I have this cheap 60 watt subwoofer why does it rattle? or makes a funny noise??

S

sabedra211

Junior Audioholic
I have this subwoofer and when i play it, a rattling noise come out of the port. I Have opened it up and saw nothing loose in there its not really like a rattle more like a sputter or something like when it plays a sputter comes out from the port.
Thanks!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
sabedra211 said:
I have this subwoofer and when i play it, a rattling noise come out of the port. I Have opened it up and saw nothing loose in there its not really like a rattle more like a sputter or something like when it plays a sputter comes out from the port.
Thanks!
When you say you opened it up, did you inspect the front of it as well? Si the cone surrounded by good foam or rubber to keep it in place?
Maybe there is soemthing internal you cannot see?
How lout are you playing th4e sub when this happens? If it happens at all levels, you have a mechanical problem. If at loud levels, you are over driving it.

S

slopoke

Audioholic Intern
Ah well cheap subs.

This is a lesson I learned hard.

I had a Yamaha HTB with a 60 watt sub. Certain parts of some DVDs (Monsters Inc. when the girl laughed) made this horrible BLAT!!! sound. So I went and bought a Klipsch KSW-10 sub. Made the rest of the HTB speakers sound like @$*&. So I went back and bought a set of matching Klipsch Synergy speakers (pre BB). Made the Yamaha reciever sound like %^$#. so I went back and bought a Denon 3802. The Denon is 7.1 not 5.1 so I bought 2 more Klipsch SS1 surrounds. On some DVDs the Klipsch sub would make this THUMP! sound (driver bottoming out) so I went and bought a Mirage OM-200 Sub. Made the Klipsch speakers sound like %^&$.........

Welcome to our addiction!!!

PS. Want to buy the Klipschs?

S

sabedra211

Junior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
When you say you opened it up, did you inspect the front of it as well? Si the cone surrounded by good foam or rubber to keep it in place?
Maybe there is soemthing internal you cannot see?
How lout are you playing th4e sub when this happens? If it happens at all levels, you have a mechanical problem. If at loud levels, you are over driving it.
Well i dont have it really loud for it to start thumping and stuff it just makes that noise i took out the woofer and played it with out the encloser and it did not sputter/rattle or what ever could it be the encloser? I contacted the company and they said the subwoofer has bad sealent and they told me to reseal the subwoofer.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
sabedra211 said:
Well i dont have it really loud for it to start thumping and stuff it just makes that noise i took out the woofer and played it with out the encloser and it did not sputter/rattle or what ever could it be the encloser? I contacted the company and they said the subwoofer has bad sealent and they told me to reseal the subwoofer.
I suspect the company is correct (especially so as the noise is a new event). Most likely a small crack in the foam surround for the woofer. The noise could be feed back through the port.

As to resealing the woofer, this is something that should only be done by somebody that is mechanically inclined. Placement of the woofer can be critical.

S

sabedra211

Junior Audioholic
I FOund out its not the Subwoofer

sjdgpt said:
I suspect the company is correct (especially so as the noise is a new event). Most likely a small crack in the foam surround for the woofer. The noise could be feed back through the port.

As to resealing the woofer, this is something that should only be done by somebody that is mechanically inclined. Placement of the woofer can be critical.
I Just found out 2day that it is not the subwoofer i played the woofer on my other home theater and i played it loud and it did not even rattle! so its the Reciever probably im shipping it to the company becouse the Dvd Door is Jammed so what Should i tell the Company about the Reciever?

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
sabedra211 said:
so its the Reciever probably im shipping it to the company becouse the Dvd Door is Jammed so what Should i tell the Company about the Reciever?

What kind of equipment do you have?

The only possible means for the receiver to be at fault would be if the receiver was sending an intermittent signal to the sub.

S

sabedra211

Junior Audioholic
sjdgpt said:
What kind of equipment do you have?

The only possible means for the receiver to be at fault would be if the receiver was sending an intermittent signal to the sub.
Its a Cheap Regent Ht-500 Home theater DVD you can Find it a www.lenoxx.com

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
sabedra211 said:
I Just found out 2day that it is not the subwoofer i played the woofer on my other home theater and i played it loud and it did not even rattle! so its the Reciever probably im shipping it to the company becouse the Dvd Door is Jammed so what Should i tell the Company about the Reciever?

The unit you have is a HTiB. When you send it back for the DVD door, you will most likely not receive the same unit back. This is what is generally called inexpensive consumer products. Typically the company will gut your unit, drop in new mechanical parts and bench test the unit for use as a replacement to the next customer. In the mean time, you get the unit that was rebuilt last month or last year from somebody else's problem unit.

If you are concerned, tell the service rep that you have some noise comming from the sub's output (if there is actually a RCA output for the sub) or tell the rep that you have noise in one of your speakers (and you have swapped speakers around to confirm it is the receiver-not the speakers). Noise is a generic enough term and will let them bench test the right components.

By the way, even entry level receivers from most Japanese companies are typically handled in the same manner. It is only the real high end stuff that might rebuilt and sent back to the original owner.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis