I need help building a portable PA system with good quality for a reasonable price

B

BumblebeeRecycled

Audiophyte
Hi all, I make Giant Robot costumes, and I'm pretty good at it...but I feel our sound quality could use some improvements. In the past I went with anchor audio mini amp (30 watt). This system filled many of my needs. Reasonably loud, very lightweight, not to pricy ( 3.3 pounds with batt, 105db, $150-200). However the sound quality is lacking, and I want louder. Power for me is frequently an 8 pac of AA batt( 12 vt with a low amp output) I have frequently overheated my systems( I used a 10 pac in the past).
Do you guys have any recommendations? I have a brand new amp that puts out 45 watts on 4 channels( planning on 2 speakers)it's exact model is a Lepai (LP-269FS) but I will drop it if I bought poorly. In total, I hope my max weight for the whole system is no more then 5 pounds...I am assuming I will have to use the suits shoulders as the box for each driver. I hope some of you can help, thank you.

K

kenwstr

Audioholic Intern
Tough call. To get a little louder requires quite a lot more output power and a similar increased demand on your power supply. For example, doubling perceived volume requires increasing amp output power 10-fold. So, 100 watts is only twice as loud as 10 watts etc. If you can get the speaker above the crowd, the sound will carry better. Also, Li-ion battery will give you more portable power with less weight and bulk. I think your best solution will be some type of class D powered speaker on a stand because it's just fast & easy to set up and has efficient low power supply requirements for audio output power.

In terms of sound quality, there are basically 2 main issues, the audio source quality and the speakers.

For source, forget lossy MP3, WMA etc play from CDs or ripped WAV, FLAC etc files. It is pretty much always better to use a cable rather than WiFi Bluetooth etc. connection from source to amp or powered speaker. Even if that cable is analogue audio of appropriate length, this is still better. Unbalanced audio cable should not exceed 3m due to the possibility of RF interference. Balance audio cable can be much longer as it cancels interference. If you have the option of digital or analogue cable, the choice comes down to which device has the better DAC. Perhaps you use a mic, get something professional, not a video camera mic and if outdoors use a wind sock or pop filter.

A major issue with speakers is their frequency range. Bass response is largely determined by the speaker enclosure size. Sure, there are tricks like Bass reflex porting but you don’t get something for free, there is always a trade-off. Given that it’s robotics, I assume you are looking for that elusive bass umph. I don’t think you will get that from something you carry around. Look at what the street performers are using to get the frequency response and clarity you want. Obviously, speaker size and portability are competing objectives and this requires a trade-off only you can decide. You can however go with a single speaker enclosure to maximise the bass response and clarity. Sound quality is not cheap but utilising potential can be influenced by the way you implement things like sources and height of speaker. You may be able to pick up something from a runout sale.

While the links below have more than you require in terms of mixing and may in other ways be less than ideal, they may give you some ideas for some options:
https://www.storedj.com.au/alto-kick-15-instrument-pa-amplifier-15-400w-combo
https://mackie.com/products/freeplay

Ken

Last edited:
B

BumblebeeRecycled

Audiophyte
Hi Ken, thank you for the rapid reply. 1) a stand is not an option, I walk around quite a lot in my suits, and having my voice come from 30' away would not help me sell the illusion. I planned on a cable, as I also work in Vegas nightclubs...more interference then you could imagine. The cable length will probably be less then 9" from the source to the amp. One option is to have one shoulder have a tweeter and mid range while the other carrys my base. Unfortunately the items you recommended vastly exceed my available weight allowance.
Can you recommend some drivers with the best available balance between weight and loudness/quality? Also, is the an additional tradeoff anywhere to trade size for weight?

B

BumblebeeRecycled

Audiophyte
Ken, I stand corrected, the IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitors very well might fit in the available weight range, thank you,

K

kenwstr

Audioholic Intern
I don't think I linked those but, I have never heard any of the ones I did link, only searched on the kind of thing I thought might work from what I thought you needed. I have a better understanding now. I suggest try before you buy. Could a not so pure sound, similar concept to autotune to reduce the need for fidelity work for you?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis