HTPC: Optical input & sound card

I

Imogen

Audiophyte
Hello,

I've just recently built a HTPC/Media Server. I'm looking to add a optical input to my new computer for surrround sound speakers how would I do this?

Would I need to buy a new sound card? My current sound card is onboard my motherboard.

Could you please reccomend a sound card for me up too a maxium of £200. Also looking for some good entry level speakers.

If you neeed or would like any further details on my setup just ask.

Thank you,

Imogen :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello,

I've just recently built a HTPC/Media Server. I'm looking to add a optical input to my new computer for surrround sound speakers how would I do this?

Would I need to buy a new sound card? My current sound card is onboard my motherboard.

Could you please reccomend a sound card for me up too a maxium of £200. Also looking for some good entry level speakers.

If you neeed or would like any further details on my setup just ask.

Thank you,

Imogen :)
Just get video card with hdmi out, if you intend to play blurays be sure to get Radeon 5xxx series or higher. The cheapest one with hdmi out will do

About speakers - You need to us your budget first...

I

Imogen

Audiophyte
Hi thanks for replying so quickly. I have a ATI 5870 and I'm thinking of getting another one as I sometimes play games :eek:. As for my speaker budget um £200 - £300 but could go too £500 if I had too.

So using a HDMI output is as good as using an optical cable?

:)

Forgot to mention I have a Blu-ray RE

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi thanks for replying so quickly. I have a ATI 5870 and I'm thinking of getting another one as I sometimes play games :eek:. As for my speaker budget um £200 - £300 but could go too £500 if I had too.

So using a HDMI output is as good as using an optical cable?

:)

Forgot to mention I have a Blu-ray RE
No HDMI is better than optical cable as it carries both video and audio plus it's required if you want to get full quality video and audio from BR movies anyways.

You need receiver and speakers. If I were you - I'd be looking for both used ...
I'd also be looking for Wharfedale brand speakers..
http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/

They are good quality and value.

I

Imogen

Audiophyte
Great, I'll do that. I was always under the impression that optical cable was the way to go but to be honest, I don't know much about these things and I was likely reading out of date websites.

Thanks for your time it's much appreciated.

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
Im confused im looking to do this to ...i thought youd need optical off the soundcard for sound from games, and your music. Does hdmi only work for sound and video when you play blu rays? Thought the sound card handles all the audio? Didnt think the hdmi off the video card carries any audio.

harleyoz

harleyoz

Audioholic Intern
Usually there is optical out from the mother board (unless really old) , or at least co- axial. I ran my HTPC for years from my mother board Optical out & sreamed SPDIF to my Yamaha reciever for Movies, games & music.
either Optical or co ax will be fine for digital audio if you dont want to updrade cards

jinjuku

jinjuku

Im confused im looking to do this to ...i thought you'd need optical off the soundcard for sound from games, and your music. Does hdmi only work for sound and video when you play blu rays? Thought the sound card handles all the audio? Didnt think the hdmi off the video card carries any audio.
There is an audio section on current HDMI equipped video cards.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis