have listened to (which is almost everyone). So it's hard to really nail something down. I guess that's half the fun?

I'm thinking $500 for the pair, give or take.

Things I've been window shopping from reading and from how they look (because that matters too!):

Canton 502's or 526's
KEF Q350's
ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2's or Reference DBR62's
Klipsch RP-160M's or RP-500M's or RP-600M's
PSB Alpha P5's
Monitor Audio Bronze 50's or 100's
Polk Signature S20's
Philharmonic AA+'s
Chane A1.5's

In general, I prefer the look of warm darker woods, like Walnut finishes.

Of course, I cannot audition all these. Sadly.

If I had to just gamble it right now, I'm weirdly drawn to the idea of the Monitor Audio 100's. But I have zero basis for it.

I really should just get off the internet, and listen to what I have. Sigh.

Very best,

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting thanks! I'll have to read up on these. I recall seeing mention of Philharmonica often yet never have seen a pair. So perhaps this is why!

Very best,
Dennis just restarted the company recently, he had closed it for health reasons for a while. He does work for Salk as well. Plus he's an Audioholic.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Phil AA+ isn't going to win the beauty contest, but of the list OP provided... not a single speaker can compete with what the AA+ can do.
According to Dennis, it takes about 20 mins to assemble. Nothing technical required beyond use of a Phillips screwdriver.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Dennis just restarted the company recently, he had closed it for health reasons for a while. He does work for Salk as well. Plus he's an Audioholic.
I want some Salk towers so bad. But, the cost... just can't do it right now. Sigh.

That's great news; I will put a lot of effort into reading more about these. While they are not pretty speakers, frankly, that's less important to me. $350 for a pair that seem to punch way above their weight is quite interesting. And I am a little interesting in a DIY to learn more in the process.

Very best,

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
The Phil AA+ isn't going to win the beauty contest, but of the list OP provided... not a single speaker can compete with what the AA+ can do.
According to Dennis, it takes about 20 mins to assemble. Nothing technical required beyond use of a Phillips screwdriver.
Thanks, very interesting. I admit I like the "look" of the nice walnet cabinets and solid diaphgrams of some of the above speakers, but I'm not a neat finish type so much. I could live with a beater look, no problem, especially if it's output screams.

I'll have to see if my 50 watt amp can push them well enough in near field use. A review I just read mentioned they're not suitable for a desk and are inefficient.

Very best,

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I want some Salk towers so bad. But, the cost... just can't do it right now. Sigh.

That's great news; I will put a lot of effort into reading more about these. While they are not pretty speakers, frankly, that's less important to me. $350 for a pair that seem to punch way above their weight is quite interesting. And I am a little interesting in a DIY to learn more in the process.

Very best,
For the record, I just modded my pair of Dayton AAs from Dennis to upgrade to the Morel Tweeter, all with his blessing and schematic. Being able to get this in a 20-minute kit is unbelievable. And the cost is exemplary.

If you want to see what I went through, buckle up:

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
For the record, I just modded my pair of Dayton AAs from Dennis to upgrade to the Morel Tweeter, all with his blessing and schematic. Being able to get this in a 20-minute kit is unbelievable. And the cost is exemplary.

If you want to see what I went through, buckle up:
Thanks; yea perhaps I'm not up for soldering stuff, so a complete kit that needs simple assembly would be fine.

Very best,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Very best,
Yeah they're not particular beauts, basic black boxes. I've built the BR-1 kit they're based on....and soldered the xover, it worked but wouldn't call it pretty work, definitely need more skills there, so having a built crossover would indeed have been nice but wasn't an option at the time :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks; yea perhaps I'm not up for soldering stuff, so a complete kit that needs simple assembly would be fine.

Very best,
No soldering... this is just what I did. :) He announced the Quick-Kit (including finished XO) long after I started, and released it just as I finished. It is literally an assembly job: screw three different items into the cabinet, along with stuffing some filling into the cabinet, and you are done.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
No soldering... this is just what I did. :) He announced the Quick-Kit (including finished XO) long after I started, and released it just as I finished. It is literally an assembly job: screw three different items into the cabinet, along with stuffing some filling into the cabinet, and you are done.
Thanks, great to know, much more confidence in putting that together instead of building a crossover!

Very best,

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hrm, I'm having a hard time finding a Chane A1.4 vs Philharmonica AA+ comparison to get an idea of their differences. I like the idea of both. Just curious which one is the better performer, regardless of looks, and of course, no way to hear either one before purchase.

My guts are telling me to get the AA+ and build it.
The tweeter and the "look" of the Chane are appealing though.

Very best,

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Combine it with a little assembly work http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html
Why did I read this thread?

To the OP, building speakers is something I had wanted to do for many years. I had built quite a lot of other things, including subwoofer boxes, but never a speaker. I went cheap for my PC rig, but my Overnight Sensations sound MUCH better than a sub $150 kit has any right to sound.

Had I known how easy the AA+ is, I may have spent more. I still might do it just cause I can. Maybe.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
My guts are telling me to get the AA+ and build it.
The tweeter and the "look" of the Chane are appealing though.
Decisions are never easy ... but I would keep those speakers and the Canton Chrono SL-526.2 on a short list

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks, I'll add the model to the Canton above, it's in the right price range.

Very best,
These have the very detailed ceramic tweeter, which I've heard and it's the best I've heard + Bass is great. Look up canton and Kew for his review. You won't be disappointed Hopefully you live in the US to get them at this great steal price. They are on my wish list for sure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis