D

DeepSeaDan

Junior Audioholic
...by the sage audio-visual wisdom contained in these pages - true Einsteins of sound & light...

I can now only hope that I've sucked-up enough to get one or more of you audio-videophiles to take pity on a t-i-a-b-type guy who has seen the light & WANTS MORE for his home theater buck!!!

I've got about 5 g's ( Canuck bucks, but were about par with y'all now ) to spend; thus far I've had two suggestions:

1. Harmon-Kardon components, top-of-the-hometheaterline Infinity TS-4000 loudspeakers & a Panasonic 50" ( TH50PZ700U ) plasma

2. Sherwood Newcastle R-871 ( or higher ) with Bohlender-Graebener Z series loudspeakers & a Pioneer Elite 50"

For the dough, how would you go?

Mine is a basement room 17 x 20 x 7 ( immediate viewing area ); the room extends another 25' in length then turns 90 degrees right for 20' x 10'.

With thanks,
DSD

Last edited:
HK is OK, but for the money you have available I think you've surpassed their capabilities. Compare the new Yamaha receivers with the current line-up from Marantz and Denon. At your budget I'd spent around $999-$1500 on the AV receiver. Most fo teh rest of the money can go towards speakers, a subwoofer (or two) and a good source player (like a PS3 if you're in a hurry for Blu-ray)

I've got some recommendations here for your budget (that Panasonic you mention is fine):

http://www.audioholics.com/buying-guides/system-buying-guides/the-5000-audio-centric-system

http://www.audioholics.com/buying-guides/system-buying-guides/the-5000-video-centric-system/equipment-product-recommendations

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I'm assuming that the $5K budget must include the display as well as the audio components. As near as I can tell, the display is going to take up pretty close to half the budget, leaving $2500 or so for audio. A PS3 seems like a no-brainer decision at this budget level for all the features it brings to the table (Blu-Ray, upconverting DVD, wireless streaming music server and web browser, built in hard drive...Oh...and games). So after that you have $2100 left.

You have a large space so a good sub is needed, something like a Hsu VTF-2 MK3 for $499 as in Clint's second link, leaving $1600. I'm certain the STF-1 in the first link would not be enough sub for the size of your space. Even if you budget $1000 for speakers, which is still lower than I'd like to see for a good five speaker set (a stretch to the Axioms in Clint's first link would be a good choice), that leaves only $600 or less for a receiver. The Yamaha in the first link is a solid choice for the money.

Clint has offered some fine recommendations to think about, but boy does that display eat into the budget. It really forces some compromises in other areas, but with a room that big I'd rather not see you skimp on the sub. And for the price of the PS3, your not going to really save enough going with other options, unless you go with the cheap of the cheap DVD players which probably isn't a good idea either.

D

DeepSeaDan

Junior Audioholic
Gentlemen,

I appreciate your time & advice.

The principal reason I mentioned H.-K. is that it is available through Direct Buy & I am always keen to utilize their service as it was expensive to join ( regretably, their available selection of participating high-end Aud/Vid. manuf.'s is somewhat lacking in scope...). I am not averse to purchasing other systems outside D.B. as it is pointless to spend money without satisfaction.

While I appreciate good sound & picture, I would not classify myself even remotely as dedicated to the pursuit as the good members of this board; having said that, do you think the H.K. equipment would be satisfactory in concert with the aforementioned Infinity line of H.T. loudspeakers?

Thanks again,
DSD

D

DeepSeaDan

Junior Audioholic
Very nice...

HK is OK, but for the money you have available I think you've surpassed their capabilities. Compare the new Yamaha receivers with the current line-up from Marantz and Denon. At your budget I'd spent around $999-$1500 on the AV receiver. Most fo teh rest of the money can go towards speakers, a subwoofer (or two) and a good source player (like a PS3 if you're in a hurry for Blu-ray)

I've got some recommendations here for your budget (that Panasonic you mention is fine):
....systems!

Another question: What constitutes the most economical means of purchasing the equipment listed?

Thanks!
DSD

majorloser

majorloser

The new Yamaha RX-V663 is an awesome receiver for $500 US. The RX-V853 has a couple more features and a little more power, but costs about $900 US.

Put the $400 savings toward a good subwoofer or bigger plasma :)

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I'd probably pick up the Yammie 663 and an amp from Emotiva. Or, if you can wait, an LMC-2 with an amp. Then like Clint said, put the rest towards speakers. You need to audition speakers to find out what you like. Trust your ears.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis