I need some LCD explinations please?

K

kirtap

Audiophyte
Ok,

This is what's happening......I am a graphics person i always used flat crt screens between 19" and 21". I have never left the resolution of 1280x1024, it is my favorite size to work in. I just recently purchased a Sony SDM HS93 19" LCD and to my amazement the rez ON the box is wrong. The box says native 1280x1024 resolution, when i plug this screen in all my circles in 2D applications are ovals and all my spheres in 3D applications are eggs? I had to return the screen and buy one of the last remaining crt's available. Is there anyone out there that knows why for 9 years 1280x1024 has been correct for me and now all of a sudden i get ovals and eggs? I played with this screen for hours but could not get this to work, i have also been to 3 local stores and on every screen by every manufacturer, i get ovals instead of circles. Am i the only one that noticed this? Please anyone, I DO NOT want a 19" CRT ANYMORE!!!!

Thank You

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
My apple 17" LCD 1280x1024 is dead on square/round, driven by Nvidia GeForce MX 2 TwinView via ADC (DVI).

Are you driving these displays digitally or analog-ally?

H

House de Kris

Enthusiast
If your displayed circles look like tall ovals on the new LCD, all this means is that you've had your CRTs adjusted wrong for the last nine years. This implies that all the data you've generated for nearly a decade is wrong.

Just guessing here, but it sounds like you've adjusted your CRT displays to have a 4:3 aspect ratio with the 1280x1024 resolution. If you did, then you ended up with rectangular pixels, while the computer always likes to work with square pixels.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
I'd wager he hasn't really forced his 1280x1024 to 4:3 apect ratio. Most people just call it 4:3 because it's not 16:9, 16:10 or some other wide-screen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis