M

malibumike

Audioholic Intern
Hello,

I'm building a HTPC, my budget is around 500. Here's what I've come up with but I have a few questions..

AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory (may get one 8gb stick instead)..

LIAN LI Black PC-C50B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ASUS F2A85-M/CSM Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.2 80 PLUS Certified (I have this power supply already)

1) When it comes to 7.1 surround sound to my pioneer vsx-1021-k receiver. I've read in several places that I cannot run 7.1 through spdif. My question is will the HDMI on the motherboard work?

2) Is a 500watt power supply to much? What would you recommend?

3) Will this computer be loud? I'd really like to keep it very quiet, so I need recommendations. I realize the cpu fan is loud from what everyone is saying.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
B

bilesteve

Enthusiast
I have a 1021K receiver and yes, the HDMI output from my ATI 5570 does output surround sound, but I am only using 5.1. It was necessary for me to download a driver from Realtek for ATI HDMIs and that was all it took to work.

S

shelterit

Audiophyte
I built a HTPC back in April and I used the AMD A6 3500 apu specifically for the 65W triple-core. It runs cooler and draws less power. I also replaced the stock noisy CPU fan with Scythe SCSK-1100 CPU cooler. The thing is silent! I also used 4 Enermax UC-8EB 80mm case fans just make sure the temps stayed down. This box is whisper quiet!

As far as noise goes, besides the CPU cooler, your main culprit will be your Power supply fan. Since you already have it you should know what it sounds like. Personally I think that PSU is a little overboard but if you have it and its not to loud, save the money an use it.

I run HDMI audio from my HTPC(Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H motherboard) to my Onkyo AVR and run 5.1 no problem. I dont have 7.1 setup and probably never will in this room so I cant answer to the 7.1 question. I use XBMC on my HTPC and stream from my WHS 2003 box. For a controller I use the Iogear GKM561R Wireless Keyboard. I like this a lot, it has a trackball mouse built in and works very well. I just wish the keys were backlit.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis