I need help choosing a new sub

M

myriad1973

Audioholic
After 9 years of faithful operation, my Sony SA-WX700 failed. The amp burned out with no replacement available. I thought the sub sounded great, so I'm looking for something similar as far as sound quality.

I've been looking on eBay for a new or used sub for under $500.

The candidates I'm considering are Klipsch models Synergy Sub-12 & Reference RW-12d, SVS PB-1000 & SB-1000, and the Velodyne DEQ-12 & 80EQM12BV.

Typically I prefer smooth transient response like you would in sealed cabinets, but I have concerns that the SB-1000's cabinet being too small to give the kind of bass extension that I would prefer. Out of the bass reflex models, which one would be most similar?
I'm looking for sub-25 Hz, around 200-300 RMS.

I have an Onkyo receiver with Audyssey, so I don't necessarily have to have the eq the Velodynes offer, but if the sq is superior, I would go with either one of those models.

Any input would be helpful at making a decision, as it is hard to make a decision without listening to them first.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hard to judge used market, but for new models I'd recommend hsu-vtf2 or for a minor step up outlaw subs (forgot the model number)

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
If you can swing 600$ there is a huge jump in quality at that price point.

The HSU VTF 2 has long been my favorite at that price point.

M

myriad1973

Audioholic
Okay, now you guys are giving me other options to confuse me more? You're not helping lol

M

myriad1973

Audioholic
Okay, you got me. I just read the cabinet design, and that is very intriguing. You can choose sealed or ported???

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, you got me. I just read the cabinet design, and that is very intriguing. You can choose sealed or ported???
Like Dr. HSU says, with his sub, you don't get just one sub, but five :)
Yes, it can work as ported or sealed or in between, depending on your selection and room interaction.
I'd skip Klipsch subs altogether and be skeptical of velodyne subs published specs and value.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
A few other caveats...

Generally speaking a decent sealed sub for HT in a typical sized living room will run 800-900. They need a larger amp, and usually larger box to fill up the room, and their price reflects that. So, you are correct about the SVS SB 1000. I like that sub for a desktop system, not for HT.

Most ported subs at the 600 mark (including the VTF 2) have a flat transient response down to 20 hz, so there's no real concern there since 99% of all HT material is no lower than 20 hz.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
No, but I've been doing this stuff a while. Via reports, reviews etc I can certainly recommend it. I have heard it too, and it's a fantastic sub.

M

myriad1973

Audioholic
How do you think it would compare with the others and my old sub?

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
I think the VTF 2 is the best choice at the $600 price point on the market today. It will perform better than any other subs we've discussed.

M

myriad1973

Audioholic
I ordered the sub the other day and it'll be here on Tuesday. Assuming my wife doesn't shoot me, I'll let you know how it does. I hope I'm not disappointed. lol

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm about to pull the trigger on VTF-3 MK5 HP myself :cool::)
Just waiting for a "toy" budget to grow a bit

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Bored,
I wouldn't waste time. Just get the VTF15.
Waste time? I honestly fail to see you point.
Almost identical performance to new VTF-15H MK2 for $100 less
VTF-3 MK5 HP is more potent than original VTF15 MK1. New sub comes with 30 days trial. Old one doesn't.

M

myriad1973

Audioholic
I wonder if I jumped the gun a little too soon? That SVS PB-1000 looks quite appealing too.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I had an HSU STF-2 and it was very good. I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it, but those were different times.

M

myriad1973

Audioholic
I just got the sub today. I'm still tweaking it, but so far it seems like a solid sub. I haven't decided if I like it better in sealed or ported mode? Lol Both modes sound good.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I just got the sub today. I'm still tweaking it, but so far it seems like a solid sub. I haven't decided if I like it better in sealed or ported mode? Lol Both modes sound good.
If toiled over my preference of ported and sealed subs for years. The merits of each in a proper design makes for some difficult choices. In the end I chose ported because its the most cost effective. Lucky for you, you can chose whichever you prefer in a given moment.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis