I finally started it....

G

genuinebigdog

Audioholic Intern
Well...

I have been on the forums for a little while now... reading, writing, listening. After serious consideration I decided to go ahead and start.

Today I purchased the first products for my Home Theatre System.

The first 2 thigns I bought was the reciever...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7046895&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03031&id=1107956964113

the next was the front left and right channel.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5584441&productCategoryId=cat03044&type=product&cmp=++&id=1061127108829

so whats left?
a sub
2 rears
a center channel

Please tell me I did something good today.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
That's a respectable system, and a start to some great surround sound. I like Yamaha products. I think you'll be pleased with the receiver. So have you hooked everything up? How does the system sound?

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Not a bad start.... :)

So what do you have in mind for these?? Or do you want opinions?

so whats left?
a sub
2 rears
a center channel

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
So far, so good.

Since you've been readingthis forum, you're probably aware that most of us recommend the center (at least) be timbre matched to the mains. The way this market goes, the manufacturers chance their line quite frequently. I'd suggest you procure a matching center speaker as quickly as possible.

As for movies, it isn't really critical the rear surrounds be matched. For multi channel music, I'd recomment it, though.

As far as subs go, there's really no matchng as long as you get a good one. Simply get the best you can swing, even if it means saving up for a while.

G

genuinebigdog

Audioholic Intern
hey. thanks for the reply.

No I haven't hooked up anything yet. I ordered today from bestbuy.com. I did the instore pickup thing...

...I will pick them up tuesday.

As far as the rest of the system goes....

rears...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1061127108717&type=product&skuId=5584398

center
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1055388006331&type=product&skuId=5584209

sub
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5584584&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03045&id=1061127108997

I am excited. I think for a while though I am just going to go with a 2.1 system. because from the price at bestbuy it doesn't look like any of these items is cheap. Also...

the reason I am choosing the products is because for some reason I "have" to have all products from the same brand. I think its a disorder I have. ;)

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
DO NOT BOTHER WITH THAT SUB!!!!!!!!!!!

Take it from a guy who owns a E250P with a 12".. Now this one is ok.
The E150, will bottom out very easy....AND WILL DISTORT AT LOW VOLUMES
I have demoed it.... DO NOT BOTHER.

The E250 is great, it is not boomy as most people state about consumer line of JBL. I have given small reviews of it here at Audioholics, I can point you in the direction of those posts if needed...

You can get the E250 for $232.00 shipped to your door. From a authorized dealer...

EDIT::: Here is a link you can get the E250P 500Watt 12" sub with a Frequency response of 25hz to crossover selection (80,100,150,200Hz Basically variable 25hz to 80-200hz)
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-JBL-Northridge-E250-12-250-Watts-Home-Theater-Sub_W0QQitemZ5801989172QQcategoryZ3275QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
It will be sealed and brand new... Also they have the other JBL's you are looking at for better prices...
They are a authorized dealer, so you will get the Full manufactures warranty..

For more specs on E250p, just click on the here link below on my signature...

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
brian32672 said:
DO NOT BOTHER WITH THAT SUB!!!!!!!!!!!

Take it from a guy who owns a E250P with a 12".. Now this one is ok.
The E150, will bottom out very easy....AND WILL DISTORT AT LOW VOLUMES
I have demoed it.... DO NOT BOTHER.

The E250 is great, it is not boomy as most people state about consumer line of JBL. I have given small reviews of it here at Audioholics, I can point you in the direction of those posts if needed...

You can get the E250 for $232.00 shipped to your door. From a authorized dealer...

EDIT::: Here is a link you can get the E250P 500Watt 12" sub with a Frequency response of 25hz to crossover selection (80,100,150,200Hz Basically variable 25hz to 80-200hz)
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-JBL-Northridge-E250-12-250-Watts-Home-Theater-Sub_W0QQitemZ5801989172QQcategoryZ3275QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
It will be sealed and brand new... Also they have the other JBL's you are looking at for better prices...
They are a authorized dealer, so you will get the Full manufactures warranty..

For more specs on E250p, just click on the here link below on my signature...

Sorry, Brian. You have been giving wonderful advice for weeks now. You even got a green attaboy from me. BUT....my advice is to never go with the ebay dealer you listed...for a variety of reasons. I won't get into them all, but they have given me very bad service. They sent me a DOA sub and it was like pulling teeth to get the situation corrected.

Also, the E250P is a 250W subwoofer, not 500W. Unless the original poster's compulsiveness to own all JBL dictates otherwise, I'd recommend Mac's Cadence Xsub or a 12" Pinnacle over the E series JBL sub. (I've had an S120PII, which is much better than the E250, and it was just as muddy as a pig bath (when it was working). I still have JBL speakers and like them. But NOT the sub, and definitely NOT from that dealer.

My .02 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
I see nothing wrong with the direction your system is heading. Keep up the posts and doa post in the my systems section when you are done.

~Bob

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
rjbudz said:
Sorry, Brian. You have been giving wonderful advice for weeks now. You even got a green attaboy from me. BUT....my advice is to never go with the ebay dealer you listed...for a variety of reasons. I won't get into them all, but they have given me very bad service. They sent me a DOA sub and it was like pulling teeth to get the situation corrected.
Hmm, sorry you feel that way. I have dealt with them twice. And both times I got great service. (EDIT:: Actually, I'm just about to buy from them again. NOTE:: FOR ORIGINAL POSTER; I am upgrading, if you live in Florida area, you can demo the E250 in my home-- Not a 10,000 square foot store, I would sell it for a decent price, just an upgrade, nothing wrong with sub. Its about 2-3 months old.)

Also, the E250P is a 250W subwoofer, not 500W. Unless the original poster's compulsiveness to own all JBL dictates otherwise, I'd recommend Mac's Cadence Xsub or a 12" Pinnacle over the E series JBL sub. (I've had an S120PII, which is much better than the E250, and it was just as muddy as a pig bath (when it was working). I still have JBL speakers and like them. But NOT the sub, and definitely NOT from that dealer.
Oh, I would have recommended the X-sub (28hz), or even the H100 Acoustech (which will hit 24hz). But he wanted to stay with JBL. The other great choice for JBL would be their Studio Series S120PII. Which is rms 400 watt and has a frequency response of 22hz - 200hz and is 56lbs. But it also costs more at about 330.00 shipped. The E250p is 250rms and 500 watt peak... (Edit:: Note on E250p I have used it for months, and have compared it to other subs, I do not find it muddy or boomy?? Perhaps better placement may have been in order?)

EDIT #2:: OOPS, actually it is rated at 550 watts peak.. Sorry for that..
But most times specs should not be taken to seriously. More of a guideline...IMO.

Last edited:
brian32672

brian32672

Banned
rjbudz said:
They sent me a DOA sub and it was like pulling teeth to get the situation corrected.
Was it the E250 or another sub? You could have just went with JBL, service. The eBay retailer is an authorized dealer "This is straight from JBL"

EDIT:: Well, there is a 5% chance of getting a bad item from anyone. Another poster had just had a bad item (Pioneer 1015tx) from Best Buy (This item was bought, on our recommendations here at Audioholics). And I have dealt with them (BB), on a return. It was ok. However the worst for a return was CompUSA, they are horrible, 10% return charge even on a defective item, because they did not have the same itme in stock....

Last edited:
brian32672

brian32672

Banned
rjbudz said:
You even got a green attaboy from me.
Hey, thanks... I will return the favor rj.
EDIT:: LOL, just not on that last post... ;)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I am excited. I think for a while though I am just going to go with a 2.1 system. because from the price at bestbuy it doesn't look like any of these items is cheap. Also...

the reason I am choosing the products is because for some reason I "have" to have all products from the same brand. I think its a disorder I have. ;)
No problem. We all have disorders. Most of us have this thing called "upgradeitis" and "lack of bass." ;) There's always something better out there. :(

When you have the funds, pick up this JBL sub from Ubid (A1 customer service and fast delivery). It will run you about what the 10" JBL does from Best Buy - with shipping. You can't buy a better sub for the money IMHO. It retails for $699, features a 400 watt amp, and weighs almost 60lbs. I agree with Brian on this one.

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=901044080

Website info.
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.asp?ProdId=S120PII&SerId=STU

This is too much for too little!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5584584&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03045&id=1061127108997

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Buckeyefan 1 said:
pick up this JBL sub from Ubid (A1 customer service and fast delivery).
Yeah, however the only problem there is that Ubid is not a authorized dealer.
At least thats what I know, so if there is a problem a year from now, he could not bother JBL with an exchange.
The company I gave is authorized, and they also have that sub as well. But it will cost about 15.00 more over Ubid, that includes shipping.
Sorry the one fellow, had a problem. But heck I have returned items to Best Buy, CompUSA, Circuit City, Walmart, Target, Publix, Home Depot, etc....
EDIT:: Each had their own way of dealing with returns, some hard some easy. The easiest to deal with is Walmart, but I don't think you would ever find that setup at Walmart, or even any decent setup other than a remotely decent HTIB from Walmart.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Nice catch Brian. I didn't realize ubid was not on the JBL list. Too bad. J&R is a great company, and has that unit for $379 with free shipping. If $29 is worth your peace of mind, get it there.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=2894529

I'd also recommend the 12" XSUB, the 12" Venturi 1220, and the 12" Acoustech H100 sub (Brian is about to get one in a few days and report to us).

I'm not yet sold on the $138 Dayton 12". The components just don't look well built to me (small amp and cheap looking driver). Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic deal at the price, but IMO doesn't compare to the above listed subs.

The problem for our poster here is that he wants a matching JBL setup, so I'd still recommend the $379 sub based on his wish list (definitely over the E150P).

E

einsteinjb

Audioholic
I have to STRONGLY agree with the comments made, do NOT buy the E150P sub, and do NOT buy anything from BestBuy unless you have to. IMO the convenience of picking up from your local store is SO not worth the inflated prices. They want $359.99 for the E150P, sick. You can have the very decent Cadence XSub, which I just bought this week direct from www.cadencestore.com, for $245 shipped to your door (mine was here in 2 days!!). It's a 350 watt 12" sub, and so far my impression is it's no match for a decent $500 sub like an SVS or Hsu (which I haven't heard yet I will admit but there's no doubt from the volumes of feedback here on them, they rock), but it's worth more than the $245 I paid. I'm still breaking it in, but so far I like it. I do want a sub with deeper extension, as this one really starts to roll off below maybe 40 Hz and it's not as clean as the pro gear I'm used to, but with EQ it's doing a nice job so far and geez the price is crazy.

My strong recommendation is to get professional counseling and break your one-brand fixation. It's often a good idea but in the case of subs, I agree with the comments that you do not need to brand match your sub. Much better to get a GOOD sub, and it'll match anything decent you pair it with. As I really haven't auditioned the cheap JBL subs I can't really comment on them but I have heard enough of the E150P to know it's utter crap and way overpriced at ANY price. Please tell us you did NOT spend almost $400 on it! The SVS PB10-ISD is only $429 plus shipping and for that extra money you'll get a KILLER sub.

If you refuse counseling and must buy a JBL sub, at least spend that money on the S120PII at a good online dealer. For about the same price you paid, it will be a whole other world, like getting a new Lexus instead of a 20 year old Chevette. I haven't heard this sub either but I know enough about JBL to know that their better stuff is close to pro-level while their lowest-end consumer stuff is overpriced and average at best.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
I agree with the above post, specially the sub does not need to be matched. However the 40hz rolloff on the X-sub may be wrong. Probably closer to about 32hz. And should actually extend to about 28hz, just not at high volumes.
The E250 may actually extend further than the X-sub, but would not have as much spl.
The S120PII should actually go further than both of these 2, and IMO is a bargain Pro sub. Here is a link for it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5802552090&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

I was going to get the X-sub, but I think I will skip that step and just get the S12PII instead, and I will compare all 3 subs at one time the H100, E250P, and S120PII.

I will post comments when I have finished the tests...
The H100 is on its way (taking longer to ship than I expected, this I bought from a guy who had 3 new ones)
And the S120PII I will get in about a week, maybe 2...

BTW, for the above poster, speaker break in is more myth.
Here read this.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=94620#post94620
I still think they need slight break in, but this can be done within the first half hour..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis