HTPC your next processor?  Brand names dying out?

A

_audiouser_

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>cool link about intel and convergance

http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.html?i=1868&amp;p=5

As HT grows in popularity more and bigger eyes will be on this market. &nbsp;Not that I expect to see an Intel TV or ATI speakers anytime soon, but I wouldn't be shocked to see set-top video and audio processors coming soon. &nbsp;If you consider how cheap it is to make a digital amp it becomes even more tempting to do a all-in-one solution (not saying it's good, but good enough 80% of people won't care).

The Xbox is very close to being this product right now. &nbsp;Bill G really really wants to own the whole home, &nbsp;and has said so. &nbsp;I hope other vendors see the writing on the wall so they can counter and react to it with something other than new marketing plan or closed standard (both of which will fail).

Anyone else</font>

<font color='#000080'>This is really going to depend upon what technologies make their way into these units. Certainly, if they incorporate enough they will be competition for mainstream solutions, but I wonder if they coudl compete with the fidelity af the major manufacturers - ala Denon, HK, Yamaha, etc...

So far, I've only seen front end solutions as well, while receivers continue to thrive and advance. With lowering of DVD players and the like, it may not be as easy as some would think.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis