I just scored a pair of Bose 301 Series IV Speakers!

• Thread starter xSinisterDrakex
  • Start date
xSinisterDrakex

xSinisterDrakex

Junior Audioholic
So a buddy of mine is moving to Fort Worth and I was helping him load his U-Haul truck. He gave me a pair of these Bose 301 Series IV speakers. Now I've heard good and bad about bose speakers. I'm looking into replacing my surround speakers with these. Good idea or nah?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So a buddy of mine is moving to Fort Worth and I was helping him load his U-Haul truck. He gave me a pair of these Bose 301 Series IV speakers. Now I've heard good and bad about bose speakers. I'm looking into replacing my surround speakers with these. Good idea or nah?
The 301s might not make for terrible surrounds. They will have a much higher indirect-to-direct sound relative to conventional speakers, and that might be good for the ambient sound that is mostly what surrounds are used for. They would not be my first choice but hey, you can't complain about the cost. I think I would rather have the 301s as surrounds than the dipole speakers that many dedicated surrounds use as a design.

However, I wouldn't want to use them in a 7.1 surround sound system where the other surround pair are monopole, or bookshelf speakers. Use one type of the other for all surrounds, but don't mix the types. I think they will be fine in a 5.1 system.

xSinisterDrakex

xSinisterDrakex

Junior Audioholic
I decided to use them as replacement for my surrounds which were some cheap best buy bookshelf speakers (I said insignia before but they are actually Dynex) I got them mounted to the wall and redid the audyssey setup and WOW! These speakers sound amazing! Now I'm doing research to use the old surrounds as front height speakers for Dolby Atmos/DTS:X

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I decided to use them as replacement for my surrounds which were some cheap best buy bookshelf speakers (I said insignia before but they are actually Dynex) I got them mounted to the wall and redid the audyssey setup and WOW! These speakers sound amazing! Now I'm doing research to use the old surrounds as front height speakers for Dolby Atmos/DTS:X
I see you're in the zone!:)

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
What are ur ears telling u? That's the only thing that matters unless u have some jumbo theater setup or u're a HT aficionado. If the room is small I wouldn't go too crazy. I use an old pair of PSB Image B4 bookshelf's in tandem with my Focal LRC's in a 20'x20' room and I'm happy as a clam. Keep in mind that overall very little is sent to the rear surrounds in a standard 5.1 setup.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Should definitely be an improvement over those Dynex speakers. A friend of mine has used his 301s for many years as mains, loves them. All about what you like. I'd rather get paid with a pair of those than some beer that'll be gone in a few minutes :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Continue to use and enjoy the Bose 301 for surrounds

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis