T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
Im new to Home theater; I need help in narrowing down a few choices for 3 speakers (Left, Right, Center); I have 2 surrounds already nothing great

Im not sure what to audition to or buy and theres not many stores if any around here, i think the closest is a Best buy magnolia with B&W and other brand like that

I want to spend between 5,000 and up to 12,000 for 3 front speakers, 90% the sound that comes will be from netflix / amazon prime and blu ray movies; BTW: the speakers need to look COOL (wife approved )

T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
hopefully someone can give me several choices to pick from

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
trEs2b,
Welcome to the forum.

With that healthy of a speaker budget you have lots of options.
- Plan to spend a healthy portion of your speaker budget on between one to four subwoofers (depending on your answer to question #1 below).
- You may want to consider planning to spenda couple $K less on speakers/subs and use the extra funds on acoustic room treatments.
- BB even with Magnolia has a very limited slice of the available options; and in general, I would not trust the advice of their sales force without independent verification through your own research and/or checking this or other audio forums. I am not saying they are dishonest, I am saying in most cases they are not very well trained/educated about quality audio.

Answering the following questions should help narrow the field of choices.
1) What is the size of the room and how many/where are the seats are you trying to provide a HT experience?
2) What are the room's features (windows, openings/doors, flooring type, cathederal ceiling, etc)
3) Do you/your wife have a preference for bookshelf speakers on stands or tower speakers?
4) Are you comfortable with internet direct (ID) purchases?

- If so, there are many good options in this realm (to name a few in alphabetical order: Ascend Acoustics, HSU, Philharmonic Audio, Salk, SVS, etc.) most with try-at-home return policies that can make auditioning the equipment very affordable.
5) Looks are very subjective, do you mean speakers with high quality wood surfaces or avant garde/modern/European designs, etc?

More to follow later,
XEagleDriver

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
B&W, KEF, RBH, PSB, NHT, Revel, Monitor Audio.

T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
Answering the following questions should help narrow the field of choices.
1) What is the size of the room and how many/where are the seats are you trying to provide a HT experience?
2) What are the room's features (windows, openings/doors, flooring type, cathederal ceiling, etc)
3) Do you/your wife have a preference for bookshelf speakers on stands or tower speakers?
4) Are you comfortable with internet direct (ID) purchases?

- If so, there are many good options in this realm (to name a few in alphabetical order: Ascend Acoustics, HSU, Philharmonic Audio, Salk, SVS, etc.) most with try-at-home return policies that can make auditioning the equipment very affordable.
5) Looks are very subjective, do you mean speakers with high quality wood surfaces or avant garde/modern/European designs, etc?

1. 30'x15'
2. LISTENING ROOM (LIVING ROOM) Wood floor, 2 windows (each 5'x5') door to another room and stairwell
HT ROOM (BASEMENT) 14'x18', carpet floor, access to stairwell , little opening to another room
3. Tower speakers
4. YES
5. Depends

80% of that budget is for 2 floor standing speakers which would also be used a 2 channel setup possibly setting aside a different budget for a HT system. id like to think the 2 floor standing speakers might be used for HT or 2 channel. Ideally i'll have 2 systems eventually

Last edited:
T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
A friend of mine has some FOCALS which I think sound real nice so I may be leaning towards that brand.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
A friend of mine has some FOCALS which I think sound real nice so I may be leaning towards that brand.
Focal makes some very fine speakers.

Take a gander at Salk Sound though. You can get a large assortment of beautiful quality finishes, sky is the limit there basically. Salk's speakers are very well regarded. The only drawback is unless you know someone that has them you won't be able to audition them before you buy.

Just as an example.

http://www.salksound.com/veracity st - images.htm

T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
I'll look into salk but after some research I have it narrowed down to
B&W 804D3
Focal 1028 Be
monitor audio platinum
Revel F208

It's going to be very difficult to audition each and every one and then figure out which one i'll buy.

T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
I would probably consider the CM10 B&W for since that would be a good price

T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
I'll probably end up getting a pair since i can get them at the best buy near me

T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
What do you recommend for house party loud speakers (but high quality )?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
What do you recommend for house party loud speakers (but high quality )?
That depends on budget I suppose. One might argue that Cerwin Vega is a good quality party speaker.

T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
5-12k... Well maybe not DJ house party loud, but loud enough to really shake up the house (not like concert loud)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis