I need a good clean demo!

A

AngelusNexx

Junior Audioholic
Hey guys im wondering if you can recommend a nice clean demo for me to use to demo speakers.

I need some very well recorded vocal demos with maybe just a few instruments in with it. Just vocals and piano or vocals and guitar would be ideal. Female and male.

On top of that just any well recorded demo music you can recommend would help. I listen to everything except country.

It is much harder than I thought to find music to demo with. Ive already used my music which im very familiar with so this is something a little different I want to try.

Thanks guys.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Dianna Krall is an excellent option. Dave Grusin (stuff like Mountain Dance).

Phase Tech has their own list of good stuff to listen, which I'll just copy-paste:

Diana Krall All For You Track 2
Fairfield Four I Couldn't Hear Nobody Pray 2 & 9
Lyle Lovett Joshua Judges Ruth 2 & 12
Dave Grusin Presents West Side Story 1
Holly Cole Trio Don't Smoke in Bed 1 & 12
DaDa Puzzle 7

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company has been added to my demo list. Not exactly "just vocals" but should do the trick.

B

BobbyT

Junior Audioholic
Mazzy Star-So Tonight That I Might See
Great female vocals with acoustic guitar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Patricia Barber - Companion or Cafe Blue. These are Mobile Fidelity and are excellent recordings.

Dave Mathews Band - Crash

Fiona Apple - Tidal

It's important to bring stuff that you are very familiar with though.

A

AngelusNexx

Junior Audioholic
Thanks a lot guys. Im sampling a few right now.

B

BobbyT

Junior Audioholic
j_garcia said:
It's important to bring stuff that you are very familiar with though.
This is the most important thing to remember.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
The best I have heard is the Eagles DVD "Hell Freezes Over".

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The HFO disc is OK, but the surrounds are a bit too aggressive on some tracks for my liking. The BEST track on there is definitely Seven Bridges Road.

For DVDs:

Diana Krall Live in Paris - DTS is one of the best I've heard.

Nine Inch Nails - DTS (full bitrate) is sweet if you like them. Make sure you get the DTS version, not the DD, if you are looking to pick this one up.

N

Newguy

Audiophyte
Another good demo...

One of my favorites is "Outbound" by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Wonderful recording and dynamic range. "Hoedown" ought to have everyone in the demo room tapping their feet!

P

Pat D

Audioholic
zachwhite0 said:
Hey guys im wondering if you can recommend a nice clean demo for me to use to demo speakers.

I need some very well recorded vocal demos with maybe just a few instruments in with it. Just vocals and piano or vocals and guitar would be ideal. Female and male.

On top of that just any well recorded demo music you can recommend would help. I listen to everything except country.

It is much harder than I thought to find music to demo with. Ive already used my music which im very familiar with so this is something a little different I want to try.

Thanks guys.
Well, vocals are important and you have had some excellent suggestions. I usually use Mark Knopfler or Roger Whittaker for male vocals and Diana Krall, Patricial Barber, or Angele Arsenault for female vocals. Personally, I never found guitar very helpful.

Generally, my initial auditions include five types of music:

-Full orchestra with massed upper strings (i.e., Beethoven or Mozart symphony)
-Male vocals
-Female vocals
-Mixed chorus (i.e., Mozart's Requiem, Handel's Messiah, 4th movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony)
-Classical piano (i.e., Beethoven sonata, Chopin, etc.)

Anything that gets through those is a pretty good speaker, and many don't make it through the first 3. It only takes a few minutes of each. You can go on from there for further auditioning. I have found Rachmaninoff's 2n Symphony can be problematic for many speakers--those long high notes in the violins in the first movement, for example.

I have found a Denon classical sampler to be helpful and convenient, because much of this can be found on one CD, but there are many others.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis