J

jalyst

Enthusiast
They're almost exactly the same height & width, but the cw02 is substantially (4cm/40mm) deeper.
I'm not clear on what you're asking though?

I personally won't have a massive HS+fan/s as I'm going the WC route.

So you successfully converted your 92mm intakes to 120mm intakes?
I want to do that once I get my case, but I wasn't sure if I'd have enough room for the cuts!

I'm also going to fashion a filtration box (among a few other mods), still a WIP :)
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4785456#post4785456

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hard to say,
They're almost exactly the same height & width, but the cw02 is substantially (4cm/40mm) deeper.

So you successfully converted your 92mm vents to 120mm vents on your cw02's base?
I want to do that as soon as I get my case, but I wasn't sure if I'd have enough room to do the cuts!

I'm also going to fashion a filtration box (among a few other mods), still a WIP :)
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4785456#post4785456
For some reason my memory is not very good anymore, but I did replace those 2 bottom fans with 120mm fans on both my CW02 cases.

I can't remember why either, but I also replaced the default 120mm rear fan just to match the brand of the two bottom fans and the two CPU fans? Right now I can't even remember the brand of the fans!:eek: I know they have the neon blue lights and different speed settings.:D

I can't wait to see the pics on your finished CW02 mod!:D

I'm sure it will look awesome!

My humble CW02s will bow down to your mightly CW02.:D

J

jalyst

Enthusiast
Sorry, I posted an updated response to your post.
Seems you've responded to my original (deleted) response :eek:

Also, how did you install 120mm fans on the 2x 92mm intakes?
You would've had to cut them to a larger size, how'd you do that?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, I posted an updated response to your post.
Seems you've responded to my original (deleted) response :eek:

Also, how did you install 120mm fans on the 2x 92mm intakes?
You would've had to cut them to a larger size, how'd you do that?
I can't remember exactly, but I think I just used one of the 4 screws on the bottom fan, and then did some internal attachments to secure the rest of the fan to the case. :eek:

Because the fans are on the bottom, I can't see much of anything right now. I have 6 HDDs in each of my 2 CW02s.

J

jalyst

Enthusiast
Ah I see... That'd mean you'd have a large chunk of both fans not intaking through the vents.
I want to cut both 92mm vents to 120mm (inc bolt holes), so that I can screw in 120mm fans, & not have their flow impeded.
YTD if it's doable....

Thanks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ah I see... That'd mean you'd have a large chunk of both fans not intaking through the vents.
I want to cut both 92mm vents to 120mm (inc bolt holes), so that I can screw in 120mm fans, & not have their flow impeded.
YTD if it's doable....

Thanks.
Why can't these case designers just do 120mm fans for us in the first place?:eek::D

Good luck with your modding!

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Why can't these case designers just do 120mm fans for us in the first place?:eek::D

Good luck with your modding!
They do you just need to get the right case. :)

Check out the case i have linked a few posts back......best stock cooling i have ever seen.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They do you just need to get the right case. :)

Check out the case i have linked a few posts back......best stock cooling i have ever seen.
True, but the only 2 cases I've seen so far that blow me away aesthetically are the SilverStone CW02 and that Origen S21t.

There are other HTPC cases that have more 120mm fans, but they just don't look that great to me.

J

jalyst

Enthusiast
Remote Max & GD05 were on my short-list, not my short, short-list though.
As they were just too limited, in too many ways for my needs.
Their stock cooling is to be commended though....

Last edited:
krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
True, but the only 2 cases I've seen so far that blow me away aesthetically are the SilverStone CW02 and that Origen S21t.

There are other HTPC cases that have more 120mm fans, but they just don't look that great to me.
I would show you how sexy that case is in person....but your not here...and for some reason I really suck at taking pictures of PC's....so much glare. :)

digicidal

digicidal

Full Audioholic
This comes in this week.....looks to be a killer deal at $81 shipped.
So how do you like it? I've got two of those... one as a project and the other one houses my jukebox for my dedicated 2ch rig. It's nice... totally silent in my case as I have 3 scythe fans that spin at 600RPM replacing the stock ones. However, even those are on a thermal switch which won't turn them on until the inside of the case hits 50C... which it's never close to.

Added a fanless Intel Atom board and DC PS so nothing inside can generate any electrical or acoustical noise when it's running (well apart from the chips themselves... but can't turn them off and have it work). :D

Oh and for those that want a sexier version of basically the same case - Lian Li (love them) has one now that's bascially a straight copy.

I'll look for it... can't remember the model off the top of my head tho.

FOUND IT :D

It says 2X120mm 1X80mm - however it has capability of adding third 120mm fan on opposite side as indicated in the pictures... it just doesn't ship with a fan there. (Plus I believe it would have to be a slim fan because it has to squeeze in next to the optical drive. But they wouldn't put screw holes there if one couldn't be put there... it's Lian Li after all.

Last edited:
krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
So how do you like it? I've got two of those... one as a project and the other one houses my jukebox for my dedicated 2ch rig. It's nice... totally silent in my case as I have 3 scythe fans that spin at 600RPM replacing the stock ones. However, even those are on a thermal switch which won't turn them on until the inside of the case hits 50C... which it's never close to.

Added a fanless Intel Atom board and DC PS so nothing inside can generate any electrical or acoustical noise when it's running (well apart from the chips themselves... but can't turn them off and have it work). :D

Oh and for those that want a sexier version of basically the same case - Lian Li (love them) has one now that's bascially a straight copy.

I'll look for it... can't remember the model off the top of my head tho.

FOUND IT :D

It says 2X120mm 1X80mm - however it has capability of adding third 120mm fan on opposite side as indicated in the pictures... it just doesn't ship with a fan there. (Plus I believe it would have to be a slim fan because it has to squeeze in next to the optical drive. But they wouldn't put screw holes there if one couldn't be put there... it's Lian Li after all.
I love this case.....fantastic air flow and its nearly silent as I have it in a custom made piece of furniture that is closed on the front.

K

k_lewis

Junior Audioholic
I have an Ahanix DVine case and it's pretty sweet. Very well built

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
This comes in this week.....looks to be a killer deal at $81 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036WTDGQ/ref=oss_product
I will vouch for this case - I don't need flashy and I don't need loud like many others, but honestly I will never even see them as they are in the basement for both my systems...

Krzywica came over last week and helped me get both my XBMC's setup, control for both are done with the nook color just like his own setup - I can also control either setup from my iphone, but the app is nowhere near as nice as the android app...

I don't think I could be any more thrilled - thanks again krzywica... You are a freakin Ninja !!!!!

M

mlknez

Enthusiast
Thin case help

I am building an HTPC with only an ssd for a boot drive as all storage will be network attached (over 50TB). I will need a bay for a blu-ray drive however. I would like to find the thinnest case possible. My build will use an intel 3570x and a gigabyte z77mx-d3h motherboard. What are my options? Lian Li has a case that is 4 inches high, but I would prefer something about half that height. I do not need a volume dial. Any suggestions?

poutanen

poutanen

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the suggestion. I saw that one before but eliminated it as it does not have room for a blu-ray drive
I think it's going to be pretty hard to find a unit 2" tall that has room for a drive, plus all the rest... I saw a lot in the 3.9-4.1" range that will support mATX boards, full height CD drives, multiple hard drives, etc.

The nMedia PC case I bought isn't so great. The form factor is perfect for me, as it fits a full ATX board, the hard drive tray holds 6 drives, and the built in fans are relatively quiet. The expansion port section was horrible though, I had to use an angle grinder to get the cutouts out to be able to fit cards in... They should just pop right out. And some cards don't fit quite right. Function has been excellent though and you never see the back of the unit so for day to day use it doesn't bother me at all...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis