I need a good, versitile pair of headphones

Gatsby

Gatsby

Audiophyte
I am largely a speaker user, but I own a pair of Sony MDR-V600's for when I need to use headphones (when my roommate is asleep, going to class, etc). I've been using these pretty much nonstop for 2 years and they're starting to wear out. I only spent about $60 on these but I'm looking to invest a little more in my next pair (but I'd like to keep it under $200). The two pair that I'm considering are the Sennheiser HD590's and the AKG K270 Studios. My friends who use the Senn's praise them frequently, but I've never listened to them or the AKG's. (Not that it is important, but I really like the look of the AKG's). Also, for significantly less (half?), I saw the AKG K240S's. I know that these don't hold a candle to the 590's, but I've read that they are extremely versitile and great for the price. I'm not really sure how to go on this. One thing that is important is that I use a portable music device a lot so it's important that they not require too much power (I think). Thanks for any help.

S

Steve1000

Audioholic
As for the headphones you have listed, my subjective opinion is that you can do much better.

Most find the Sony MDR-V6s ($100?) or MDR-7506 ($100?) (same phone, but pro and consumer models) to be an astronomical improvement over the MDR-V600s. The V6 and 7506 is the industry-standard for monitoring. Many feel them to be quite accurate; there's no funny stuff going on to make them sound pretty.

Note: The Sony V6s and V600s are dramatically different headphones!

Compared to the HD590s, the newer Senn HD 555s ($100?) and HD595s ($200?) are more balanced across the spectrum, IMHO. Still, of the headphones you've listed, the Senn HD590s would by far be the best of the bunch, IMHO. The sound signature on the Senn 555s and 595s is a little gentler and more euphonic than the V6s (less harsh highs, more mid-bass), IMHO. Plus you might find them to be a little more comfortable than the V6s. The V6s are closed and block out some sound; the Senns are "open" and may feel a little more natural.

I have tried the AKG 240S at home for a few days, and all I have to say is Ick. Don't get me started. The AKG 501s ($150?) are pretty nice though, great mids but a little shy of neutral in mid-bass.

Another very good bargain headphone is the Grado SR60. More highs than the Senn 595s and 555s, and an open design. ($70)

Since you liked the closed V600s, I'd suggest trying the closed Sony V6s or 7506s. You may well be thrilled with the improvement. Also they are much more durable. :)

Gatsby said:
I am largely a speaker user, but I own a pair of Sony MDR-V600's for when I need to use headphones (when my roommate is asleep, going to class, etc). I've been using these pretty much nonstop for 2 years and they're starting to wear out. I only spent about $60 on these but I'm looking to invest a little more in my next pair (but I'd like to keep it under $200). The two pair that I'm considering are the Sennheiser HD590's and the AKG K270 Studios. My friends who use the Senn's praise them frequently, but I've never listened to them or the AKG's. (Not that it is important, but I really like the look of the AKG's). Also, for significantly less (half?), I saw the AKG K240S's. I know that these don't hold a candle to the 590's, but I've read that they are extremely versitile and great for the price. I'm not really sure how to go on this. One thing that is important is that I use a portable music device a lot so it's important that they not require too much power (I think). Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Snap

Snap

Audioholic
Sennheiser cans are your best bet! Great headphones, I have 3 pairs! (home, work, travel)

Gatsby

Gatsby

Audiophyte
I went and did some reading up on the Grado cans. I'm pretty interested in them, and might consider giving them a shot. I found the sr60s for the price you mentioned, but I thought that I might look for some higher up on the chain. What do you thnk of the sr125s?

S

Steve1000

Audioholic
My personal opinion is that there is much not much improvement (if any) between the SR60s and the higher grado cans. Keep in mind that Grado is not above snake-oil peddling in terms of cables, amps, etc. The SR125s particularly are known for being a little harsh and uncomfortable. Many prefer the SR60s. The SR60s have more comfortable pads than the higher Grado phones, and I and many other people feel the cone-shaped pads that come with the higher Grado phones result in a less pleasant sound. You can always buy other pads for your higher end Grado phones, but then you might wonder why you didn't just get the SR60s. It is the SR60s that are the great bargain, IMHO.

Many seem to feel that the Allesandro MS-1s (sort of rebranded and slightly tweaked Grados) are a little nicer than the Grados. They're about $100. Get the comfy pads rather than the cone pads if you get the MS-1s.

I personally have the SR60s (among several other headphones). They have a sound that holds its own when compared directly to many other fine headphones.

If you get the SR60s, you might want to take the advice in the manual to bend the headband out a little. If you do so, they can become very comfortable. If not, they're a little tight.

You might think about getting a pair of V6s and a pair of SR60s. The variety can be nice and the differences interesting, and you're still under $200.

Gatsby said:
I went and did some reading up on the Grado cans. I'm pretty interested in them, and might consider giving them a shot. I found the sr60s for the price you mentioned, but I thought that I might look for some higher up on the chain. What do you thnk of the sr125s?

Last edited:
Gatsby

Gatsby

Audiophyte
Thanks, you've been a lot of help. I'll ponder over this a little bit and figure out what I'm going to order. Cheers.

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
I bought the SR60 about 8 weeks ago and I recommend them highly. I use them for long periods of time and find them very natural, comfortable, and non-fatiguing. Since the comfort factor is very personal, buy them from a vendor that allows easy returns in case you don't like the fit. I also use them with my MuVo TX mp3 player, they can get quite loud without any audible distortion; and the bass goes LOW. I compared them side-by-side to the Bose triport set (about $170)... not only the SR60 are less than half the price, they blow the boses away hands down.
I second the opinion of buying two different sets. I'd get a closed set, the Sonys mentioned before, Audio Technica, Sennheiser... especially if you have a sleeping room mate.
Note that the grados are ugly and look geeky (or extremely cool retro, I don't know). I don't mind that fact, but I get comments from people at work (until I let them listen for a few seconds).

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
Steve is giving you some good advice here. I've listened to the SR-60, 80, and 125 and found very little improvement over the spectrum. The 60 is certainly a great value and the way to go in the Grado line.

I had owned the 590s up until about 3 weeks ago. I replaced them with the AKG K501's. The 501s are so much better, its not even funny. The 590s are not a bad headphone, but their highs are somewhat brittle, the upper mids a bit recessed, and the midbass bloated. The K501s are so natural, amazingly detailed, and musical, they're incredible. As a warning though, the K501s will have a drastically different sonic signature from the 600s that you've been using. I've found they work great for classical, jazz, and jazzier rock such as dire straits, steely dan, and even stuff like allman brothers. However, more straightforward and heavier rock tends to be a little bright and not quite dynamic enough.

I've heard the MDR-V6s quite a bit and yes, they are a nice headphone. And yes, they are accurate. Too accurate for my tastes. To me they seem overly analytical, not very musical. Treble is a bit harsh because of the analytical nature (not very smooth at all). For a "monitoring" can in this price range, I give the edge to the Sennheiser HD280 because of it's more laid back and musical presentation.

I have not heard, but from what I've read, the AKG K271S is similar to the K501, but is closed and is bettered suited for rock. This would be an excellent choice.

I've heard many praises for the Senn HD595 and 555. I find the bass too emphasized in the 555 so I'd tell you to go with the 595 if you went that route. Also check out the 580. It seems like different people have different preference when it comes to 595 vs 580.

So if you go Grado, I'd recommend SR-60. If you go Sennheiser, I'd recommend either 595 or 580. AKG K501 and K271S are both very nice cans, but I believe it depends on your listening tastes.

If you buy used or refurbished, you could get the Grados and a pair of Senns or the Grados and a pair of AKGs. This would be optimal cause you could use the Grados for rock and the others for other types. And you get the taste of which sound signature you prefer. Go to www.headfi.com and check their classifieds section for good deals.

A

AngelusNexx

Junior Audioholic
i recommend the Audio Technica ATH-A900. They are a great headphone.

I also have a pair of HD650 that sound much better but Senns only sound good with certain music IMO.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Gatsby said:
I am largely a speaker user, but I own a pair of Sony MDR-V600's for when I need to use headphones (when my roommate is asleep, going to class, etc). I've been using these pretty much nonstop for 2 years and they're starting to wear out. I only spent about $60 on these but I'm looking to invest a little more in my next pair (but I'd like to keep it under $200).
I'm going to 2nd the Sony MDR-7506 suggestion. It's an excellent value, and IMO, drastically superior in almost every concievable[sound quality, accuracy, build quality, etc.] way when compared to the Sony MDR-V600. The A900 that another user suggested, is also nice, and maybe even a little more pleasing sounding to me than the 7506 on modern pop/electronic music, except that I thought the bass on the A900 sounded somewhat exagerated. But worth 2x the price as the 7506? I don't know about that...

-Chris

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis